Home & Garden

Ask me anything about HVAC heating air conditioning air quality control

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 9th, 2019 11:17 pm
Oct 30, 2007
13 posts
1 upvote
Montreal
I understand that part but my HVAC company told me that the cutoff switch which sends the signal when the temps dip is never included in the package and I have to turn on the emergency heat (electric furnace) on manually and shut down the heat pump.
I have 3 settings on my thermostat
heat (heat pump)
Aux heat (according to them does nothing)
Emergency heat (furnace)

Its the outdoor cut-off sensor that they never installed and they say that it's never included
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2009
1827 posts
316 upvotes
Ottawa
paulmav wrote:
Dec 17th, 2009 3:49 pm
I understand that part but my HVAC company told me that the cutoff switch which sends the signal when the temps dip is never included in the package and I have to turn on the emergency heat (electric furnace) on manually and shut down the heat pump.
I have 3 settings on my thermostat
heat (heat pump)
Aux heat (according to them does nothing)
Emergency heat (furnace)

Its the outdoor cut-off sensor that they never installed and they say that it's never included
Like I said above: change contract0ors - they sold you less than a full system. I would scream bloody murder and see what they do. I have NEVER heard of such nonsense. It has to be automatic - what are you supposed to do? Set an alarm to wake you up every hour to check what the outdoor temperature is? Call the better business bureau, do whatever it takes. I can garantee you that Trane doesn't approve of this setup. As an ex American Standard dealer myself (they make Trane equipment), I know that this is not correct, and they screwed up the installation.
If you like my post, please upvote! :)
Putting people and solutions together since 1995
Need quick advice? Email me at RFDfanOttawa@gmail.com
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2009
1827 posts
316 upvotes
Ottawa
Limoges_shopper wrote:
Dec 17th, 2009 4:59 pm
Like I said above: change contract0ors - they sold you less than a full system. I would scream bloody murder and see what they do. I have NEVER heard of such nonsense. It has to be automatic - what are you supposed to do? Set an alarm to wake you up every hour to check what the outdoor temperature is? Call the better business bureau, do whatever it takes. I can garantee you that Trane doesn't approve of this setup. As an ex American Standard dealer myself (they make Trane equipment), I know that this is not correct, and they screwed up the installation.
Addendum:

Auxiliary heat is the electrical elements. They are supposed to come on at the beginning of what I incorrectly call the dual heating zone: when both the heat pump and the elements are on at the same time. Then when the C.O.P. gets close to 1, the outdoor unit shuts off, and teh auxiliary heating stays on.

The "emergency heat" part is for when the heat pump is defective (hence the word "emergency" - sheesh! what a crappy contractor and a rip-off artist!) and the outdoor temperature is not cold enough, or the controls aren't working.

Call Trane Canada (3535, boulevard Pitfield, Saint-Laurent, QC H4S 1H3
(514) 337-3321 ) - and ask to speak to customer support - tell them your contractor hasn't installed the equipment properly, and you need to speak with a technical representative. Don't give the name of the dealer, just get the truth from them: give the model numbers of the equipment and ask them if it should automatically change over. If they say "yes", then ask them how one of their "authorized and manufacturer-trained (all Trane dealers have to go to yearly training seminars). Maybe then you should let them know the contractor's name, and get the equipment working properly.

Bottom line: the equipment was designed to automatically change over - that's how it's designed to save you money.
If you like my post, please upvote! :)
Putting people and solutions together since 1995
Need quick advice? Email me at RFDfanOttawa@gmail.com
Oct 30, 2007
13 posts
1 upvote
Montreal
thank you for your response!

to make matters worse the emergency heat is blowing cold air and running non stop!
Dec 10, 2009
11 posts
Ontario
nighthawk26 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2009 4:31 pm
Really? You like the White Rodgers? I'm not too sure about you anymore! :)

Sidenote to the retail/HVAC stats. I have a Comfortsense 5000 which looks a lot like one I've seen in a retail store, but when I looked at the details of it, you couldn't control even a fraction of the same stuff in the setup menues. Consumers 99% of the time look at it as a 7 day, 4 mode setup, screen looks the same and assume it's the same. NOT always the case. There are a lot of sub menus in these stats that can control a great deal of options.
How would the Honeywell Focus pro 5000 compare to the Lennox Comfortsense 5000? Would the feature set be the same? Would you be able to control as many options as well? I am having the Lennox g71 installed with the honeywell thermostat.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2006
1867 posts
148 upvotes
LAD wrote:
Dec 18th, 2009 12:49 pm
How would the Honeywell Focus pro 5000 compare to the Lennox Comfortsense 5000? Would the feature set be the same? Would you be able to control as many options as well? I am having the Lennox g71 installed with the honeywell thermostat.
This must be Lou.

As mentioned I have the 5000 myself. It has a few cool features like it runs on 24v constant so it's always lit and won't loose setting s with a power failure, as well as it's a larger touch screen so easier to setup and navigate, and it lets you set 4 setpoint schedules however you like. So if you want heat on in the morning for example you can set it so it will ARRIVE at that temp by 8am rather than just come on and start heating at 8am. Nothing that affects function of the furnace of coruse. All you need to ensure for that is that it's a 2 stage stat which it is.

I'm sure talking to your actual salesrep (Jason) would prove helpful. He will tell you though you'll pay $250 more for a CS5000 and you will have to make sure you have a 6 wire line from the stat to the furnace.

Lennox gave me the stat. If I was paying for it myself I likely wouldn't pay for the upgrade. Certainly don't want to push you in any way.
Dec 10, 2009
11 posts
Ontario
Ok thanks. I've read that it does a good job of dehumidification that other stats don't as well. Just wanted to compare features of each (Apples to Apples) to determine if the added expense would be worth it. Since honeywell makes this is there a honeywell comparable as well? Anyway thanks for the info.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2006
1867 posts
148 upvotes
LAD wrote:
Dec 19th, 2009 11:45 am
Ok thanks. I've read that it does a good job of dehumidification that other stats don't as well. Just wanted to compare features of each (Apples to Apples) to determine if the added expense would be worth it. Since honeywell makes this is there a honeywell comparable as well? Anyway thanks for the info.
It has nothing to do with that at all. As I said. As long as the stat is a 2 stage, the furnace is what is controlling the rest. To ge tthe best dehumidification you would need to look at the Lennox Humiditrol, and also consider a 2 stage AC unit. Those are completely different issues.
Dec 10, 2009
11 posts
Ontario
Thanks nighthawk26. I was also wondering If you or anybody else has had experience with the Honeywell Vision Pro 8000? Just wondering if this is basically the same stat as the Lennox 5000. I've noticed these are selling fairly cheap in Ebay Brand New In the Box. From the specs it looks like it would be suitable for a the G71. Can anyone help or have an opinion?
Oct 30, 2005
312 posts
13 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Hi all,

I'm having a major humidity problem in my house; relative humidity is between 25-28% (not good for my 9 month old daughter or my woodwork), so I need to increase it.

I have a Lennox G61MPV furnace, a General Aire 1042 humidifer, and a Lennox ComfortSense 7000 thermostat. The solenoid on the humidifier is wired to a transformer which is connected to the HUM terminals on the furnace board. My problem is that the solenoid only seems to be pumping water through the humidifier when the furnace is heating; if I put the fan on independently (it's a DC motor and operates at 35% when circulating) the humidifier doesn't kick on.

Is there any way I can tell the thermostat to tell the furnace to put the humidifier on when the blower is on, rather than the heating stage only? Or to change the furnace board so that it provides power to those terminals when the blower is on?

I really need to get this solved!
Jul 22, 2006
72 posts
Need some pros to shed some light on this.

So I am going from Oil to Gas Furance, and hoping to get a 95%+ model. I am getting enbridge to install the meter.

How much more should it really cost than a straight gas to gas replacement. There is no gas meter, therefore no gas pipe to the house now.
Oct 30, 2005
312 posts
13 upvotes
Victoria, BC
canuck88 wrote:
Dec 19th, 2009 11:22 pm
Hi all,

I'm having a major humidity problem in my house; relative humidity is between 25-28% (not good for my 9 month old daughter or my woodwork), so I need to increase it.

I have a Lennox G61MPV furnace, a General Aire 1042 humidifer, and a Lennox ComfortSense 7000 thermostat. The solenoid on the humidifier is wired to a transformer which is connected to the HUM terminals on the furnace board. My problem is that the solenoid only seems to be pumping water through the humidifier when the furnace is heating; if I put the fan on independently (it's a DC motor and operates at 35% when circulating) the humidifier doesn't kick on.

Is there any way I can tell the thermostat to tell the furnace to put the humidifier on when the blower is on, rather than the heating stage only? Or to change the furnace board so that it provides power to those terminals when the blower is on?

I really need to get this solved!
Solved my own problem; moved the leads to the EAC outs on the board, now the water flows whenever the fan runs. Just have to re-locate the water to the hot water tank now...
Dec 19, 2009
3 posts
Hi, I'm new to the forum and had a question. I have a Keeprite high efficiency single stage furnace that was installed in fall of last year. I've noticed that there has been a whiney, sort of buzzing noise coming from the combustion blower as of late. The noise would come and go at first but now is constant. Help?!
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2006
1867 posts
148 upvotes
johnnyboy_kim wrote:
Dec 20th, 2009 7:55 am
Hi, I'm new to the forum and had a question. I have a Keeprite high efficiency single stage furnace that was installed in fall of last year. I've noticed that there has been a whiney, sort of buzzing noise coming from the combustion blower as of late. The noise would come and go at first but now is constant. Help?!
Bearings going? Not a tech, but it is a keeprite. If your installer/dealer is still around, call them as you should be under warranty still. At least parts. Keeprite like others requires annual maintenance so they may want to see documentation on that.
Dec 10, 2009
11 posts
Ontario
bririp wrote:
Jan 30th, 2008 4:54 pm
Hello all,

I am a new member but long time lurker of this forum and i just thought I could be of some help opening a thread where people can ask me anything about the heating (HVAC) industry. Feel free to ask away.

I am a licenced contractor, from your area who does everything from furnace cleaning, to gas piping, to HRV, electronic air cleaners and so on.

I do free in home estimates on all of my services.

Feel free to ask anything about this industry and I will do my best to answer all of them.

Thanks for looking
Brian
Brooklin heating and air
Hello Brian, I have a question regarding a possible thermostat I'm interested in. I was wondering If you or anybody else has had experience with the Honeywell Vision Pro 8000? Just wondering if this is basically the same stat as the Lennox 5000? From the specs it looks like it would be suitable for the Lennox G71 furnace I am having installed, and going to the Lennox 5000 is not an option because of it's high price at $250. The one being included with the install is the Honeywell vp 6000. Just wondered if you or anyone could help or have an opinion?

Thanks