Tags:
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2006
1866 posts
138 upvotes
gtadoors wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 10:54 pm
Hi

So I have a generalaire humidifier. (1042) Now when I turn it on its fine. However as soon as i set the setting to 50 or above there's a constant hissing noise that starts. Doesn't look like a leak the hissing noise seems to be coming from inside the unit. Is this normal or should I get it checked out by a professional.
Normal. It's the solonoid valve flowing water.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2006
1866 posts
138 upvotes
cigar7 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 11:24 pm
I am interested in replacing a 18 year old furnace and AC in London Ontario townhouse, and get all of the available rebates. Done lots of research and I am leaning towards a Goodman GMVM97100SCNA with a AC of GSX16037 and a CTK04, and an april aire full house humidifier ( 12 gal./day).

Who in London could give me a great price and install it properly?

Do I need to also ask for any of the following: anti-short kit, hard start kit, freeze protection kit, liquid line solenoid kit, low ambient kit, low pressure switch kit, or a TVX?

Any opinion about the continental furnaces and AC's?
Confused. DId you just go from being very specific in knowing exactly what you wanted, and then end it with asking a very generic question about basically a brand new furnace manufacturer pretty much? It's Napoleon. They make nice Fireplaces. What did lots of research tell you about them?
Feb 28, 2017
6 posts
Hello HVAC experts, we have been noticing a small regular noise in our house since about 2 weeks. We bought the house and moved in late Apr, I think the noise comes from the ductwork or the attic, but not 100% sure.

It's a bit weird since all the Google search results are about noises in winter when the furnace is running, we've turned off the heating and AC already, but the sound goes on. It's a small popping/tapping/knocking sound, every 30s or 1 mins, easier to hear in the evening when things are quiet. It doesn't wake me up but pretty annoying having that kind of noise in your house and doesn't know the reason.

Any idea about why this noise happens in summer time? Should I call a HVAC expert or a duct cleaning service to look into it? We are going to redo the roof so the roofer can check the ventilator on the roof I guess.

Thanks
Jan 26, 2010
5 posts
Ottawa
We are in a home built 10 years ago with high efficiency furnance. The size is 2536 square feet (not including unfinished basement), 9 feet ceiling downstairs with 8 feet on 2nd floor. We have winding curve staircase in middle of house and we find it is much hotter on 2nd floor. We have big windows and are south facing. The AC we installed 9 years ago was a 3 tonne lennox - but had issues with leaks and AC not working so money spent fixing it is starting to add up, we are planning on installing a new AC. Should we be getting the 2.5 tonne or 3 tonne? We are reading different website and for this size of home, it is not clear. One contractor sent email quote saying 2.5 tonne is what we need.

Any help you can provide is appreciated. Thanks.
Dec 11, 2008
9 posts
5 upvotes
toronto
Is there a way to increase the fan speed while the A/C is on?
I find that the air coming from the vents to be quite a bit less than when the heat is on.
I have an ECOBEE 3 thermostat but cannot find a way to alter the speed of the fan.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4465 posts
498 upvotes
SK
utrkos wrote:
Jun 20th, 2017 8:58 pm
I find that the air coming from the vents to be quite a bit less than when the heat is on.
I have an ECOBEE 3 thermostat but cannot find a way to alter the speed of the fan.
I just installed the Ecobee3 Lite and it looks like A/C is only stage 1 but heat has stage 1 and 2 (W1 & W2 wire) at least in the Test menu under Advance Settings.
Jul 3, 2011
138 posts
15 upvotes
Medicine Hat
So, i just unhooked the relay for my HVAC (thinking i already took before pic but didnt) now I'm not sure where to connect wires. I unhooked blue,red,green . Pretty sure blue is in correct spot, not sure on red/green can anyone tell me if this is correct
Images
  • upload.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Jul 19, 2003
7374 posts
336 upvotes
410a Refrigerant went low on its own. Suspected decent sized leak, but difficult to spot.

options:
a) Just add more refrigerant and hope for the best
OR
b) Inspect for leak AND THEN replace broken parts (still expensive) AND add more refrigerant.
OR
c) Buy new one.

Its a garbage builder's lennox and the quality is low. Option B) is still really expensive. Its probably no older than 5-10 years. 10 max.

Should I continue investigating and repair it, or consider a full replacement and dodge the ongoing repairs?
hi!
Sep 11, 2015
77 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
Hello hvac experts. I don't think I need an air purifier; I have no breathing problems, no allergies, no pets, and don't smoke. But I do want one regardless. Never had one growing up, now that I have my own small condo figured what the hell. Narrowed it down to these three, which would you recommend, or if none of these three please let me know.

My condo is has an open layout, kitchen, dining room and sitting room all one room, which is where I want the purifier to be positioned. I think that room is about 550-625 sq feet, with one wall being all glass facing south. Max budget$300-$350

1. http://www.honeywellstore.com/store/pro ... emover.htm
  2. https://www.rabbitair.com/products/biogs2-air-purifier
  3. https://www.costco.ca/Heaven-Fresh-Natu ... 11511.html
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2002
2786 posts
55 upvotes
Oakville
Looking for advice on which furnace to chose (all 100k BTU):

Lennox EL296V 96% 2-stage 10 years parts $5,200
Coleman 96% 2-stage ecm motor 10 years parts and 10 years labour warranty $4,415
Coleman 97.5-98% modulating 10 years parts and 10 years labour warranty $4,695
Armstrong 96.7 % efficient 2 stage 10 years parts and 5 years labour warranty $4,630
American Standard Gold 95v 10 years parts and 5 years labour warranty $4,510

I'm looking for something quiet. I don't like the fact that Lennox requires professional yearly maintenance for the warranty to apply.
Leaning towards the Coleman modulating at this point.
Any advice welcome.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
2350 posts
823 upvotes
cil254 wrote:
Jun 25th, 2017 1:11 pm

Coleman 96% 2-stage ecm motor 10 years parts and 10 years labour warranty $4,415
Armstrong 96.7 % efficient 2 stage 10 years parts and 5 years labour warranty $4,630

I'm looking for something quiet. I don't like the fact that Lennox requires professional yearly maintenance for the warranty to apply.
Any advice welcome.
If you look at the warranties from all the furnaces they will probably state that you require professional yearly maintenance.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13185 posts
3207 upvotes
cil254 wrote:
Jun 25th, 2017 1:11 pm

Any advice welcome.
I think 100K is huge, is your house very drafty and uninsulated?
I shudder to think what your heating bills are Confused Face
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2387 posts
387 upvotes
utrkos wrote:
Jun 20th, 2017 8:58 pm
Have 2 stage furnace and old 1 stage AC.

Using econet tstat we can choose 6 different fan speeds [off, low, low med, med, med high, high] that only operates at set speed when no call for heat or AC [can also set drain time like 10 mins for AC and extra regular fan like 150 seconds for furnace]. Plus can change fan speed when AC or furnace on to either regular, low or high.

If no options on tstat then check manual for furnace as there might be some dipswitches you can adjust for fan speed. Kind of like tstat settings for temp offset.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2006
1866 posts
138 upvotes
pootza wrote:
Jun 25th, 2017 4:43 pm
If you look at the warranties from all the furnaces they will probably state that you require professional yearly maintenance.
Assuming the Coleman is same as York warranty... which it should be. This is not the case. Lennox is like this, and as Armstrong is the lower tier from them, I assume it is also the same. I have the York version of that coleman modulating, and also sell lots of them. Love it.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
2350 posts
823 upvotes
nighthawk26 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2017 10:12 pm
Assuming the Coleman is same as York warranty... which it should be. This is not the case. Lennox is like this, and as Armstrong is the lower tier from them, I assume it is also the same. I have the York version of that coleman modulating, and also sell lots of them. Love it.
Why did you fail to mention that American Standard has the same provision in their warranty that Lennox does?
Maybe you could post a link to your wonderful York furnace warranty to prove your point! People say the fine print in the Coleman warranties seem to change from model to model, year to year.

http://www.jccoppercoilsettlement.com/

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

StarGehzer