Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
1737 posts
748 upvotes
GTA
BigJonsson wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 1:22 pm
Ok, looks like it fits alright
Fit perfectly in the bottom track and is flush with the u channel on the top side

Should I have left in the pre-filter?
Looks good, the door when put on should be tight against the filter too.
Remove those pre and post washable filters, with that in there you done need them.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2777 posts
641 upvotes
lilmikey wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 1:52 pm
Looks good, the door when put on should be tight against the filter too.
Remove those pre and post washable filters, with that in there you done need them.
Heh, can't get the door perfectly closed as the locking knob thing on the inside goes right into the cardboard but it's on there pretty solid. I dunno if I could remove the door handle and stick tape or something over it, or not use the door and use something else to seal the opening?

I can feel some air getting around the filter but this is as good as it's gonna get, anything larger won't fit at all with the door closed. Furnace is like 13 or so years old anyway, when it dies I'll get a proper size filter cabinet.

This is my first disposable filter, I guess I should check it monthly and expect to change it in 6+ months? Anything else I should check in the system?
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
1737 posts
748 upvotes
GTA
BigJonsson wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 2:00 pm
Heh, can't get the door perfectly closed as the locking knob thing on the inside goes right into the cardboard but it's on there pretty solid. I dunno if I could remove the door handle and stick tape or something over it, or not use the door and use something else to seal the opening?

I can feel some air getting around the filter but this is as good as it's gonna get, anything larger won't fit at all with the door closed. Furnace is like 13 or so years old anyway, when it dies I'll get a proper size filter cabinet.

This is my first disposable filter, I guess I should check it monthly and expect to change it in 6+ months? Anything else I should check in the system?
Leave the knob and its good if its tight on the door closure , dont worry.
If no animals and you run your fan on Auto, every 6 months should be fine aka Spring and Fall.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2777 posts
641 upvotes
lilmikey wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 2:03 pm
Leave the knob and its good if its tight on the door closure , dont worry.
If no animals and you run your fan on Auto, every 6 months should be fine aka Spring and Fall.
Excellent, thanks for your suggestions!

I'm probably going to get disgusted by how much stuff it pulls out of the air that the EAC cells weren't catching because I doubt they've been working properly in years =/
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
1737 posts
748 upvotes
GTA
BigJonsson wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 2:12 pm
Excellent, thanks for your suggestions!

I'm probably going to get disgusted by how much stuff it pulls out of the air that the EAC cells weren't catching because I doubt they've been working properly in years =/
Good way to see is just remove the bottom cover on your furnace to look into the blower section , if section is very dirty i'd look getting your furnace cleaned
ie. remove and clean blower wheel/motor, secondary heat exchanger, AC coil etc.
Oct 9, 2011
870 posts
374 upvotes
GTA
BigJonsson wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 1:22 pm

Should I have left in the pre-filter?
No need for it. Leaving it in may restrict airflow and makes your furnace work that much harder.
1 x Zoomer Wireless $40.50 loyalty plan - 5 GB of data!
5 x Freedom Mobile plans
Ecobee 3 Lite courtesy of Green On (ie tax payers)
Aug 28, 2009
68 posts
39 upvotes
Winnipeg
Thanks for the thread! I’ve learned a ton! I obviously have a question if you have time:
I recently installed a whole home humidifier flow through humidifier, it works great other than the water runs all the time. I would like it to only run when the heat is called for, but I’m not sure how to wire it. I currently have the humidifier hooked to R and C. There doesn’t appear to be a Hum option, just a dehum and checking the voltage there is none when the unit calls for heat. Furnace is a Goodman with comfort bridge, I do have the app to change settings. Thanks!
Images
  • DF8C9C29-A818-4A14-BD4E-6D6295CB19D6.jpeg
  • D97CFBDD-A14B-4EAE-9B8A-348E6CC80AF4.jpeg
Jan 19, 2013
384 posts
215 upvotes
Ottawa
kev994 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 9:44 am
Thanks for the thread! I’ve learned a ton! I obviously have a question if you have time:
I recently installed a whole home humidifier flow through humidifier, it works great other than the water runs all the time. I would like it to only run when the heat is called for, but I’m not sure how to wire it. I currently have the humidifier hooked to R and C. There doesn’t appear to be a Hum option, just a dehum and checking the voltage there is none when the unit calls for heat. Furnace is a Goodman with comfort bridge, I do have the app to change settings. Thanks!
You ll have to refer to the install manual on how to hook it up it properly.
Can’t seen to find the updated manuals online yet.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
1737 posts
748 upvotes
GTA
kev994 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 9:44 am
Run the wires to W and C , humidistat should be in series with the solenoid valve fyi
Aug 28, 2009
68 posts
39 upvotes
Winnipeg
lilmikey wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 10:09 am
Run the wires to W and C , humidistat should be in series with the solenoid valve fyi
Works great! Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8212 posts
1824 upvotes
Ontario
How often do you have to remove and/or replace your HRV drain tube? Because of the trap, and the sitting water, it seems to easily get that pink mold. That's not an issue on its own, but it leads to gunk that clogs the drain tube and did result in a minor leak under the HRV unit (since the condensate had no where to go). Because of the location of the drain, it's not a straight down path, but on an angle down toward the drain (not sure if a straight down path before the trap would prevent this issue?).

New tube was installed end of summer in 2018.

I have no problem removing and clearing blockages, or replacing the tube altogether, just wondering if this is normal (rarely have to think about replacing other drain tubes in the HVAC area).
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2016
13594 posts
1542 upvotes
Out west
onlineharvest wrote:
Feb 20th, 2019 4:30 pm
How often do you have to remove and/or replace your HRV drain tube? Because of the trap, and the sitting water, it seems to easily get that pink mold. That's not an issue on its own, but it leads to gunk that clogs the drain tube and did result in a minor leak under the HRV unit (since the condensate had no where to go). Because of the location of the drain, it's not a straight down path, but on an angle down toward the drain (not sure if a straight down path before the trap would prevent this issue?).

New tube was installed end of summer in 2018.

I have no problem removing and clearing blockages, or replacing the tube altogether, just wondering if this is normal (rarely have to think about replacing other drain tubes in the HVAC area).
Does the tube bend or pinch. I had that issue with my AC drain, since they just installed a clear tube. Over time the tube pinched because of gravity. I put in an L-shaped plastic adapter, so then the hose points straight down. It never plugged agaiin
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8212 posts
1824 upvotes
Ontario
WikkiWikki wrote:
Feb 20th, 2019 4:36 pm
Does the tube bend or pinch. I had that issue with my AC drain, since they just installed a clear tube. Over time the tube pinched because of gravity. I put in an L-shaped plastic adapter, so then the hose points straight down. It never plugged agaiin
No, no pinching, even where it's mounted to the stud. The trap is a clean circle without making a bend in the line as well. It's not straight down though, it's angled down toward the main drain.

The L shaped adapter doesn't clog up I presume?
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2016
13594 posts
1542 upvotes
Out west
onlineharvest wrote:
Feb 20th, 2019 4:53 pm
No, no pinching, even where it's mounted to the stud. The trap is a clean circle without making a bend in the line as well. It's not straight down though, it's angled down toward the main drain.

The L shaped adapter doesn't clog up I presume?
It didnt seem to, it was a random piece i found in my garage "bin of plastic things" Dont ask me where it was from, it just randomly fit.

But I also removed it once a year and cleaned with a small brush as my maintenance yearly list. The old tube also had the pink stuff in it, but cleaning it once a year made it stay away

If you could set something up so you could remove it easily for a cleaning with a quick release clamp, probably wouldnt over flow again. Clean it spring and falll

I used this, I think they are at canadian tire to. The bristles are flexible enough to fit into very tiny tubes, so it was easy enough to clean and either pull out stuff, or loosen it so it flushed away.

https://www.living.ca/en/p-364499-lvc-8 ... BEQAvD_BwE#
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8212 posts
1824 upvotes
Ontario
WikkiWikki wrote:
Feb 20th, 2019 4:59 pm
It didnt seem to, it was a random piece i found in my garage "bin of plastic things" Dont ask me where it was from, it just randomly fit.

But I also removed it once a year and cleaned with a small brush as my maintenance yearly list. The old tube also had the pink stuff in it, but cleaning it once a year made it stay away

If you could set something up so you could remove it easily for a cleaning with a quick release clamp, probably wouldnt over flow again. Clean it spring and falll

I used this, I think they are at canadian tire to. The bristles are flexible enough to fit into very tiny tubes, so it was easy enough to clean and either pull out stuff, or loosen it so it flushed away.

https://www.living.ca/en/p-364499-lvc-8 ... BEQAvD_BwE#
Cool, thanks!

I usually just take the tube to the garage and blow out everything with a hose. But this seems easier. Or just buy a new tube every year. :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)