• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2018 7:48 pm
Tags:
Dec 17, 2017
22 posts
17 upvotes
sickcars wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 8:23 am
Sounds like a similar issue that we have in our home. If the furnace runs for to long it basically overheats and cuts heat and just recirculates the air which then cools down and it just blows cold air as it cools down. We have a York Furnace)

Our issue (which may be similar to yours) has to do with a few things.

- HVAC company installed a 80,000btu Furnace which is way to big for our home and should of installed a 60,000btu furnace.
- We have an older home so the duct work is smaller then normal so airflow is restricted so the furnace is working harder
- Our home has little to no insulation which means the furnace works more often to keep the temp at our set level.

We have opened up a bigger air return & also opened another heating vent to help with the issue. This has helped slightly however on really cold days when the furnace is running more often it will still overheat and cut heating to the home.
Thanks for your reply. Our house temperature remains at around 19 degrees during the extreme cold weather days which sucks... Brr...
Sep 20, 2008
85 posts
15 upvotes
St. John's, NL
I just purchased a wifi thermostat to use with my oil furnace/boiler with hot water radiation. Have heat only. No A/C (in Newfoundland - not likely)

My current programmable thermostat only required 2 wires and that's what was there. This one requires the 3rd 'C-wire' for constant power.

Is it possible for me to get this c-wire from my current set up?

Furnace electrical box has only 2 screw terminals for thermostat. These 2 wires feed out into a mess of other wires.
I have 2 zones, 1 for each level. There is a transformer separate from the furnace, which I assume is supplying 24 VDC to the valves for each zone?

I can supply more details and pics if that would help. I have read some articles that lead me to believe I can get what I need from current set up but I am not sure.

I have no problem running new 3 conductor from furnace/transformer to thermostat.

Thanks in advance
Ed
Jan 19, 2013
202 posts
71 upvotes
hilroy97 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 10:02 pm
I just purchased a wifi thermostat to use with my oil furnace/boiler with hot water radiation. Have heat only. No A/C (in Newfoundland - not likely)

My current programmable thermostat only required 2 wires and that's what was there. This one requires the 3rd 'C-wire' for constant power.

Is it possible for me to get this c-wire from my current set up?

Furnace electrical box has only 2 screw terminals for thermostat. These 2 wires feed out into a mess of other wires.
I have 2 zones, 1 for each level. There is a transformer separate from the furnace, which I assume is supplying 24 VDC to the valves for each zone?

I can supply more details and pics if that would help. I have read some articles that lead me to believe I can get what I need from current set up but I am not sure.

I have no problem running new 3 conductor from furnace/transformer to thermostat.

Thanks in advance
Ed
Need to pull two wires from transformer connecting to rc and common on tstat
Existing two wire thermostat goto rh and w
Nov 30, 2005
581 posts
43 upvotes
Hi,

I am noticing an almost burn electrical/dust smell in two of the rooms of the house when the heat is on. This smell is not detected anywhere in the house and is always localized between the junction of these two rooms. Initially I thought it would be something in the furnance overheating but is that likely given that it is limited to these two rooms that are close to each other and no where else in the house? These two rooms are normally hotter (in the summer) and colder (in the winter) than the rest of the house when the doors are closed. Could there be some issue with the ventilation system? The house is less than 2 years old.

Any insight would be great.

Thanks,
David
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2007
4367 posts
603 upvotes
Hi there, I have a two year old condo and the heat coil is clogged. Tech try to flush the coil and notice the water coming out is brown. He said notthing he can really do. He talked to building management as there was a similar issue in another suite. He asked if management can flush the building water. He told me I can try replacing the coil to see if that improves the heating. If I replace the coil and it gets clog, should not property management be responsible? What are the warranty on these hvac units these days. Thanks
Nov 12, 2012
234 posts
261 upvotes
Mississauga
Hi I have 22 year old Builder installed Lennox Furnace. I bought house in 2014, I never had problems with Furnace, From last month, furnace is not working properly. if I set up temp to 24, it goes to 23 or so and then it blows cool air and brings down the temp to 18 or 19, If I stop the heating and turn on after 5 min then it works. I have plan to replace in 1 year, but for now, I need a solution to fix this. I contacted some repair guys, they came and looked at it and said they have no idea whats wrong, all they say is to replace it. any helpful advice is appreciated.

btw, I am using Ecobee3 thermostat and wait 6000 humidifier.
Oct 9, 2011
475 posts
179 upvotes
GTA
RFDler wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 9:43 am
Hi I have 22 year old Builder installed Lennox Furnace. I bought house in 2014, I never had problems with Furnace, From last month, furnace is not working properly. if I set up temp to 24, it goes to 23 or so and then it blows cool air and brings down the temp to 18 or 19, If I stop the heating and turn on after 5 min then it works. I have plan to replace in 1 year, but for now, I need a solution to fix this. I contacted some repair guys, they came and looked at it and said they have no idea whats wrong, all they say is to replace it. any helpful advice is appreciated.

Have you ruled out it's not your Ecobee? Going out on a limb here but do you have your Ecobee set to automatically switch from Heat to Cold? What are your thresholds?
2 x Zoomer Wireless $36 loyalty plans
4 x Freedom Mobile plans
Ask me anything about Zoomer or Freedom
Ecobee 3 Lite curtesy of Green On (ie tax payers)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
8389 posts
943 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Im going to copy and paste my reply to another user which may help you.

Sounds like a similar issue that we have in our home. If the furnace runs for to long it basically overheats and cuts heat and just recirculates the air which then cools down and it just blows cold air as it cools down. We have a York Furnace) It triggers the limit switch.

- HVAC company installed a 80,000btu Furnace which is way to big for our home and should of installed a 60,000btu furnace.
- We have an older home so the duct work is smaller then normal so airflow is restricted so the furnace is working harder & only a few return air vents.
- Our home has little to no insulation which means the furnace works more often to keep the temp at our set level.

We have opened up a bigger air return & also opened another heating vent to help with the issue basically get as much air in and out of the furnace so it does not overheat and trigger the limit switch. This has helped slightly however on really cold days when the furnace is running more often it will still overheat and cut heating to the home.

Also make sure you have a new clean air filter and it cannot be one of the higher rated ones that restrict airflow as this can cause issues.
RFDler wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 9:43 am

0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
14608 posts
4077 upvotes
sickcars wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 2:58 pm

Sounds like a similar issue that we have in our home. If the furnace runs for to long it basically overheats and cuts heat and just recirculates the air which then cools down and it just blows cold air as it cools down. We have a York Furnace) It triggers the limit switch.

- We have an older home so the duct work is smaller then normal so airflow is restricted so the furnace is working harder & only a few return air vents.

We have opened up a bigger air return & also opened another heating vent to help with the issue basically get as much air in and out of the furnace so it does not overheat and trigger the limit switch. This has helped slightly however on really cold days when the furnace is running more often it will still overheat and cut heating to the home.

Also make sure you have a new clean air filter and it cannot be one of the higher rated ones that restrict airflow as this can cause issues.
You have mentioned this over sizing a few times, i wonder if you really need a 40K furnace, have you ever had a heat load analysis done?
General Zod for Premier would have been less evil then the other guy
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
8389 posts
943 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
lol well I mentioned it because people have similar issues that I have had so I provide my info from my experience.

We still have the old furnace because it started giving us issues the same winter we bought it and we were not about to go buy another new furnace. We also only found out what the issue was about 5 years of owning the furnace and them coming out multiple times. The way we get around it for now is to keep the furnace temp at around 70-72F on the thermostat. Eventually when it dies or the repair is to much we will be putting in a Dual stage 60,000 btu or maybe even a 40,000btu as you suggested.
Quentin5 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 3:03 pm
You have mentioned this over sizing a few times, i wonder if you really need a 40K furnace, have you ever had a heat load analysis done?
0_o
<_<
>_>
Nov 12, 2012
234 posts
261 upvotes
Mississauga
dpw198 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 10:17 am
Have you ruled out it's not your Ecobee? Going out on a limb here but do you have your Ecobee set to automatically switch from Heat to Cold? What are your thresholds?
Thanks, but I have set my ecobee3 to 23.5 HEAT only.

I have not setup the cold yet
Last edited by RFDler on Jan 11th, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 12, 2012
234 posts
261 upvotes
Mississauga
sickcars wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 2:58 pm

Thanks,

I will have to change the air filter and see. Also when a technician came, he did mention that its overheating because of the sensor is in cold room and to make that room to 23.5 the furnace is blowing at high speed. then shuts of heat and cools down. I did unpair the other sensor from the ecobee. still have issue. I did check for all ducts they are open, checked the vents for intake and they are good too.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
14608 posts
4077 upvotes
sickcars wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 3:22 pm
lol well I mentioned it because people have similar issues that I have had so I provide my info from my experience.

We still have the old furnace because it started giving us issues the same winter we bought it and we were not about to go buy another new furnace. We also only found out what the issue was about 5 years of owning the furnace and them coming out multiple times. The way we get around it for now is to keep the furnace temp at around 70-72F on the thermostat. Eventually when it dies or the repair is to much we will be putting in a Dual stage 60,000 btu or maybe even a 40,000btu as you suggested.
I understand, its a very good point when someone has this to solve it, though i was giving it more thought, i had read an article a while back that found oversizing furnaces caused a different problem then you have, very short cycling with unhappy residents, cold/hot/cold/hot repeatedly, so i think your problem may not be solved with a smaller furnace, you may need to enlarge your vents in addition to a smaller furnace. In fact your furnace may even be correctly sized for the house but can't get he warmth out of the furnace and into the house.
That said enlarging vents is not an easy task depending on the design of your house, but it would really suck if you got a smaller furnace yet had the same problem again.
General Zod for Premier would have been less evil then the other guy
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
8389 posts
943 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Yes and you are correct with that thought. I know for sure our vents going to the 2nd floor are smaller more restricted square type duct work which for sure is an issue. I have actually thought about it and adding an exhaust & intake going to our 2nd floor using normal sized ducts would defiantly be a benefit however the issue is that our home is all finished & opening the walls and making a mess does not really work. However I think going down to a 60,000 btu dual stage & Variable motor would help and probably solve my issues based on what a few HVAC techs have told me & 2 of those techs are good friends of mine. However a 40,000btu could also be considered & may work.

Yes the furnace does Short Cycle on very cold days if we increase the thermostat temp to the 74f range.

Unfortunately we are waiting until there is another major repair until we replace it.

Thanks

Quentin5 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 3:02 am
I understand, its a very good point when someone has this to solve it, though i was giving it more thought, i had read an article a while back that found oversizing furnaces caused a different problem then you have, very short cycling with unhappy residents, cold/hot/cold/hot repeatedly, so i think your problem may not be solved with a smaller furnace, you may need to enlarge your vents in addition to a smaller furnace. In fact your furnace may even be correctly sized for the house but can't get he warmth out of the furnace and into the house.
That said enlarging vents is not an easy task depending on the design of your house, but it would really suck if you got a smaller furnace yet had the same problem again.
0_o
<_<
>_>

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)