• Sep 19th, 2017 5:58 pm
Tags:
Mar 15, 2007
406 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
nighthawk26 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2017 12:43 am
Not very flexible at all. And if it is R22 Freon, I would strongly suggest you do not attempt it yourself. Could prove very very costly. Likely not enough liner slack and if not, you would basically need it RE/RE.
Are there any options for a flexible line between the AC unit and the exterior wall?

Every unit in our townhome complex has the AC unit sitting on top of this wood deck on the rear patio. When the membranes underneath the wood deck start to go and need to be repaired it sounds like it would be costly to have to cut the copper hard lines every time so that the AC units can be moved.
Jan 24, 2008
184 posts
17 upvotes
Scarborough
I have an Amana AC and last evening we realized that is not working. Is only 8 years old. I opened the box in the back of AC and one of the power wires was out of the socket(the one that comes from wall breaker. It seems that the connection and the screw that holds the wire in place oxidized and the wire came of. Now the screw doesn't screw back in and I am wondering how can I make a permanent connection there?
Nov 27, 2013
19 posts
5 upvotes
Markham
Hopefully this can be answered as Google isn't giving me much results.

Is there any benefit to adding a "hot air return" if that's the name, to a 2 story home? My family lives in a 2 story that has 2 return grills in the top floor hallway one near the floor and directly above one near the ceiling. My father closes the bottom one and opens the top during summer months and reverses the order during winter months.

Is there any flaws to having a system like this? I am curious as I find my top floor to be quite warm and have considered making this modification.
Sep 1, 2012
93 posts
9 upvotes
Ottawa/Gatineau
What should be the air temperature coming out of the vents?

The inside temperature was 26 C annd the temperature coming out of the vents was 16-17 C. Is that correct? I find it takes quite some time to cool the house.. It took like 1:30-2 hours to drop from 26.5 C to 25.5 C.

The AC is a Goodman 2.0 ton in a 1700 sqft house.
Nov 27, 2013
19 posts
5 upvotes
Markham
stefxx wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 2:12 pm

The inside temperature was 26 C annd the temperature coming out of the vents was 16-17 C. Is that correct? I find it takes quite some time to cool the house.. It took like 1:30-2 hours to drop from 26.5 C to 25.5 C.

If it's any help it's the same for my home and we had a new furnace put in last year and a new AC compressor and condenser put in back in March. Depending on the outside temp (last 2 days were 31 Celsius) will affect how cold the air being pumped into the house is. I set my thermostat to 25.5 Celsius and the air being pushed out the registers was 18 Celsius. I think as long as your furnace doesn't go over 4 cycles (1 cycle equals 1 on 1 off session so 4 cycles will be around 10 minutes on 10 minutes off) it should be working fine. The first day you turn your AC on in hot weather it will take a while to bring the home temperature down, after the first day it should run more efficient.
Nov 29, 2016
27 posts
1 upvote
Question regarding Whole house dehumidifiers.

How to decide what model to go with? HONEYWELL TrueDRY DR65/DR90/DR120?
What is a fair price for DR90 let's say?

Any info on dealers? Would prefer to work with somebody locally, than buy on web.

thanks!
Dec 28, 2010
862 posts
50 upvotes
Ajax
pootza wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 11:31 am
In the 'auto' mode the fan runs on a call for heat or cool and at the speed set for either. In the 'on' mode the fan will run continuous at the fan speed set for the cool mode (usually high).
Some people use the 'on' mode to circulate the air about the house. Some also use a continuous low speed and when the call for heat/cool the fan bumps up to the speed for them.
'Better' is just what you find more comfortable for you.
Awesome thanks. Is "on" mode better at equalizing temps throughout the house? I'm fixing my upper floors are warmer and lower areas colder. I suppose that's common but would like I equalize that.
And how does one adjust the fan speed? Does on or auto have a cost savings in terms of power usage over another?
Dec 28, 2010
862 posts
50 upvotes
Ajax
nater51 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 3:20 pm
If it's any help it's the same for my home and we had a new furnace put in last year and a new AC compressor and condenser put in back in March. Depending on the outside temp (last 2 days were 31 Celsius) will affect how cold the air being pumped into the house is. I set my thermostat to 25.5 Celsius and the air being pushed out the registers was 18 Celsius. I think as long as your furnace doesn't go over 4 cycles (1 cycle equals 1 on 1 off session so 4 cycles will be around 10 minutes on 10 minutes off) it should be working fine. The first day you turn your AC on in hot weather it will take a while to bring the home temperature down, after the first day it should run more efficient.
Do you mind explaining that a bit more? What does it mean if it goes over 4 cycles? Is your ac suppose to cool the house within 4 cycles?

Thanks.
Nov 28, 2013
953 posts
262 upvotes
Kinda of a stupid question .. maybe.

So my furnace takes a 4 inch filter...

I had some issues today and a repair person came by etc and all is good.

Though he told me during the summer I should put a 1 or 2 inch filter in the furnace so there is better airlow from the central air unit and during the winter revert back to the 4inch

Any truth to this?
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
2350 posts
823 upvotes
Bellotts wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 4:59 pm
Awesome thanks. Is "on" mode better at equalizing temps throughout the house? I'm fixing my upper floors are warmer and lower areas colder. I suppose that's common but would like I equalize that.
And how does one adjust the fan speed? Does on or auto have a cost savings in terms of power usage over another?
Depends on your ductwork ... if you don't have proper supply/return air ducting upstairs (most houses don't) all you'll be doing is circulating the air on the main floor/basement area but it will help moving some air upstairs.
Adjusting fans speeds depends on your furnace ... could have a terminal board or speed taps right on the motor and the higher the speed the more energy usage.
I remove the blower door on my furnace some times, tape the door switch and let it run continuous which pushes the cold air from the basement up and the hotter air upstairs just comes down the stairwells.
Jun 1, 2008
979 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
Are there ductless air conditioners which can accommodate 3 "heads"? If so, can they be of varying strengths? Any suggestions regarding a knowledgeable installer?
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4377 posts
90 upvotes
GTA
Hi folks,
I have a York YM8M060 furnace (8 years old) for a 1,200 sq ft 2 story house.
Looking to replace a 20 year old air conditioner.
Which one is the better choice to match the York Furnace?

York model YCE
or Carrier 24ABC6

Also wondering if a 1.5 or 2 ton unit a better choice?
the old conditioner is a 2 ton but the blower is so weak it takes a whole day to cool down the house at times.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
1451 posts
261 upvotes
Ontario
stefxx wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 2:12 pm

It depends which vents you are measuring. Find the vent which is closest to the furnace and check temperature there. The further you go from furnace higher the temperature will be, and it's the opposite in heating season.
Nov 27, 2013
19 posts
5 upvotes
Markham
Bellotts wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 5:15 pm
Do you mind explaining that a bit more? What does it mean if it goes over 4 cycles? Is your ac suppose to cool the house within 4 cycles?

Thanks.
Sorry I typed that all wrong. A high efficiency furnace is supposed to be around I think 5 or 6 cycles (10 minutes on 10 minutes off) The idea is to bring the house to an even temp using the least amount of power. If your furnace runs 2 cycles in an hour (30 minutes on 30 minutes off) it might mean the furnace is having trouble cooling or heating as effectively as before (if it's high efficiency). I got the numbers wrong and the direction, ideally you don't want the furnace running non-stop for a long period if you can avoid it. But in your case if it was a really hot day and it was the first time being used then less cycles is to be expected (furnace runs longer to cool down the house). You should be concerned if it's 25 Celsius outside and your furnace runs for 60 minutes straight to get to lets say 23 or 24 Celsius inside your house.

But the temperature readings you were getting out of the vent sound normal.

Sorry for the confusion of my last post.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
1451 posts
261 upvotes
Ontario
nater51 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 3:20 pm
The AC doesn't pump any air in the house. The outside temperature should only affect how long the unit runs to cool the house and not how cold the air is at the vent.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

StarGehzer