Jul 4, 2018
72 posts
10 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
1chinaman wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 11:26 pm
Turns freely?
If so, and not coming on normally and hot
Likely bad motor, small chance its bad supply voltage or bad capacitor and not starting
1chinaman wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 11:51 pm
Yes, normal should turn freely by hand.
Wish you all the best
Those Inducer motors aint cheap fyi
And the hits keep coming.

I guessed as much.
Richmond Hill, ON

Seeking:
55+" Samsung/LG TV
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14312 posts
4181 upvotes
Here 'n There
Ask This Old House had an episode where they went to Germany and described the usage of a micro combined heat and power unit, aka micro-CHP or mCHP unit. It generates both heat and electricity. What do you think about them. Are they gaining popularity in Canada?
Jul 4, 2018
72 posts
10 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
1chinaman wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 11:26 pm
Turns freely?
If so, and not coming on normally and hot
Likely bad motor, small chance its bad supply voltage or bad capacitor and not starting
1chinaman wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 11:51 pm
Yes, normal should turn freely by hand.
Wish you all the best
Those Inducer motors aint cheap fyi
Scriptmonkey wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 11:58 pm
And the hits keep coming.

I guessed as much.
And the motor is dead. Need to replace it, but the furnace installed in 2001.

The guy we hired said it'll cost around $500 for parts.

Replace the motor or get a new Furnace?
Richmond Hill, ON

Seeking:
55+" Samsung/LG TV
Jan 19, 2013
360 posts
171 upvotes
Ottawa
Scriptmonkey wrote:
Dec 9th, 2018 6:45 pm
And the motor is dead. Need to replace it, but the furnace installed in 2001.

The guy we hired said it'll cost around $500 for parts.

Replace the motor or get a new Furnace?
At 18years old, its up there, could get a few more years.
Planning to stay at your place a while? Get a new furnace if finances allow.
When it’s -20 outside and your furnace stops again, nobody’s got time to replace it then. Stuck repairing it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
6712 posts
624 upvotes
TO
Some of you are brave souls by opening your HVAC units, I'd be a chicken to do something like that doesn't matter if it's off from the circuit :)

Question: does anyone here uses those air vent filters to capture fine dust particles and do they work? I'm reading online that it may reduce the air flow which makes sense but we had some work done in basement and until we have the furnace blower and ducts cleaned, I was thinking of putting these up in the floor vents.
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC ;)

"You can’t soar with the eagles if you’re hanging with the turkeys.”Gary Kent
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
6712 posts
624 upvotes
TO
In order to ensure no dust remains in the ducts as we've had some work done in our basement, I'm shopping for a duct cleaning company and was wondering if I should be asking for cleaning the Blower/Fan and also ducts or together or will cleaning furnace blower do the job?
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC ;)

"You can’t soar with the eagles if you’re hanging with the turkeys.”Gary Kent
Aug 31, 2006
250 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Hi,

Usually when my condo fan coil system is bumping up warmer air, it geneates a metallic scratching noise for a couple of seconds.

So far I know this only happens during the winter except for the 1st winter.

Can this problem be fixed? What are common root of cause for the noise?
Jul 7, 2007
927 posts
400 upvotes
Is it worth upgrading (swapping my perfectly fine, house built in 2014) single stage HVAC blower fan to a two-stage or variable speed fan?

I've read online that having a two-stage fan increases comfort in the home (more consistent heat) and lowers energy costs.

To my understanding there is a two-stage fan. The second stage is programmed to the max fan setting (just like the output of a single-stage fan) and the first stage can be programed to 40-60% of maximum output depending on the size of the house.

There is also a variable fan, in that it starts out slowly and then the fan speed gradually goes from 0% to 100% power, then back down to 0% power.

My question is:
1) between a two-stage fan vs. a variable speed fan, which is better for comfort and energy efficiency?
2) my concern is that if the fan is at 50% of maximum output, wouldn't that mean it is not strong enough to push all the hot air into all my rooms? The heat would just remain stuck in the vents and not go out into my rooms? I'm worried that this defeats the purpose of the energy efficiency gains. My house footprint is roughly 41 x 47 feet (3800sq two story).
3) how will a two-stage or variable speed fan affect my gas consumption? If say the blower fan is operating at 50% maximum output, would the gas I'm consuming also be at 50%? Is the gas output regulated by the speed of the blower fan? So for example, if the blower fan is at 50% power, then the gas used is also regulated at 50%?

Thanks!
Oct 9, 2011
854 posts
360 upvotes
GTA
Zero Hope wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 10:43 am
Is it worth upgrading (swapping my perfectly fine, house built in 2014) single stage HVAC blower fan to a two-stage or variable speed fan?

I've read online that having a two-stage fan increases comfort in the home (more consistent heat) and lowers energy costs.

To my understanding there is a two-stage fan. The second stage is programmed to the max fan setting (just like the output of a single-stage fan) and the first stage can be programed to 40-60% of maximum output depending on the size of the house.

There is also a variable fan, in that it starts out slowly and then the fan speed gradually goes from 0% to 100% power, then back down to 0% power.

My question is:
1) between a two-stage fan vs. a variable speed fan, which is better for comfort and energy efficiency?
2) my concern is that if the fan is at 50% of maximum output, wouldn't that mean it is not strong enough to push all the hot air into all my rooms? The heat would just remain stuck in the vents and not go out into my rooms? I'm worried that this defeats the purpose of the energy efficiency gains. My house footprint is roughly 41 x 47 feet (3800sq two story).
3) how will a two-stage or variable speed fan affect my gas consumption? If say the blower fan is operating at 50% maximum output, would the gas I'm consuming also be at 50%? Is the gas output regulated by the speed of the blower fan? So for example, if the blower fan is at 50% power, then the gas used is also regulated at 50%?

Thanks!
I'd replaced my 15 yr old single stage furnace with a 2 stage furnace last month.

My observation is the 2 stage is definitely more "comfortable" than the single stage furnace I previously owned. This is achieved by running at a lower setting (for my furnace pre-set at factory for 65 or 70%) for a longer time period. My furnace was actually wired as a single stage for the first week owning it and I noticed the hot followed by cold spells characterized by single stage furnaces. I eventually ran an extra wire to the thermostat and now it operates as a 2 stage furnace.

I don't know if the fan actually runs at a slower speed when it is running at Stage 1 furnace setting, but it does "feel" like there is less air being pushed through the vents. The spec sheet says mine has a multi speed ECM motor so I'd imagine the furnace somehow controls this aspect. (Then again, maybe it's just High and Low, with High when the furnace is operating in Stage 2 mode and Low when in Stage 1 mode).

I have an Ecobee thermostat and I can see for yesterday, it ran on Stage 1 for a little less than 10 hours, and kicked into Stage 2 for about 5 minutes for the 24 hour period. The decision to go between Stage 1 and Stage 2 is controlled by the Ecobee.

It is too early for me to say whether I'm saving any money through a reduction in gas consumption with the unit running predominately on Stage 1. I would imagine Stage 2 will be used more often once we are in January and February.

I'm pretty sure you will never recover the cost of replacing your single stage furnace with a 2 stage furnace throughout it's useful life if your existing furnace is still functional. However, I can tell you it is more "comfortable" in my 5 bedroom 3000 sq ft house, even the coldest room on top of my garage.
1 x Zoomer Wireless $40.50 loyalty plan - 5 GB of data!
5 x Freedom Mobile plans
Ecobee 3 Lite courtesy of Green On (ie tax payers)
Jan 8, 2015
129 posts
56 upvotes
York, ON
Anyone know a good HVAC engineer(s) for designing residential duct systems for finished houses in the Burlington area ?
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3421 posts
2179 upvotes
Toronto
Why is one of my bedrooms not getting furnace pressure? The room is always cold and I can't feel anything coming from the vent when its on, but all the other upstairs rooms are fine.
FreezingCanada wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2015 5:41 pm
We voted him in as God of RFD last month. Where were you during elections...?
Oct 9, 2011
854 posts
360 upvotes
GTA
CoolDudeClan wrote:
Dec 16th, 2018 12:03 am
Why is one of my bedrooms not getting furnace pressure? The room is always cold and I can't feel anything coming from the vent when its on, but all the other upstairs rooms are fine.
Is it the farthest room from the furnace? Check your dampers in the basement? Perhaps it closed? It could also be blocked with construction garbage if you’re in a new build and haven’t had your ducts cleaned yet.
1 x Zoomer Wireless $40.50 loyalty plan - 5 GB of data!
5 x Freedom Mobile plans
Ecobee 3 Lite courtesy of Green On (ie tax payers)
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2003
1123 posts
89 upvotes
I recently picked up a new water panel for my humidifier and some filters for my furnace from Furnancefilter.ca in Brampton.

I had a conversation with the rep there when I inquired about the larger 5+ filters they had.

My house is about 3 years old, have a Goodman furnace. The rep claimed a house that new should have a high efficiency furnace which I believe it is. The builder's installer decided to install a filter cabinet to accommodate a 1" thick filter.

Is it worth paying an HVAC guy to replace the boot so that the furnace can use a 5+ inch high efficiency filter? He mentioned it would be approx. $300?
Sep 5, 2005
254 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
nourel wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 11:08 pm
Anyone know a good HVAC engineer(s) for designing residential duct systems for finished houses in the Burlington area ?
You can PM me for details
-Ashraf
Apr 21, 2012
286 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
I just fitted a nest thermostat, and also have a Honeywell HE240 humidifier, is there a way to wire both of these to the Trane XV95 furnace I have? The humidifier is currently on a plug in transformer and I am not convinced its doing anything, everytime I check the humidifier for water going through it, I see nothing.
thanks in advance