Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
3027 posts
639 upvotes
Ottawa
radar2000 wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 4:07 pm
It came with our home back in 2001.

As for reason, he mentioned that he has seen many of these models recently and that 9/10 times the heat exchange is usually cracked. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ouch, don't let the tech in. The guy you saw yesterday has basically set you up for a 90% probability of getting red tagged. This is the last thing you need going into a holiday weekend.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1491 posts
403 upvotes
Woodbridge
Our home is very dry, and as a result, feels quite cold in the winter. We do our best not to go much higher than 24, but there are times that we go higher than that. I visit other homes that are set to 22/23 and they feel warmer than our house even when it's at 25. I'm guessing this has to do with humidity. Our bedroom has high ceilings and windows and feels significantly cooler than the living room, where the thermostat is. Would you guys recommend we get a small humidifier for just the bedroom, or would one of those furnace humidifiers for the whole home be worth it?
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
14399 posts
3852 upvotes
jvnanu wrote:
Dec 30th, 2017 11:14 am
Our home is very dry, and as a result, feels quite cold in the winter. We do our best not to go much higher than 24, but there are times that we go higher than that. I visit other homes that are set to 22/23 and they feel warmer than our house even when it's at 25. I'm guessing this has to do with humidity. Our bedroom has high ceilings and windows and feels significantly cooler than the living room, where the thermostat is. Would you guys recommend we get a small humidifier for just the bedroom, or would one of those furnace humidifiers for the whole home be worth it?
It may have to do with humidity but it may also have to do with cold spots or air leakage. Air leakage can also reduce humidity. Our bodies radiate heat to the coldest spot in their line of sight, making you feel colder then the room actually is. An example is the opposite, when your in front of a fire you feel warmer then the air around because its radiating lots of heat to you, even if your in a area with an air temperature below room temp
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Jul 22, 2003
56 posts
3 upvotes
jvnanu wrote:
Dec 30th, 2017 11:14 am
Whole home humidifiers work much better than the portable units.
May 25, 2016
29 posts
vedder311 wrote:
Dec 26th, 2017 7:14 pm
Hi, here is my scenerio and I'm hoping you can help;

I live in a house that is 17 years old with double pane windows. The temperature during the day is around 21 degrees with going to 18 at night, my humidity reads around 40-45 during the winter months with minus temperatures. I have a standard natural gas fireplace.
My issue is my window condensation, with just the family at home it’s constant condensation unless it’s a sunny day and the sun is shining on the window. When we have company with above average people in the house and we are cooking the condensation runs down and pools at the base of the window.
Only have the issue in the winter months with the cold temperatures.
My question is do I replace all my windows or do I install and HVAC system or do I do both, what is my best option.
Ok so here is where I am with this;

I am pricing out a HVR for my place but it's looking like it will run me $2500-4000 for a 1800 sq ft bungalow.
In the meantime I've noticed that the 'auto-on' switch on my thermostat for the fan only works on 'auto' when I put it to 'on' it doesn't work. I figured having this run all the time would help with my air circulation. Anybody know what the issue here is with the fan?
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
2067 posts
207 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
Looking for some advice on our whole home humidifier. When we moved in to the house in September I noticed the whole home humidifier did not work. I tested the control transformer (Pri: 120V, Sec: 24V 10VA) and determined the primary was open. I replaced the transformer with a new one (Pri: 120V, Sec: 24V 30VA). It was a higher rating than the old one but I figured it doesn't hurt and it was available free to me. It was a brand new transformer. I installed it, cranked the Ecobee setting so it would run as a test and sure enough the solenoid opened and let water start to flow. In the last few weeks I started to notice it was getting dry in here again so I went and took a look at the humidifier filter and it, along with the drain line were bone dry. I tested the transformer again and sure enough the primary is open yet again. I removed the solenoid and took an Ohm reading of 18Ohms across the 2 leads. Which to my understanding means it is fine. I measured the line on the furnace and hit 120V pretty much bang on so I know the voltage is good there.

Seeing as it is such a basic system, control transformer + solenoid I am at a loss as to what else I should check to troubleshoot this problem. Any suggestions or thoughts as to why this system would be frying transformers? I am quite eager to get this running again but don't want to keep buying transformers every month.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
3005 posts
920 upvotes
AB
ChicoQuente wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 2:58 pm
Looking for some advice on our whole home humidifier. When we moved in to the house in September I noticed the whole home humidifier did not work. I tested the control transformer (Pri: 120V, Sec: 24V 10VA) and determined the primary was open. I replaced the transformer with a new one (Pri: 120V, Sec: 24V 30VA). It was a higher rating than the old one but I figured it doesn't hurt and it was available free to me. It was a brand new transformer. I installed it, cranked the Ecobee setting so it would run as a test and sure enough the solenoid opened and let water start to flow. In the last few weeks I started to notice it was getting dry in here again so I went and took a look at the humidifier filter and it, along with the drain line were bone dry. I tested the transformer again and sure enough the primary is open yet again. I removed the solenoid and took an Ohm reading of 18Ohms across the 2 leads. Which to my understanding means it is fine. I measured the line on the furnace and hit 120V pretty much bang on so I know the voltage is good there.
Seeing as it is such a basic system, control transformer + solenoid I am at a loss as to what else I should check to troubleshoot this problem. Any suggestions or thoughts as to why this system would be frying transformers? I am quite eager to get this running again but don't want to keep buying transformers every month.
Did your humidifier issues start after installing the Ecobee?
Mine had issues in the past after the Ecobee install, but it's back running now after I did a reset of the thermostat. Maybe it's a different situation in your case.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
2067 posts
207 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
ciuvak wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 4:19 pm
Did your humidifier issues start after installing the Ecobee?
Mine had issues in the past after the Ecobee install, but it's back running now after I did a reset of the thermostat. Maybe it's a different situation in your case.
I am unsure. I don't think it's related but could be wrong. From what I can tell it never worked when we first moved in, believe the old transformer was already blown at that point. I replaced the transformer at the same time as installing the Ecobee and it did work for a little bit at least. I don't know the exact timing of when the new transformer fried. At the time of replacement I set it high to test it out but then set it back to normal and it did not need to run for awhile as the natural humidity was still well above the need for it to run.
Dec 17, 2017
14 posts
15 upvotes
Need help from the community with a furnace problem. Ontario has been under the extreme cold weather warning for the last 5-6 days and our furnace has been having issues hitting our set temperature (22 degrees). It's been lingering at around 16-19 degrees and blowing cold air instead of heat here and there. I've increased the temperature on the thermostat but that didn't help; I changed the air filter, changed the thermostat battery, and ensured that there's nothing blocking the pipe outside my house but those didn't help either.

I called the company that installed my furnace to check and he said that there's a circuit lockout error due to overheating. He reset the flame rollout, removed the cover that covers the flames in my furnace, opened a hole in my duct to decrease the pressure of the airflow that is going into my furnace, and drained the water from the pipe at the bottom of the furnace. There's a slight increase in temperature, but it's only going up to 20.5 degrees max. We're still experiencing cold air from the vent here and there. Is this normal? How are you guys getting through the extreme cold weather? We have a Bryant 95s furnace that is 6 years old.

Thanks in advance.
Apr 14, 2006
497 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
Hey everyone. Can anyone recommend a HVAC technician in the east end? Humidifier is not working, just doesn't turn on. When I move the temp/humidity dial from min to max, the humidifier light just flicks on for a split second then back off so it seems that power is still running through it. Thanks.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1081 posts
99 upvotes
Ajax
Is it normal to have cold air draft coming from the vent hood/draft diverter area. I'm assuming that's what the part is called. Did a quick google image search of a gas water heater anatomy. Apologies if I got it wrong.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
8320 posts
918 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Sounds like a similar issue that we have in our home. If the furnace runs for to long it basically overheats and cuts heat and just recirculates the air which then cools down and it just blows cold air as it cools down. We have a York Furnace)

Our issue (which may be similar to yours) has to do with a few things.

- HVAC company installed a 80,000btu Furnace which is way to big for our home and should of installed a 60,000btu furnace.
- We have an older home so the duct work is smaller then normal so airflow is restricted so the furnace is working harder
- Our home has little to no insulation which means the furnace works more often to keep the temp at our set level.

We have opened up a bigger air return & also opened another heating vent to help with the issue. This has helped slightly however on really cold days when the furnace is running more often it will still overheat and cut heating to the home.
pineapplebun wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 11:38 pm
Need help from the community with a furnace problem. Ontario has been under the extreme cold weather warning for the last 5-6 days and our furnace has been having issues hitting our set temperature (22 degrees). It's been lingering at around 16-19 degrees and blowing cold air instead of heat here and there. I've increased the temperature on the thermostat but that didn't help; I changed the air filter, changed the thermostat battery, and ensured that there's nothing blocking the pipe outside my house but those didn't help either.

I called the company that installed my furnace to check and he said that there's a circuit lockout error due to overheating. He reset the flame rollout, removed the cover that covers the flames in my furnace, opened a hole in my duct to decrease the pressure of the airflow that is going into my furnace, and drained the water from the pipe at the bottom of the furnace. There's a slight increase in temperature, but it's only going up to 20.5 degrees max. We're still experiencing cold air from the vent here and there. Is this normal? How are you guys getting through the extreme cold weather? We have a Bryant 95s furnace that is 6 years old.

Thanks in advance.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Feb 12, 2008
125 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Hi,

I am planning to convert my electrically heated house to forced air. I understand that the first step is to get a HVAC design for the house.

Can you recommend a good firm to get this done? Also, how much will it cost?

Thanks
---------------------------------
Almost all problems in our lives can be traced back to a lack of knowledge.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
8320 posts
918 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I Don't think you need a firm or whatever. If you have a good HVAC guy that knows what hes doing they can design & build it for you. I know of somebody if you are interested.

Thanks
musicgold wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 3:42 pm
Hi,

I am planning to convert my electrically heated house to forced air. I understand that the first step is to get a HVAC design for the house.

Can you recommend a good firm to get this done? Also, how much will it cost?

Thanks
0_o
<_<
>_>
Sep 26, 2015
3 posts
Toronto, ON
I've had a similar issue last week. My furnace was a 14 year old Luxaire. 100,000 BTU for a ~2500 sq ft home. It runs for an hour or so and then furnace blinks red 4 times (which means the primary limit switch was open for Luxaire). I called an HVAC guy. He basically adjusted the flame.

I've also tried the following:
- take out the furnace filter to increase air flow on colder days
- tape around doors and fireplace to reduce draft and heat loss
However, was still getting the occasional overheating issue.

Considering we have a 6 week old newborn, I decided to bite the bullet and change the furnace than worrying about checking the furnace every two hours to reset it in case it went into the "overheat" mode. Had a 80,000 BTU Carrier Performance 96 furnace installed on new years eve. Been good so far.

I moved into the house 3 years ago and didn't noticed an issue until this year. I presume because it has not been this cold in recent years.
sickcars wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 8:23 am
Sounds like a similar issue that we have in our home. If the furnace runs for to long it basically overheats and cuts heat and just recirculates the air which then cools down and it just blows cold air as it cools down. We have a York Furnace)

Our issue (which may be similar to yours) has to do with a few things.

- HVAC company installed a 80,000btu Furnace which is way to big for our home and should of installed a 60,000btu furnace.
- We have an older home so the duct work is smaller then normal so airflow is restricted so the furnace is working harder
- Our home has little to no insulation which means the furnace works more often to keep the temp at our set level.

We have opened up a bigger air return & also opened another heating vent to help with the issue. This has helped slightly however on really cold days when the furnace is running more often it will still overheat and cut heating to the home.