[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1074 posts
113 upvotes
Markham
lyle26 wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 7:41 am
Hi there! We bought a house last fall with Central air, but I'm having issues with the ac. I have an old ac unit that keeps tripping the breaker. I had a guy come to look, but he couldn't even access the unit to look at it (they built a new deck that butted right up to the access panel!)
He suggested from looking at it, that our best bet might be just to get a new unit.
My question is, I found this Kijiji ad: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-hvac-service/gu ... 1283925166 . Are these Kijiji deals reputable? Should I pull the trigger? My house is about 1500 sq ft( including basement)
Thanks!
If there is a deck around the unit you most likely are not getting the proper airflow which in itself could be causing your issue, or premature failure. To replace the unit you will need to make room for access to disconnect the old unit anyways. I would suggest opening up the deck, and having a technician do a proper diagnostic.

Having said that, if the unit is past it's life expectancy (20+ years old) and the symptoms are that of a major repair, it may be that the technician is making an educated guess...not the best idea!

Post a picture of the A/C and I can comment further to help!
Providing Customers with the highest quality Home Comfort Products, and service! http://www.homestars.com/companies/2781 ... ly-med-air
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1074 posts
113 upvotes
Markham
Szharkov wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 11:32 am
Where does one buy mastic sealer? Can't find it any of the box stores, amazon etc...
you can buy it online https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... ct+sealant

Local HVAC wholesalers usually don't sell to home owners. PM me and we can help you out.
Providing Customers with the highest quality Home Comfort Products, and service! http://www.homestars.com/companies/2781 ... ly-med-air
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1074 posts
113 upvotes
Markham
mau_mau wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 8:53 pm
Hello There.

I have a mid efficiency furnace (Lennox Elite Series 75K BTU; approx 20 years old). Currently its vented through the roof and the vents runs right up through one of my kitchen walls. I'm looking to do a kitchen reno which involves removing the wall in question and am wondering if this type of furnace can be vented through the adjacent wall in the basement. I've attached a picture for reference

Hello There,

Mid efficiency furnaces cannot be vented through the side wall, only up through chimney.

At the age that it is, consider upgrading the a new High Efficiency furnace. There are rebates available and you will save the space for the old chimney!

White box = vent to furnace
Red Box = vent to water heater
Blue Arrow = vent up through the kitchen through the roof

looking to re-vent both water heater and furnace through the wall (left side of window)

Can this be done? Do mid efficiency furnaces allow for venting to go through the wall? If so, any rough ball park idea on costs to do this?

Thanks for your time RFD!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1074 posts
113 upvotes
Markham
pootza wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 10:27 pm
They do make separate power ventors for mid-efficient equipment but for a 20 year old furnace it probably wouldn't be worth it.

http://www.tjernlund.com/gassidewall.htm
The side wall vent kits are unit specific. They have to be approved by the manufacturer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1074 posts
113 upvotes
Markham
mathewvc wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 5:55 pm
Looking for an extra filtration add on, ie.) HEPA. Suffer from bad allergies and looking for something that will help improve the quality of air inside. Recommended brands/products- looking for whole house system.
Hello Mathew,

Take a look at the Lennox Healthy Climate Hepa system. They come in different sizes to accommodate larger and smaller homes. This paired with a Lennox PureAir filtration system offer the ultimate filtration for your home.
Oct 9, 2011
230 posts
55 upvotes
Hi

My 15 yr old builder installed Carrier furnace fan motor died and I had it replaced this week. A few months ago, I had the fan capacitor replaced. The service tech said I may get at most another year or two out of the furnace as it is known to have a manufacturer defect with the heat exchanger.

I've been looking at several 2 stage/variable speed fan units, but the tech said not to waste my money on them as they are expensive to repair out of warranty if something goes wrong. He suggested I go with a high efficiency (95% efficient) single stage, AC fan motor unit. He said the AC fan motors are cheap $150 compared to the ECM motors and the single stage furnaces don't have more than one circuit board compared to 2 or 3 circuit boards in some 2 stage machines, and the boards can be upwards of $900 to replace.

From a cost perspective, I would save about $1000 upfront, but pay for the extra $5 per month in electricity to operate the fan motor over the operating life of the unit. That's equivalent to 16.5 years to break even!

He also said the 2 stage machines are all hype. I have read that 2 stage furnaces can operate on low stage all day long if the weather conditions do not call for maximum heat, but this guy said that's not how they work. He said it runs on low stage for about 10 - 15 minutes, then full power kicks in, which is contrary to what I have read.

The guy left it up to me as he sells both single stage and two stage furnaces.

Can you help clarify the points he made?

Thanks!
2 x Zoomer Wireless $36 loyalty plans
4 x Freedom Mobile plans
Ask me anything about Zoomer or Freedom
Feb 17, 2009
134 posts
I recently moved into a new home about 2 weeks ago, originally built in 1973. At certain times of the day (specifically early morning is when I notice it), there is a fan noise coming from the furnace that last about 3 seconds, every 2-3 minutes or so. It is very consistent in terms of the timing. There is a Honeywell humidifier on the furnace and I'm not sure if this has something to do with it. The A/C works fine currently but I'm just curious what the heck this noise is...

I realize this might be tough without pictures or a video, happy to provide one if it helps!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1074 posts
113 upvotes
Markham
dpw198 wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 8:21 am
Hi

My 15 yr old builder installed Carrier furnace fan motor died and I had it replaced this week. A few months ago, I had the fan capacitor replaced. The service tech said I may get at most another year or two out of the furnace as it is known to have a manufacturer defect with the heat exchanger.

I've been looking at several 2 stage/variable speed fan units, but the tech said not to waste my money on them as they are expensive to repair out of warranty if something goes wrong. He suggested I go with a high efficiency (95% efficient) single stage, AC fan motor unit. He said the AC fan motors are cheap $150 compared to the ECM motors and the single stage furnaces don't have more than one circuit board compared to 2 or 3 circuit boards in some 2 stage machines, and the boards can be upwards of $900 to replace.

From a cost perspective, I would save about $1000 upfront, but pay for the extra $5 per month in electricity to operate the fan motor over the operating life of the unit. That's equivalent to 16.5 years to break even!

He also said the 2 stage machines are all hype. I have read that 2 stage furnaces can operate on low stage all day long if the weather conditions do not call for maximum heat, but this guy said that's not how they work. He said it runs on low stage for about 10 - 15 minutes, then full power kicks in, which is contrary to what I have read.

The guy left it up to me as he sells both single stage and two stage furnaces.

Can you help clarify the points he made?

Thanks!

There is more than a $5/month savings for a variable speed ecm motor over a psc motor. Having said that there is a huge benefit of comfort that comes with this type of motor. The variable motors will ramp up and ramp down when they turn on and off. This reduces the noise level and sudden pressurization of your duct system..

With a proper matching thermostat you can also gain humidification control during air conditioning season as the motor can slow down to allow better air to coil contact.

If someone is saying that there are no benefits to a two stage variable speed furnace I think you should get other opinions. In regards to gas savings there will be none if the afue rating is the same.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1074 posts
113 upvotes
Markham
Malicious wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 8:24 am
I recently moved into a new home about 2 weeks ago, originally built in 1973. At certain times of the day (specifically early morning is when I notice it), there is a fan noise coming from the furnace that last about 3 seconds, every 2-3 minutes or so. It is very consistent in terms of the timing. There is a Honeywell humidifier on the furnace and I'm not sure if this has something to do with it. The A/C works fine currently but I'm just curious what the heck this noise is...

I realize this might be tough without pictures or a video, happy to provide one if it helps!
Post a link to the video and I can try to help. It could be a vibration caused by loose screws that is present when the motor turns on or off...?
Feb 17, 2009
134 posts
bririp wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 8:31 am
Post a link to the video and I can try to help. It could be a vibration caused by loose screws that is present when the motor turns on or off...?
Will do, probably later today or tomorrow morning when I'm home. It's not a vibration, definitely seems to be some type of fan or something cycling on/off...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1074 posts
113 upvotes
Markham
genesis1234 wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 8:36 am
Hello,

I was wondering if I could get your input on the thread below:

has-anybody-ever-filed-complaint-minist ... k-2121085/

Basically, we had an AC installation not too long ago, and weren't too happy with the job.

Thanks!!

Have you asked the contractor to repair? I would suggest giving the contractor a chance to address your concerns.
Oct 9, 2011
230 posts
55 upvotes
bririp wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 8:30 am
There is more than a $5/month savings for a variable speed ecm motor over a psc motor. Having said that there is a huge benefit of comfort that comes with this type of motor. The variable motors will ramp up and ramp down when they turn on and off. This reduces the noise level and sudden pressurization of your duct system..

With a proper matching thermostat you can also gain humidification control during air conditioning season as the motor can slow down to allow better air to coil contact.

If someone is saying that there are no benefits to a two stage variable speed furnace I think you should get other opinions. In regards to gas savings there will be none if the afue rating is the same.
Thanks! Great feedback.
2 x Zoomer Wireless $36 loyalty plans
4 x Freedom Mobile plans
Ask me anything about Zoomer or Freedom
Aug 21, 2017
7 posts
1 upvote
bririp wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 8:41 am
Have you asked the contractor to repair? I would suggest giving the contractor a chance to address your concerns.
I have tried numerous times, and they basically have only offered me $100. This does not come close to covering the cost to hire an electrician and repair the dry wall...
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
1945 posts
711 upvotes
Toronto
bririp wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 7:29 am
That amount of water isn't acceptable. It could be caused by air leakage where the pipe enters the metal, or a blocked drain, or an un-properly levelled evaporator coil. You should have someone come and check it out before it causes permanent damage to your furnace.
Thanks for the reply! A tech came last week and said the copper pipe that I think leads to the evaporator coil needed more silicone caulking...

The issue actually got worse, see how much water pooled again. This is A LOT of water and I'm lucky it didn't get into any of the electrical or else my furnace would be done for. They are actually on their way now again so I will mention this to them.
Images
  • IMG_20170820_222414775.jpg
  • IMG_20170820_222422503.jpg
  • IMG_20170820_222437495.jpg