Travel

Ask me anything about New York and Manhattan (NYC)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2017 4:27 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
3046 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
souledge wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 10:56 am
Which day do you want to skip the ferry? On day 2, I included two ferries, one for the Hudson River from NJ to NY and one for the East River from Manhattan to Brooklyn.
Please can you do one for no ferries at all? That way I'll have all options an do lay it by ear when we go. Thanks!!
Jun 7, 2009
228 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
Day 1
320 to PABT, A or C to Chambers St or E to World Trade Center

Day 2
320 to PABT, 2 or 3 to Grand Army Plaza or Eastern Parkway to get to Prospect Park
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
3046 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
souledge wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 4:04 pm
Day 1
320 to PABT, A or C to Chambers St or E to World Trade Center

Day 2
320 to PABT, 2 or 3 to Grand Army Plaza or Eastern Parkway to get to Prospect Park
Thanks!

Our daughter will be turning 12 while on the trip. Any suggestions on an experience for her?

Looked around and thought maybe Madame Tussaud's may be good since she's into Michael Jackson. Any other suggestions???
Jun 7, 2009
228 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
cessnabmw wrote:
Aug 6th, 2017 9:16 am
Thanks!

Our daughter will be turning 12 while on the trip. Any suggestions on an experience for her?

Looked around and thought maybe Madame Tussaud's may be good since she's into Michael Jackson. Any other suggestions???
Not sure for kid friendly things...maybe the Brooklyn Children's Museum?
Nov 11, 2011
208 posts
335 upvotes
ROCKWOOD
Can you @souledge or any one else suggest a place to eat lunch around Bryant Park?
I was just reading about free shows that happen on Thursdays with some major musicals partial casts and thought that would be an amazing way to sneak a little Broadway into the day this coming Thursday before we head over to line up for the Late Show taping.
I am looking for something fairly casual, possibly am American Chinese take out like I think I read Souledge suggest in another post. I read there is a cafe right in Bryant Park but then I read mediocre reviews...
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4588 posts
816 upvotes
Markham
alohamom wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 7:30 am
Can you @souledge or any one else suggest a place to eat lunch around Bryant Park?
I was just reading about free shows that happen on Thursdays with some major musicals partial casts and thought that would be an amazing way to sneak a little Broadway into the day this coming Thursday before we head over to line up for the Late Show taping.
I am looking for something fairly casual, possibly am American Chinese take out like I think I read Souledge suggest in another post. I read there is a cafe right in Bryant Park but then I read mediocre reviews...
There's Food Gallery 32 (like a food court) in Korea Town that might fit your requirements. It's around a 10 minute walk.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Food+G ... 2788?hl=en
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
6085 posts
904 upvotes
Mississauga
alohamom wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 7:30 am
Just came e back from my 4th visit to NYC.
UrbanSpace Food Hall is really close to Bryant Park. Has a bunch of food vendors offering a variety of selection.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Jun 7, 2009
228 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
https://www.google.ca/maps/search/chine ... !4b1?hl=en

I just did a google search around the area.

Tips for authentic Chinese Takeout? (Not the mainstream Panda Express / Manchu Wok / etc.) If you go into a place and it has a menu with laminated pictures backlit with flourescent light, like in the below link, then you're in an authentic NYC chinese takeout place, 99 times out of 100.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Weng's ... 4114?hl=en

Ah.....Chinese food for the Americans....was my first meal this past weekend back in NYC. $8 US incl tip for a Lunch Special, delivered to my door. Just can't get that in Toronto.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2007
3662 posts
176 upvotes
Any advice on tickets for Broadway shows? Looking online but think I may be SOL for Hamilton tickets... can't believe it's sold out for months, except the premium tickets ($800!). TKTS is an option but prefer to buy before getting there. Aiming for The Book of Mormon.
Proud member of SENS Army
Jun 7, 2009
228 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
Hamilton? Good luck lol. Daily Hamilton Ticket lottery?

TodayTix app.
Jan 8, 2012
340 posts
100 upvotes
Williams Lake
My last trip to NY I didn't have a sim card--so at the appointed time every day I was forced to find a Starbucks to see if I'd won the lottery.

lol

If you can get ticket to the BoM, do so. It's incredibly vulgar, and very very funny.
Nov 11, 2011
208 posts
335 upvotes
ROCKWOOD
I have a walk through Grand Central Station on my list of things to do (maybe cheesey but it just seems so iconic to me) and I see there is a food court there and it is close-ish to Bryant Park where we want to go Thursday for the free show as I had posted. What do you guys think of that. I am trying to be as conservative with time as possible as we only have a few days. I liked @Raggie s suggestion of the Urban Space food hall because my teen son is kind of a picky eater and that gives him tons of options so I am thinking the food court might be similar. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Do I stay far away from here or is it a viable option? Just want to be prepared, thanks folks....
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
6085 posts
904 upvotes
Mississauga
alohamom wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 7:24 am
I have a walk through Grand Central Station on my list of things to do (maybe cheesey but it just seems so iconic to me) and I see there is a food court there and it is close-ish to Bryant Park where we want to go Thursday for the free show as I had posted. What do you guys think of that. I am trying to be as conservative with time as possible as we only have a few days. I liked @Raggie s suggestion of the Urban Space food hall because my teen son is kind of a picky eater and that gives him tons of options so I am thinking the food court might be similar. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Do I stay far away from here or is it a viable option? Just want to be prepared, thanks folks....
I didn't think the options offered in Grand Central was that great. There is a shake shack inside, altho very busy. There is a market inside similar to St. Lawrence market, but smaller.

The pizza in Urban Space is supposed to be quite good. The seafood botth was great.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.