Home & Garden

Ask me anything about HVAC heating air conditioning air quality control

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2024 3:29 pm
Jun 23, 2019
663 posts
524 upvotes
newlyborn wrote: Collector box and gasket IS COVERED under insurance. Heat exchanger is the only exception. It seems you guys are being taken for ride. You can have gaslet and collector box replaced privately and let reliance change the gas valve afterwards. Relaince will be responsible to remove the red tag.
Is there something in writing that shows the collector box and gasket is covered, also can I get the third part contractor to remove the red tag instead of reliance if reliance insist that they won't cover the collector box and gasket?
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4517 posts
3449 upvotes
Vaughan
You can challenge Reliance asking for a contract that states the gasket/collector box is not covered. AFAIK contract stipulates that all parts of the furnace are covered except heat exchanger. When I worked for Direct Energy / Reliance, I never heard that these parts are not covered. Sorry, I don't have a copy of the contract to show you.
The person who is doing the final repair is liable to remove the red tag.
vrscdx wrote: Is there something in writing that shows the collector box and gasket is covered, also can I get the third part contractor to remove the red tag instead of reliance if reliance insist that they won't cover the collector box and gasket?
Certified HVAC Pro. Committed to Customer, not brand. Past RFD Review
2024 AC, Furnace, Heat Pump and Water Heater Groupbuy
Jun 23, 2019
663 posts
524 upvotes
newlyborn wrote: You can challenge Reliance asking for a contract that states the gasket/collector box is not covered. AFAIK contract stipulates that all parts of the furnace are covered except heat exchanger. When I worked for Direct Energy / Reliance, I never heard that these parts are not covered. Sorry, I don't have a copy of the contract to show you.
The person who is doing the final repair is liable to remove the red tag.
Thank you for clearing this up, when I called reliance I said I didn't see anything on the terms and conditions saying it's not covered, but she told me to call the technician because he determines what is covered. The technician said it's not covered and was being very rude to me when I said I would have a third party contractor replace the box and gasket. He said he won't install the gas valve unless the box/gasket are changed first, so I'm worried he will say the box/gasket wasn't done correctly or find something else to not remove the red tag. I would much rather have reliance install the gas valve first, then have a third party licensed contractor remove the red tag once he changes the box and gasket.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
3149 posts
1952 upvotes
GTA
vrscdx wrote: Thank you for clearing this up, when I called reliance I said I didn't see anything on the terms and conditions saying it's not covered, but she told me to call the technician because he determines what is covered. The technician said it's not covered and was being very rude to me when I said I would have a third party contractor replace the box and gasket. He said he won't install the gas valve unless the box/gasket are changed first, so I'm worried he will say the box/gasket wasn't done correctly or find something else to not remove the red tag. I would much rather have reliance install the gas valve first, then have my third party contractor remove the red tag once he changes the box and gasket.
Rule for others, dont get home warranty plans, they will come in red tag your equipment and then get $$$ somehow from you to get it back online working.

I dont know how many furnaces/hot water tank replacement jobs I've gotten because reliance/enbridge/meter technician came into the home to re-light pilot/check equipment then retag it. "Heat exchanger cracked" maybe 1 out of 10 did have a cracked one. They see something 10+ years they gonna try and red tag it.

Dont let them in your house, dont get a plan. Install new equipment and then call a tech in when theres a problem. Same with water tanks, try and outright own them and not rent, whole other thread explaining why.
Jun 23, 2019
663 posts
524 upvotes
lilmikey wrote: Rule for others, dont get home warranty plans, they will come in red tag your equipment and then get $$$ somehow from you to get it back online working.

I dont know how many furnaces/hot water tank replacement jobs I've gotten because reliance/enbridge/meter technician came into the home to re-light pilot/check equipment then retag it. "Heat exchanger cracked" maybe 1 out of 10 did have a cracked one. They see something 10+ years they gonna try and red tag it.

Dont let them in your house, dont get a plan. Install new equipment and then call a tech in when theres a problem. Same with water tanks, try and outright own them and not rent, whole other thread explaining why.
I already told my in-laws, once this is fixed to cancel the warranty plan, the biggest rip off ever. We are going to call the customer care line tomorrow morning and see if they will cover the parts since talking to a normal rep is getting us nowhere, and the reliance tech won't help saying it's not covered.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
3149 posts
1952 upvotes
GTA
vrscdx wrote: I already told my in-laws, once this is fixed to cancel the warranty plan, the biggest rip off ever. We are going to call the customer care line tomorrow morning and see if they will cover the parts since talking to a normal rep is getting us nowhere, and the reliance tech won't help saying it's not covered.
Tell them to repair for free or you will be leaving and getting it all fixed by another company.
Jun 1, 2016
14 posts
1 upvote
Hi Everyone,
Need advice as I am a first time home owner.
I need an AC unit with installation in ottawa, my house is 2030 sqft without basement and 2664 with finished basement . It is a brand new home and the rough in is already there for the AC unit.

The builder is normally putting a 2 tonnes unit therefore I am also looking for a 2 tonnes AC unit as well.

Can you guy give me advise as to which brand and installer to choose

Appreciate the help in advance
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
Brand is not that important it comes down more to the installer and if they install it properly. That being said i would be looking for a brand that has the best factory warranty & even look into buying extra warranty from the manufacturer (Not the HVAC Company as they could go out of business)

Not that it makes a big difference but what type and brand furnace do you currently have? Sometimes it may be nice to get the same brand so they can use the same type of technology and work together like Goodman/Amana has if thats something you are interested in.
tealvr wrote: Hi Everyone,
Need advice as I am a first time home owner.
I need an AC unit with installation in ottawa, my house is 2030 sqft without basement and 2664 with finished basement . It is a brand new home and the rough in is already there for the AC unit.

The builder is normally putting a 2 tonnes unit therefore I am also looking for a 2 tonnes AC unit as well.

Can you guy give me advise as to which brand and installer to choose

Appreciate the help in advance
Oct 9, 2012
217 posts
111 upvotes
SK
Looking for options on an AC system for my house. It’s heated with radiant in floor heat from a natural gas boiler, so no ducting.

From what I’ve found online it’s seems a ductless mini split or just portable AC seems to be my only option? I’m not really fond of the large wall mounted unit that go with the mini splits and it’s only a single room fix. Installing new ducting in the attic space wouldn’t be an issue.
Jan 19, 2013
708 posts
626 upvotes
Ottawa
Matth10 wrote: Looking for options on an AC system for my house. It’s heated with radiant in floor heat from a natural gas boiler, so no ducting.

From what I’ve found online it’s seems a ductless mini split or just portable AC seems to be my only option? I’m not really fond of the large wall mounted unit that go with the mini splits and it’s only a single room fix. Installing new ducting in the attic space wouldn’t be an issue.
Ductless also comes in ceiling recessed/cassette or concealed with ducting
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
3149 posts
1952 upvotes
GTA
1chinaman wrote: Ductless also comes in ceiling recessed/cassette or concealed with ducting
Maybe cheaper to still do a ducted AC air handler in the attic , those ductless split installs aint cheap. I'd get pricing for both regardless.
Nov 29, 2015
480 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hi there. So i recently moved into a home and noticed that in our basement there seems to be no heating but there are vents on the ceiling. How can i check to see if this is working properly?
IMG_20200417_232932.jpg
IMG_20200417_232920.jpg
Thank you.
Jun 1, 2016
14 posts
1 upvote
sickcars wrote: Brand is not that important it comes down more to the installer and if they install it properly. That being said i would be looking for a brand that has the best factory warranty & even look into buying extra warranty from the manufacturer (Not the HVAC Company as they could go out of business)

Not that it makes a big difference but what type and brand furnace do you currently have? Sometimes it may be nice to get the same brand so they can use the same type of technology and work together like Goodman/Amana has if thats something you are interested in.
Thanks for the valuable info, my furnace is lennox. However lennox ac units are a little on the higher side. Goodman is the cheapest in Ottawa I think
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4517 posts
3449 upvotes
Vaughan
As @sickcars have mentioned do not get fixated on brand or SEER rating. AC actually operated less than 45-60 days during whole season. Lennox is a premium brand but if the price difference in comparison to Goodman is substantial, than go for Goodman. Just be careful in choosing your installer as Goodman is available to anyone unlike Lennox.
tealvr wrote: Thanks for the valuable info, my furnace is lennox. However lennox ac units are a little on the higher side. Goodman is the cheapest in Ottawa I think
Certified HVAC Pro. Committed to Customer, not brand. Past RFD Review
2024 AC, Furnace, Heat Pump and Water Heater Groupbuy
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2017
1117 posts
279 upvotes
Can anyone help me with an issue I have. I have replaced my flame sensor a few times thinking it was the issue but is not. My gas valve a few times during the winter season struggles to light the flame and thus stops trying after a few tries and my house obviously wont heat up. We have measure the gas psi and everything seems good. Is this a typical problem? It’s only 2 seasons old. It’s also a Goodman. It gives us 7 flashing lights as the code. Do I have a lemon of a gas valve?
Also after a couple of hours the furnace starts to miraculously work again even if no one does anything.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
iceman2015 wrote: Hi there. So i recently moved into a home and noticed that in our basement there seems to be no heating but there are vents on the ceiling. How can i check to see if this is working properly?

Thank you.
Turn your thermostat up and when the heat and fan kicks in see if there is hot air coming out of the vents or air sucking into the vents.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
Mylocosta wrote: Can anyone help me with an issue I have. I have replaced my flame sensor a few times thinking it was the issue but is not. My gas valve a few times during the winter season struggles to light the flame and thus stops trying after a few tries and my house obviously wont heat up. We have measure the gas psi and everything seems good. Is this a typical problem? It’s only 2 seasons old. It’s also a Goodman. It gives us 7 flashing lights as the code. Do I have a lemon of a gas valve?
Also after a couple of hours the furnace starts to miraculously work again even if no one does anything.
If this is the code for 7 flashing lights:

Seven LED flashes This warns of a low flame sense microamp signal. This is the result of a coated flame sensor or a lazy flame due to poor gas pressure.

and you've changed your gas valve/flame sensor you may just have a dirty burner where the flame sensor is located or not a good conductor area (dirty) between the sensor and the burner. Also measure the microamp signal.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2017
1117 posts
279 upvotes
pootza wrote: If this is the code for 7 flashing lights:

Seven LED flashes This warns of a low flame sense microamp signal. This is the result of a coated flame sensor or a lazy flame due to poor gas pressure.

and you've changed your gas valve/flame sensor you may just have a dirty burner where the flame sensor is located or not a good conductor area (dirty) between the sensor and the burner. Also measure the microamp signal.
How much would it be for someone to come and “clean up” or fix this issue if indeed it is this?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
Mylocosta wrote: How much would it be for someone to come and “clean up” or fix this issue if indeed it is this?
Depending where you are and if you get a competent HVAC tech it should be less than an hour so I imagine $120 if that's the going rate in your area.

If you're handy and have the proper meter there's lots of youtube videos to do it yourself.

Nov 29, 2015
480 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto, ON
pootza wrote: Turn your thermostat up and when the heat and fan kicks in see if there is hot air coming out of the vents or air sucking into the vents.
Hi pootza. One of the vents is blowing some hot air out but not as strong. The other vent is kind of a bit cooler so not sure. Is this something that I can adjust myself?