• Oct 9th, 2019 11:17 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5035 posts
917 upvotes
Peterborough
nighthawk26 wrote:
May 27th, 2016 10:52 pm
What do you mean they are in the same box inside? Pic or model number would help. Shot answer is no way should you put that kind of money into an R22 AC unit that won't really be fixable next year with Freon being completely phased out. Also, why buy a 13 SEER unit for that price when you can spend a little more and get a 14.5 energy star which will almost have the cost difference offset by a $400 IESO rebate. Unit will be more efficient, and in most cases quieter.
Sorry - the air unit is in the same housing as the furnace unit is what I meant. I believe it is a keeprite unit. They are swapping the coil with one that is compliant with a gas other than freon, but you are correct, it is a freon unit.

I believe the new unit would be Bryant based on what is on their website.

Im not following about the 14.5 comment and the rebate. Are you saying the 13 is not eligible for the rebate but if I go to the 14.5 Im rebate eligible?
[QUOTE]I know you are, but what am I.... ;) [/QUOTE]
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2006
1867 posts
148 upvotes
dutchca wrote:
May 27th, 2016 11:54 pm
Sorry - the air unit is in the same housing as the furnace unit is what I meant. I believe it is a keeprite unit. They are swapping the coil with one that is compliant with a gas other than freon, but you are correct, it is a freon unit.

Im not following about the 14.5 comment and the rebate. Are you saying the 13 is not eligible for the rebate but if I go to the 14.5 Im rebate eligible?
Your condenser is still R22 which means you are still using Freon. When the condenser fails, you are going to want to replace the lines and the coil. Someone I am sure will tell you to flush with a flush kit, but that is not the proper way to to do it.

Again, you should post a pic or give a model number of this unit. Is it an electric furnace/air handler or something? As for rebates, that is what I am saying. 13 SEER no rebate, 14.5 Rebate of $400. You have better, smarter options for sure. Again fixing a 12 yr old Freon Unit with that costly a repair is not something I would advise.
Jun 17, 2010
334 posts
102 upvotes
My A/C is not blowing cold air. Had a guy I who replace a capacitor last year to come check it out. He said the pressure was zero and he filled it back to 60
Told me that there is a leak and the best option if to replace it with a new one. He said will be around $1800 for a 2 ton.
my house is 10 years old, was thinking may be I should get the A/C replaced as well as the furnace... no sure what to do, any advice will be much appreciated...
Jan 9, 2006
111 posts
8 upvotes
Hi everyone...

I just had installed a new themopump in my house and I find the AC air coming out from my vents is too cold... what temperature should the air be at ? we now can feel the cold air coming at us and it's annoying... thanks
stef
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2007
2880 posts
355 upvotes
Montreal
Hello everyone,

Just trying to figure out what is wrong. The air from the vents is very weak. Both when the thermopump is working and when the oil furnace kicks in. Removing the filter doesn't help the air flow much. Could it be a clog or a leak somewhere? I don't feel any air leaking or is it the blower starting to go? Unit is about 10 years old and only started happening a few months ago.

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5035 posts
917 upvotes
Peterborough
herbeapuce wrote:
May 28th, 2016 5:33 pm
Hi everyone...

I just had installed a new themopump in my house and I find the AC air coming out from my vents is too cold... what temperature should the air be at ? we now can feel the cold air coming at us and it's annoying... thanks
stef
When ours was working, it was coming out at 55-58 degrees at the registers.
[QUOTE]I know you are, but what am I.... ;) [/QUOTE]
Nov 29, 2015
47 posts
23 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
rfd_parasite wrote:
May 26th, 2016 1:40 am
Question about dual zone furnaces. Basically in an older home with 2nd floor being really hot compared to main floor. We will probably be replacing the furnace shortly (AC still good) given the current incentives. What needs to be done in a general sense to retrofit an older home to enable the dual zone?

Open to opinions/thoughts/recommendations.

Thanks. K
Perhaps you are confusing dual zone with dual stage? It's a big difference. Not many furnaces are dual zone.

2nd floor being hot compared to main floor could all or partially be attributed to duct leakage. Sealing your ducts (either DIY or pro) is cheaper than having a new furnace installed (which may not even be the problem).

Disclaimer: we do duct sealing.
Aug 25, 2010
295 posts
60 upvotes
toronto
Hi everyone, I need some help troubleshooting. My A/C is blowing out cold air but the air flow from the vents is really weak. The A/C unit was just replaced last year and the filter has been cleaned. Anyone have any suggestions.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2006
1867 posts
148 upvotes
jungle88 wrote:
May 28th, 2016 12:30 am
My A/C is not blowing cold air. Had a guy I who replace a capacitor last year to come check it out. He said the pressure was zero and he filled it back to 60
Told me that there is a leak and the best option if to replace it with a new one. He said will be around $1800 for a 2 ton.
my house is 10 years old, was thinking may be I should get the A/C replaced as well as the furnace... no sure what to do, any advice will be much appreciated...
Anytime I see pricing like this, I question the legitimacy of the person. Then I read that he jut topped up refrigerant, and it validates my thought further. It is illegal to simply top it up without finding the source of the leak first. Wonder what else doesn't get done proper with that lowball quote.

My advice, contact some reputable companies to quote you on new AC. An energy star 14.5 SEER o higher AC. One that will get you a IESO. The unit you have now will be Freon which has been in a phase out process for almost 10 years and next year the shaddy top up guy won't even be able to do that as it will be 100% banned all together. IE> A R22 unit is a paperweight after a failure after next year.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2006
1867 posts
148 upvotes
azn16 wrote:
May 29th, 2016 2:38 pm
Hi everyone, I need some help troubleshooting. My A/C is blowing out cold air but the air flow from the vents is really weak. The A/C unit was just replaced last year and the filter has been cleaned. Anyone have any suggestions.
Any Ice forming on the lines going into the outside unit, or where they go into the top of the furnace? From what you've listed so far, my guess would be coil is frozen. If you ahve checked filter and not the issue, the only other result is likely from low charge.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2006
1867 posts
148 upvotes
gnuman wrote:
May 28th, 2016 7:50 pm
Hello everyone,

Just trying to figure out what is wrong. The air from the vents is very weak. Both when the thermopump is working and when the oil furnace kicks in. Removing the filter doesn't help the air flow much. Could it be a clog or a leak somewhere? I don't feel any air leaking or is it the blower starting to go? Unit is about 10 years old and only started happening a few months ago.

Thanks!
As above. Any ice on lineset at furnace or outdoor unit? Any water pooling around top of furnace or floor? Suspect a frozen coil.
Apr 29, 2010
908 posts
66 upvotes
London
I have an older HVAC system. THe furnace is hanging in there fine but the A/C has, for a long time, been quite weak. It blows cool air but it is very faint as if the blower is inadequate.

I had the A/C running for 24hrs then noticed the refrigerant tubing caked with ice just before entering into the duct housing (see photo below). I can't locate any screws to remove the paneling where the evaporator coil is (still trying to figure how to gain access) but i did notice a small hole (capped) that i could peak into. At first i thought i saw tin foil everywhere inside but in fact it was ice completely covering the evaporator coil. What could be causing this to happen? Any recommended troubleshooting steps to isolate the issue?

Thanks

Temp. Banned
Dec 19, 2009
3504 posts
1491 upvotes
rosario99 wrote:
May 29th, 2016 4:31 pm
I have an older HVAC system. THe furnace is hanging in there fine but the A/C has, for a long time, been quite weak. It blows cool air but it is very faint as if the blower is inadequate.

I had the A/C running for 24hrs then noticed the refrigerant tubing caked with ice just before entering into the duct housing (see photo below). I can't locate any screws to remove the paneling where the evaporator coil is (still trying to figure how to gain access) but i did notice a small hole (capped) that i could peak into. At first i thought i saw tin foil everywhere inside but in fact it was ice completely covering the evaporator coil. What could be causing this to happen? Any recommended troubleshooting steps to isolate the issue?

Thanks

It is either not enough air going across the coil (dirty filter/coil) or your charge is low .
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1851 posts
1056 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
How do I get my furnace to suck the cold air from my basement and blow it upstairs (without having to use the a/c)? My house has the return air vents only upstairs, none in the basement.