• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2017 3:09 pm
Tags:
Dec 25, 2015
363 posts
38 upvotes
masterhapposai wrote:
Jun 29th, 2017 2:40 pm
All the arguments aside, who's the best installer and seller in the GTA?
looking my self,
found a couple who received decent reviews, most were commercial and not residential
Dec 25, 2015
363 posts
38 upvotes
redkulat wrote:
Jun 29th, 2017 11:37 am
Hi guys,

I recently installed the Ecobee3 Lite and had everything setup the way it was instructed. Everything worked perfectly, it was working for the first 3 days I installed it. The A/C and fan were turning on correctly and it was all good.

However yesterday I turned on my HRV unit as I didn't test that to see if everything was working correctly. It was not…the HRV turned on, but the fan on the furnace did not. I checked, and my Ecobee was off. I took a look online and someone said to check if the furnace board fuse blew…and it did. There was a big black mark in the middle of the 3 amp fuse.

When I was first wiring the PEK from the Ecobee3, I did notice there was only one "G" wire to control the furnace fan which I found very odd.

The original HVAC company (Applewood) seems to have connected the fan wire running from the thermostat with the fan wire running from the HRV together and jumped it with another wire straight to the control board.

I called Ecobee support before installing and they said there should be no issues.

Well clearly something happened, because the fuse blew on the board. There are two things I think that may have caused the fuse the blow.

1) The HRV and PEK are both connected to the "R" terminal on the furnace control board. When I opened up to take a look, I noticed the HRV wire (in the "R" terminal) was a bit loose (seems like I didn't tighten it enough) so could that have short the fuse?

2) The inter-connected G wire isn't meant to be put into the PEK perhaps. I called Ecobee support again and they said the thermostat should only be connected to the PEK. I can then connect the PEK G wire and the HRV G wire separately into the G terminal. I don't know why there are wires interconnected with the thermostat. Is this normal? I am still not even sure if the two wires connected together with the thermostat and HRV are truly the "G" wire. All I know is they are connected and there was only one G wire prior to installing the Ecobee.

Here is a diagram I tried to put together to make sense:

Side note: Is it okay to have 3 wires connected to the Comm/24V terminal? Currently I have the Ecobee3 PEK C-wire, my humidifier, and A/C. The PEK C-wire and humidifier are really close to each other in the terminal. This didn't cause the shortage as my humidifier is off and the Ecobee3 was working fine before, but just wanted to check for the winter.

I had an issue as well,. Only having 4 wires from the thermostat. the c wire to power the unit was my issue. connected it in january for heating only, now only for A/C but my unit is defective- so for now we ran a jumper to have ac/fan run at the same time.
My easiest solution is to pay someone to run the C-wire down from the thermostat to the HVAC- as this will not require the PEK extender.

install becomes more difficult when dealing with households not wired with the C-wire.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
1841 posts
632 upvotes
Toronto
azmazm wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 12:41 pm
I had an issue as well,. Only having 4 wires from the thermostat. the c wire to power the unit was my issue. connected it in january for heating only, now only for A/C but my unit is defective- so for now we ran a jumper to have ac/fan run at the same time.
My easiest solution is to pay someone to run the C-wire down from the thermostat to the HVAC- as this will not require the PEK extender.

install becomes more difficult when dealing with households not wired with the C-wire.
I actually solved the issue I was having. Do you have an HRV unit?

I was able to run everything successfully with the PEK.
Dec 25, 2015
363 posts
38 upvotes
redkulat wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 1:13 pm
I actually solved the issue I was having. Do you have an HRV unit?

I was able to run everything successfully with the PEK.
do not have HRV unit,.
mine is just running the c-wire directly, has m rC had a splice(2 diff colored wiring) so ecobee support says running the wire directly is most safe.
just now searching for someone reasonably priced to come do it.