• Last Updated:
  • Nov 2nd, 2019 3:43 pm
Deal Addict
May 11, 2003
2481 posts
331 upvotes
Bart_ wrote:
Oct 8th, 2019 1:37 pm
Try cleaning your furnace flame sensor. I had to clean mine a few years ago.
Really easy to do, just need a bit of sandpaper.

Here is a DIY link
WikkiWikki wrote:
Oct 8th, 2019 1:41 pm
Do you get flame in the burners. If not, depends on your igniter, it could be gone. If it goes through the stages of it and the igniter is gone. NG wont flow either.

Glow igniters can be replaced yourself and cant be cleaned or repaired. if the filament inside (like an old school lightbuilb) is broken, it wont work.

Also check, the door switch for the furnace fan location. Ive seen those get flaky, and it will let the fan run, but be some odd non connection the furnace wont run. Ive had it happen to me. I could hold the switch down with my thumb, and the furnace ran fine. As soon as I put the door on, the furnace would not fire, but the fan would work
sickcars wrote:
Oct 8th, 2019 1:45 pm
It should of flashed a code when it does not turn on. Count how many flashes and on the front panel (on the inside part of it) there should be info as to what the lights mean. Then you will have a better idea.
Thanks. After some poking around and a lot of YouTube, I figured out that the draft inducer motor wasn't spinning. I hand turned it a bit (and I mean a tiny bit) with the power off and that seems to have done the trick. It works properly now. I'm guessing there was some gunk or corrosion that was blocking it.

Upon further inspection, I noticed that when I hand turn it very slowly I can hear a light clinking noise when it hits a certain spot. When I spin it faster, I don't hear anything. Does it need to be changed now or can I wait a bit?
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9500 posts
1666 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
If its working I would wait. I replaced ours a few years ago it was about $300 for just the part from a HVAC friend & I installed it myself or else it would of been double that likely. Its possible something was possibly blocking it and it will be ok now. Just keep an eye on it. If it gets louder then you may need to replace it.

e-man wrote:
Oct 8th, 2019 3:24 pm
Thanks. After some poking around and a lot of YouTube, I figured out that the draft inducer motor wasn't spinning. I hand turned it a bit (and I mean a tiny bit) with the power off and that seems to have done the trick. It works properly now. I'm guessing there was some gunk or corrosion that was blocking it.

Upon further inspection, I noticed that when I hand turn it very slowly I can hear a light clinking noise when it hits a certain spot. When I spin it faster, I don't hear anything. Does it need to be changed now or can I wait a bit?
0_o
<_<
>_>
Oct 9, 2011
870 posts
374 upvotes
GTA
Mastero wrote:
Oct 8th, 2019 12:16 pm
Did you check your breaker?

Yes I did ,ac and circulation was working fine.
After getting service call ,it is working fine now , technician did some wiggling with wires going to Gas valve .Suggests something may be wrong with gas valve .Gave estimate for 600 bucks for new one -and off he goes . Everything is working normal .
Question is when is the right time to change furnace this old 20+ .This was the second service call in 20 years .
I changed mine at 15 years but I had 3 service calls during the first 3 years, then one call each during the last 3 years. Total spent on that Carrier piece of crap was close to $1500
1 x Zoomer Wireless $40.50 loyalty plan - 5 GB of data!
5 x Freedom Mobile plans
Ecobee 3 Lite courtesy of Green On (ie tax payers)
Apr 6, 2015
112 posts
60 upvotes
SW Ontario
Those of you who have changed or planning to do so ,what are you going with single stage ,dual or modulating ones ?
Are you happy with what you got new ... ? Or you think after using them them that something else would have been better instead .Have couple of contractors coming in today to give estimates . Tx
Found this good video for newbie like me to understand diffrent furnaces
Oct 9, 2011
870 posts
374 upvotes
GTA
Mastero wrote:
Oct 9th, 2019 7:31 am
Those of you who have changed or planning to do so ,what are you going with single stage ,dual or modulating ones ?
Are you happy with what you got new ... ? Or you think after using them them that something else would have been better instead .Have couple of contractors coming in today to give estimates . Tx
Found this good video for newbie like me to understand diffrent furnaces
I went from a 15 yr old single stage builder installed Carrier to a Keeprite 2 stage furnace. Couldn't be happier. The new unit is more efficient, much much quieter and the 2 stage typically runs on the lower fire mode for longer and keeps the house much more evenly balanced temperature wise during the coldest winter nights. When it was -25C out last winter, the low stage would run for about 12 hours and the high fire mode would run perhaps 1.5 hours. Mine is an 80k btu unit in a 4500 sq ft house including basement.

I would imagine the modulating furnace would be even better comfort wise.

However, my furnace guy was telling me to go single stage as when the fancier furnaces break down, they do cost a heck of a lot more money to repair. I had the motor replaced on my old single stage unit replaced for $350. A similar repair on the 2 stage would be closer to $1k.

Whatever you do choose, make sure your thermostat has enough wires (5, better with 6) from the furnace so if you have a smart thermostat like an Ecobee, it can be used to control the staging as opposed to using the furnace to do so. My furnace controls the staging by time, as opposed to a fancy algorithm that "learns" how quickly my house heats up and loses heat in order to adjust the stage 1 - stage 2 back to stage 1 heating. With the Ecobee, it incorporates the outside temp and learns how quickly my house heats and cools and uses their algorithm to determine when to run each of the stages and incorporates reverse staging (ie starting on high mode and switching to low mode).
5 x Freedom Mobile plans
Apr 6, 2015
112 posts
60 upvotes
SW Ontario
So two contractors came with same product - one thru Costco and other one thru Lennox directly . How are these two Lennox SLP 98 Modulating Sig Series 90000 Btu & Elite series AC EL16XC1 3 Ton. Unlike Toronto we don't have much choices here for contractors .
One thru Costco come to 10 K and other one is 11500 ,without govt rebate thing . Any suggestions /advice …?
Oct 9, 2011
870 posts
374 upvotes
GTA
Mastero wrote:
Oct 9th, 2019 3:18 pm
So two contractors came with same product - one thru Costco and other one thru Lennox directly . How are these two Lennox SLP 98 Modulating Sig Series 90000 Btu & Elite series AC EL16XC1 3 Ton. Unlike Toronto we don't have much choices here for contractors .
One thru Costco come to 10 K and other one is 11500 ,without govt rebate thing . Any suggestions /advice …?
Face Screaming In Fear Holy cow! This must be the Lexus of furnaces! This is almost 4x what I paid for my 2 stage Keeprite.

What is the labour warranty on these? Some contractors offer a one year warranty, others five. The 5 year labour warranty is expensive.

Does Costco still have a rebate for installed services? When I was shopping for mine, Costco had up to $1500 rebate and the Lennox the contractor quoted would qualify for a $1k rebate. In the end, I did not go with Costco's contractor.

I believe Lennox requires you to have an annual inspection in order to maintain the warranty and that would be another $100 - $150 out of pocket per year.
5 x Freedom Mobile plans
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9500 posts
1666 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
What area are you in? Maybe its worth contacting some companies around the GTA that may be willing to provide service for you guys and install one at a better price.
Mastero wrote:
Oct 9th, 2019 3:18 pm
0_o
<_<
>_>
Apr 6, 2015
112 posts
60 upvotes
SW Ontario
dpw198 wrote:
Oct 9th, 2019 3:34 pm
Face Screaming In Fear Holy cow! This must be the Lexus of furnaces! This is almost 4x what I paid for my 2 stage Keeprite.

What is the labour warranty on these? Some contractors offer a one year warranty, others five. The 5 year labour warranty is expensive.

Does Costco still have a rebate for installed services? When I was shopping for mine, Costco had up to $1500 rebate and the Lennox the contractor quoted would qualify for a $1k rebate. In the end, I did not go with Costco's contractor.

I believe Lennox requires you to have an annual inspection in order to maintain the warranty and that would be another $100 - $150 out of pocket per year.
10 Years warranty parts and labour (Costco Customer ) 1500 cash card and 2% executive Costco card brings it down to 10 K ,will try checking with some small contractors ,these were big shots . Mine is holding good for now after service call ,so no rush.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
1737 posts
748 upvotes
GTA
Mastero wrote:
Oct 9th, 2019 3:45 pm
10 Years warranty parts and labour (Costco Customer ) 1500 cash card and 2% executive Costco card brings it down to 10 K ,will try checking with some small contractors ,these were big shots . Mine is holding good for now after service call ,so no rush.
You are paying for the brand names and the companies selling them charge huge markups.
Get a local company to quote you on what they sell ie. Keeprite/Weathermaker/Payne/Goodman/American Standard etc and you will save 2-4k at least for similar options you listed.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
1737 posts
748 upvotes
GTA
People on the east coast I got ya here, if you looking to install a heatpump read below.

Funded by the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador and administered by Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro, the program offers a limited number of heat pump rebates to qualified homeowners in Newfoundland and Labrador. Act fast, as these $1,000 rebates for mini-split, multi-split, and central heat pumps are available for a limited time on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Rebates will be issued to qualified homeowners for heat pumps purchased and installed on or after October 15, 2019. Completed application packages must be submitted by March 15, 2020.

Details in link
https://nlhydro.com/customer-service/en ... e-program/
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
4718 posts
829 upvotes
Montreal
Hi ladies and gentlemen,

How are you guys doing? I am happy to have found this specialized HVAC thread on RFD.

I am planning to install into the basement a central AC in a 2-storey detached house that wasn't designed for such a system in suburban Montreal. Average temperature here range from 15C (5F) in January/February and often go back 25C (80F) in the July/August.

The local contractor that dropped by to inspect the house said they carried Trane heatpumps that could work till -21C (-6F) vs Lennox ones that won't go past -12C (10F) before the 100 Amp furnace start kicking in. The detailed quote I just received today had the following 2 quotes with quite some add-ons like Heathy Climate filtration box, wifi thermostat and labour:

1) 16700 CAD before tax with ductwork to be created:
Heatpump series XL16i, model 4TWX6030 - 30000 BTU/h, Snow cap integrated , SEER 17 / HSPF 9.6 - 70 decibels - Disj. 17 to 25 A - Copper 3/4
Electric furnace, series Hyperion, modele TAM9A0B30 - variable ventilation, double layer cabinet (increased insulation and watertightness), Communicante, 1000 PCM

2) 15100 CAD before tax with ductwork to be created:
Heatpump series XR14, model 4TWR1430 - 30000 BTU/h, SEER 14 / HSPF 8.2 - 72 decibels - Disj. 17 à 25 A - Copper 3/4
Electric furnace, series M, model TEM4A0B30 - Motor PSC, 1000 PCM

I think the 1) is a no-brainer but I am almost convinced that the dealer probably didn't carry the right Lennox model past -12C (10F) to offer to me. Has Trane's quality and reliability really dropped in recent years? Is the XR19 with 12 HSPF better suited for the Canadian winter than the XL16i (9.6 HSPF)? Has Lennox solved the supply chain issues? It seemed to me that the local Carrier dealer were only interested in an attic unit with soft air ducts which cool or warm a 2-storey house that much.

Thank you for your thoughts or any input you may have!
Dec 20, 2013
31 posts
1 upvote
MONTR
Hi guys, so I went ahead and got a GMVC97 60k btu (Goodman Modulatin and Variable)
The resukt though is thar the sound level at the return Is really noisy, approx 62 db.
I Was wondering:
The 2 Stage 40000 BTU ( GMEC 96) is rated at 710-1400 CFM. Mine is 820-1400 CFM. Do you know if there would be a big difference in sound level between the 2 units?
On a side note: The return right now is direct. I also read that putting a flexible and insulated return large than 6feet would really make a diff.
The first part about the CFM is my biggest concern right now.
Jun 23, 2019
67 posts
15 upvotes
alexstream wrote:
Oct 20th, 2019 3:12 pm
Hi guys, so I went ahead and got a GMVC97 60k btu (Goodman Modulatin and Variable)
The resukt though is thar the sound level at the return Is really noisy, approx 62 db.
I Was wondering:
The 2 Stage 40000 BTU ( GMEC 96) is rated at 710-1400 CFM. Mine is 820-1400 CFM. Do you know if there would be a big difference in sound level between the 2 units?
On a side note: The return right now is direct. I also read that putting a flexible and insulated return large than 6feet would really make a diff.
The first part about the CFM is my biggest concern right now.
When the furnace was installed did the technician verify the temperate rise? You don't choose CFM based on noise, you choose CFM based on the temperature rise to protect the furnace. The best way to measure temperature rise is using a combustion analyzer to set temp. rise using stack temperature. However most home owners don't own a combustion analyzer so the second best way is measure return air temp and supply temp then minus the numbers to get the temp rise.

https://www.hvacrschool.com/furnace-air ... ture-rise/