Home & Garden

Ask me anything about HVAC heating air conditioning air quality control

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2019 11:57 pm
Nov 6, 2009
869 posts
132 upvotes
Are filters recommended for individual return air ducts on home hvac system?
Asking for Toronto area and looking at using something light as a filter.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2016
13051 posts
1466 upvotes
Doesnt matter, every…
Recently moved into a house with a dual zone setup, upstairs and downstairs, bi-level.

I have always used mid grade furnace filters, merv 5-6, nothing over the top. Garrison ones from Canadian Tire mostly. That was for my old house, with a single zone furnace.

I have read with dual zone a person should use just plain old fibreglass filters, is that true? I realize the higher the Merv the less air that travels through, or harder to travel through. Furnace is a single stage fan, not a dual stage

I am also contending for the first time a house with the furnace at the far side of the house in the basement, not the middle. So I am getting very low air flow the far end of the house. Its a bi-level thats about 1350 sq ft. The difference is very noticeable, not by a little but a lot, compared to rooms close to or above the furnace. I have tried to run the system with all power dampers open, or with one zone closed and another open, but the air flow seems to be the same upper or lower floor the one side of the house.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
4546 posts
1417 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
sonajatt wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 4:30 pm
Are filters recommended for individual return air ducts on home hvac system?
Asking for Toronto area and looking at using something light as a filter.
Not really as you should have one filter at furnace.

In houses where they have furnace in crawl space and in attic [US] then it is onerous to replace filter at furnace so they use filters on returns. They usually have two returns [one large like 20x25 and another 14x16 or 10x12 or something similar]. The second floor would have two returns as well.
Nov 6, 2009
869 posts
132 upvotes
georvu wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 10:45 pm
Not really as you should have one filter at furnace
Thanks. Intention is to keep the return air ducts clean (to a degree) from build ups.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
4546 posts
1417 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
sonajatt wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:36 pm
Thanks. Intention is to keep the return air ducts clean (to a degree) from build ups.
Whatever dust gets into ducts should be cleaned by filter at furnace.

Do get that you want to keep ducts clean BEFORE any dust gets into them so could put filters at returns [Many houses in USA do that as explained above].

This would mean more filters [may have to diy depending on size] and doubt the returns' holes are made to accept filters [as they are in USA]... nonetheless it is possible. Try it

Next question... if put filters on returns do you need at furnace? No, but can try either way.

PLEASE do not over restrict furnace. If notice filters are sucked way too much on one side then perhaps filters dirty or too restrictive.
May 3, 2008
919 posts
453 upvotes
Markham
Hi I have my thermostat set at 21 when we are home but let it drop to 17 during the day. Do I actually save on natural gas or actually worse cuz it actually uses more gas to heat house back up from 17 to 21 when we get home ? Also my furnace has a "energy efficient" fan and can be set to on 24-7. However I do notice it is like having a 60-watt bulb on 24-7 and it adds up in hydro bills. Do I actually save at the end cuz it circulates the warm air better and use less nat gas.
Temp. Banned
Dec 19, 2009
3507 posts
1491 upvotes
savemoresaveoften wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:38 am
Hi I have my thermostat set at 21 when we are home but let it drop to 17 during the day. Do I actually save on natural gas or actually worse cuz it actually uses more gas to heat house back up from 17 to 21 when we get home ? Also my furnace has a "energy efficient" fan and can be set to on 24-7. However I do notice it is like having a 60-watt bulb on 24-7 and it adds up in hydro bills. Do I actually save at the end cuz it circulates the warm air better and use less nat gas.
You do save when you lower your thermostat as your house loses less heat/hour as the temperature inside drops. And any time your furnace fan is running you're spending money and it would just be for comfort if that has a price. But if you're running your fan for comfort and coming home to a cold house which is not comfort you're defeating the purpose unless you can warm your house before you get home which in turn cost more money.
Sep 26, 2007
484 posts
37 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Hi there,
I am looking for some help on my furnace situation. It's an old 2007 Carrier Two stage furnace which died this evening.

1) Long story short, my furnace wasn't working this evening when I got home and called someone to check it out. He said that the Igniter needs to be replaced however, by law, he also has to check the level of carbon monoxide inside the house and through the flue. If it's above 100PPM, he will have to tag my furnace and we won't be able to use it until it's repaired.
Is that correct?
If I didn't have this igniter issue, we wouldn't have known and life goes on but now, we got no heat and very frustrated.

2) During our conversation, he is recommending to replace the furnace as it's quite old and the motor is getting squeaky which will fail very soon. The other reason for replacement is to take advantage of the manufacturers rebate ($700 if I go with Carrier/Bryant) and IESO rebate.($250).
He is suggesting a similar two stage furnace (Carrier 59TP6A100 $3800 or Bryant 926TA60100 $3500 + tax).
I don't like to be put on spot like that and the challenge is that I don't have enough time to ask for multiple quotes. Now I am locked in to agree on a price that he is quoting me.

So here are my questions:
How do I choose between Carrier and Bryant if they are from the same manufacturer? What about Lennox from Costco?
The price includes labor. Is the price reasonable?
Should I even get a quote from Enercare?

Your help is very much appreciated.
Thank you.
Temp. Banned
Dec 19, 2009
3507 posts
1491 upvotes
jmichou wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 11:00 pm
Hi there,
I am looking for some help on my furnace situation. It's an old 2007 Carrier Two stage furnace which died this evening.

1) Long story short, my furnace wasn't working this evening when I got home and called someone to check it out. He said that the Igniter needs to be replaced however, by law, he also has to check the level of carbon monoxide inside the house and through the flue. If it's above 100PPM, he will have to tag my furnace and we won't be able to use it until it's repaired.
Is that correct?
If I didn't have this igniter issue, we wouldn't have known and life goes on but now, we got no heat and very frustrated.

Thank you.
Tell him to show you the law ... if he can't, tell him to pick up his tools and get out of your house.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15894 posts
5157 upvotes
savemoresaveoften wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:38 am
Yes you do save, though its only a few percent but its still a savings.

If the fan is using 60W then its 1440Wh/day or 43.920kWh/month @ 15 c/kWh averaged including ancillary charges it costs you about $6.59/month.
But its probably using more, my 40K ECM furnace uses about 100W when set to fan, 2.4kWh/day, 73.2kWh/month and $10.98/month.
Its not saving you any energy to run it 24/7, it wastes your money and adds wear on your blower motor.
If your house/duct system is very poorly designed and has very obtuse air distribution then it might help even things out but if thats not the case all your doing is throwing away money Probably more money then the setback is saving you. Plus the setback recovery time is mixing your air quite thoroughly, its probably taking an hour or so to fully recover the temperature.
jmichou wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 11:00 pm
Hi there,

Is that correct?

2) During our conversation, he is recommending to replace the furnace as it's quite old and the motor is getting squeaky which will fail very soon. The other reason for replacement is to take advantage of the manufacturers rebate ($700 if I go with Carrier/Bryant) and IESO rebate.($250).
He is suggesting a similar two stage furnace (Carrier 59TP6A100 $3800 or Bryant 926TA60100 $3500 + tax).
I don't like to be put on spot like that and the challenge is that I don't have enough time to ask for multiple quotes. Now I am locked in to agree on a price that he is quoting me.

So here are my questions:
How do I choose between Carrier and Bryant if they are from the same manufacturer? What about Lennox from Costco?
The price includes labor. Is the price reasonable?
Should I even get a quote from Enercare?

Thank you.
I agree with pootza, if he has not come yet find someone else.
He is setting you up for a replacement based on needing a new igniter and thinks your a sucker.
All spirits are enslaved that serve things evil
May 3, 2008
919 posts
453 upvotes
Markham
Quentin5 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 12:41 am
Yes you do save, though its only a few percent but its still a savings.

If the fan is using 60W then its 1440Wh/day or 43.920kWh/month @ 15 c/kWh averaged including ancillary charges it costs you about $6.59/month.
But its probably using more, my 40K ECM furnace uses about 100W when set to fan, 2.4kWh/day, 73.2kWh/month and $10.98/month.
Its not saving you any energy to run it 24/7, it wastes your money and adds wear on your blower motor.
If your house/duct system is very poorly designed and has very obtuse air distribution then it might help even things out but if thats not the case all your doing is throwing away money Probably more money then the setback is saving you. Plus the setback recovery time is mixing your air quite thoroughly, its probably taking an hour or so to fully recover the temperature.
Thanks for the info. Yes I noticed my hydro bill went up compared months YoY since I got new furnace and was advised to leave the "energy efficient fan" on 24-7. Even set at 40%, its a noticeable increase in hydro usage since rest of house are all energy efficicient avg 8-10 watts per bulb and certainly not on 24-7 like the furnace fan.

My house is only 15years old so sounds like leaving fan on round the clock does not really do much and just waste energy and money at the end.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15894 posts
5157 upvotes
savemoresaveoften wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 8:15 am
Thanks for the info. Yes I noticed my hydro bill went up compared months YoY since I got new furnace and was advised to leave the "energy efficient fan" on 24-7. Even set at 40%, its a noticeable increase in hydro usage since rest of house are all energy efficicient avg 8-10 watts per bulb and certainly not on 24-7 like the furnace fan.
You say 40%, it has multiple settings?
Who gave you this advice. Even if it was the installer its not smart (and maybe meant to drum up some future business?).
My house is only 15years old so sounds like leaving fan on round the clock does not really do much and just waste energy and money at the end.
Yes.
At 15 years old it should be insulated and have decent duct design. At best you could make sure the duct seams are taped and that no ducts have disconnected themselves (the ones you can see).
May 3, 2008
919 posts
453 upvotes
Markham
Quentin5 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 8:29 am
You say 40%, it has multiple settings?
Who gave you this advice. Even if it was the installer its not smart (and maybe meant to drum up some future business?).
Yes its a Carrier and I can select 40, 70 or 100% speed if I remember correctly. Definitely more advance than just on or off.
Its the installer who suggested since it can be set at a lower speed, I should leave ON all the time as it helps to even out temp throughout the house (3200 sft plus basement)
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15894 posts
5157 upvotes
savemoresaveoften wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 8:39 am
Yes its a Carrier and I can select 40, 70 or 100% speed if I remember correctly. Definitely more advance than just on or off.
Its the installer who suggested since it can be set at a lower speed, I should leave ON all the time as it helps to even out temp throughout the house (3200 sft plus basement)
If you don't mind spending on the electricity you can leave it on but if the ducts are balanced properly you should have no problems with not using it and saving money.
In my case ~100W is fan/stage 1, ~200W stage 2 and ~400W AC. I can't select the modes however, but have measured the power outputs on all of them with my whole house energy monitor. I have the fan set to auto and have no problems, and i'm not spending an extra ~$130/year for nothing. If your furnace is larger then mine even that 40% may be more then mine is since i don't know your furnace size and mine is a different brand.
Mar 8, 2006
818 posts
864 upvotes
Looking to get a whole home bypass humidifier installed onto my furnace. House is 1800 sq/ft. Any idea what the cost would be?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

hempopotamus