Travel

Ask me anything about New York and Manhattan (NYC)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2017 4:27 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 11, 2011
208 posts
335 upvotes
ROCKWOOD
@Raggie thanks so much for the quick response! That was my suspicion but I am glad you confirmed it, thank you.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
4308 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
Created my own thread but didn't realize this already existed. Here are my questions:

Going to New York and these are the following places I have planned to check out:
- Central Park
- haircut in Harlem
- ground zero
- trump plaza
- times square
-double decker bus tour
- empire state building
- take subway to wherever
- wall street
- museums
-columbia university
- grand central terminal
- rockefeller center

Now I probably won't be able to do all this, so I'm wondering if you know other lesser known gems of New York (Manhattan is where we'll be) that we could do? Just in case if I'm around the area, I'll be aware of these spots/activities.
For instance, for Toronto a popular tourist place you'd suggest is CN Tower, but a lesser known spot to suggest may be Kensington market, Trinity Bellwoods Park, Ashbridges Bay, Distillery District, etc.

I'm looking for those lesser known spots that for the most part a resident of the city would know or someone who's experienced them before.

Also "must try" restaurants, coffee spots, ice cream?

Thanks friends!
Last edited by glover78 on Aug 9th, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
4308 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
Also are any of you aware of ATMS or banks that don't charge a fee for making cash withdrawals from your credit card? Thinking of just pulling money out from my Chase Amazon Visa card.
Jun 7, 2009
228 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
glover78 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 6:05 pm
Also are any of you aware of ATMS or banks that don't charge a fee for making cash withdrawals from your credit card? Thinking of just pulling money out from my Chase Amazon Visa card.
Ooh, that's a tough one. I've only seen one ATM like that and that was in Queens.

If you're a Scotia / Tangerine customer: Bank of America / http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,8093,00.html
If you're a TD customer, TD Bank.
If you're a BMO customer, BMO Harris, but there are none in NYC.

Otherwise, I would say, get your USD before you cross the border.
Last edited by souledge on Aug 9th, 2017 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jun 7, 2009
228 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
glover78 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 5:55 pm
Created my own thread but didn't realize this already existed. Here are my questions:

Going to New York and these are the following places I have planned to check out:
- Central Park
- haircut in Harlem
- ground zero
- trump plaza
- times square
-double decker bus tour
- empire state building
- take subway to wherever
- wall street
- museums
-columbia university
- grand central terminal
- rockefeller center

Now I probably won't be able to do all this, so I'm wondering if you know other lesser known gems of New York (Manhattan is where we'll be) that we could do? Just in case if I'm around the area, I'll be aware of these spots/activities.
For instance, for Toronto a popular tourist place you'd suggest is CN Tower, but a lesser known spot to suggest may be Kensington market, Trinity Bellwoods Park, Ashbridges Bay, Distillery District, etc.

I'm looking for those lesser known spots that for the most part a resident of the city would know or someone who's experienced them before.

Also "must try" restaurants, coffee spots, ice cream?

Thanks friends!
The best lesser known parts? 3 out of the other 4 boroughs. I exclude Staten Island because it's just too residential for a tourist.

In Manhattan:
Flatiron District / Madison Square Eats
Chelsea Market
West Side Highway down to Battery Park
SoHo (NoHo too, but not as much there)
Chinatown / Little Italy
Harlem / Spanish Harlem (not really touristy, but a lot of character)
Hell, just walk down Broadway from Central Park all the way down to the Staten Island Ferry.

NYC has many Adelaide Eats type places in the summer time, two of which are Broadway Eats on Broadway between 42nd and 34th and Madison Square Eats at Madison Square Park on 23rd and Broadway / 5th Ave. Some of them serve dessert as well.

If you like ice cream with Asian flavours, Chinatown Ice Cream Factory is pretty good.

Coffee......hmmm, Financier? There's one around Wall St, but there's plenty of good coffee / espresso places, really a random one will probably be very good.

Restaurants: What kind of food, and how broke do you want to be after?
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
4308 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
souledge wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 6:13 pm
The best lesser known parts? 3 out of the other 4 boroughs. I exclude Staten Island because it's just too residential for a tourist.

In Manhattan:
Flatiron District / Madison Square Eats
Chelsea Market
West Side Highway down to Battery Park
SoHo (NoHo too, but not as much there)
Chinatown / Little Italy
Harlem / Spanish Harlem (not really touristy, but a lot of character)
Hell, just walk down Broadway from Central Park all the way down to the Staten Island Ferry.

NYC has many Adelaide Eats type places in the summer time, two of which are Broadway Eats on Broadway between 42nd and 34th and Madison Square Eats at Madison Square Park on 23rd and Broadway / 5th Ave. Some of them serve dessert as well.

If you like ice cream with Asian flavours, Chinatown Ice Cream Factory is pretty good.

Coffee......hmmm, Financier? There's one around Wall St, but there's plenty of good coffee / espresso places, really a random one will probably be very good.

Restaurants: What kind of food, and how broke do you want to be after?
Wow thank for these

Well basically want to get food that can't be found in Toronto ie New York Pizza, Cheesecake factory, Chinese Ice Cream factory. Won't be eating at McDonalds, Dominos, Pizza Hut or any other restaurant that can be found up here. Don't want to destroy my bank account, but maybe one night we'll eat at a good restaurant.

Also a good breakfast spot with pancakes, waffles, bacon would be a great recommendation if you're aware of any.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
4308 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
Ok will possibly swing by a currency shop tomorrow.
Jun 7, 2009
228 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
glover78 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 6:31 pm
Wow thank for these

Well basically want to get food that can't be found in Toronto ie New York Pizza, Cheesecake factory, Chinese Ice Cream factory. Won't be eating at McDonalds, Dominos, Pizza Hut or any other restaurant that can be found up here. Don't want to destroy my bank account, but maybe one night we'll eat at a good restaurant.

Also a good breakfast spot with pancakes, waffles, bacon would be a great recommendation if you're aware of any.
If you want true NY Pizza, avoid Dollar Slice places, as well as Lombardi's, Grimaldi's and Juliana. Those, while good, represent / resemble the original form of Pizza when it came to NY, Neapolitan pizza. Much closer to Italian pizza than what you would consider American or NY pizza.

Dollar Slice pizzas are just the cheap versions of NY pizza, with less sauce and cheese, hence not recommended.

NY pizza, technically Neapolitan American, has a couple of famous places, but they're just far away from Manhattan. Within Manhattan, you can go to Famiglia's chain, but it's nothing special, just above average NY pizza. Lombardi's is probably your best option for good pizza, but it's not what you picture when you think of NY pizza. EDIT: Can also try Joe's Pizza on Carmine St or John's of Bleecker St.

Cheesecake Factory......I don't think you'll find any in Manhattan. Best not to eat at a chain if you can avoid it.

What's the total bill incl 15-20% tip for what you want to spend on a good meal and how many people on that bill?

Hmm....there are many Brunch places in Manhattan, any highly rated Yelp one around your hotel will suffice.
Jul 20, 2012
492 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
Take the subway to Coney Island. Grab a Nathan's dog, go on The Wonder Wheel, and The Cyclone.
Junior's Cheesecake is in Brooklyn and close to Times Square. The Cake Boss has a shop by the bus station. For bagels we went to Brooklyn Bagel.
One other thing, there's TD banks everywhere in Manhattan.
Jun 7, 2009
228 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
Brian71 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 8:59 pm
Take the subway to Coney Island. Grab a Nathan's dog, go on The Wonder Wheel, and The Cyclone.
Please do everything EXCEPT grab a Nathan's dog from Coney Island.

PROTIP - All Nathan's dogs around the city taste the same.

The Coney Island location is the only one that doesn't do meals / combos. You have to buy everything individually, and that location charges the "sort of the original location, but not really" premium.
Jun 7, 2009
228 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
cessnabmw wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 9:24 pm
So what are the best pizza spots? Di Fara? Lombardi's?
Di Fara's if you can squeeze it in your Brooklyn day. I mentioned a few posts up why I wouldn't go to or recommend people looking for NY pizza to go to Lombardi's, Grimaldi's or Juliana's.

In Manhattan, Joe's Pizza on Carmine St or John's of Bleecker St are all downtown, in the West Village.

Of course you can have different views of Neapolitan vs. NY pizza that I do. In that case, Lombardi's, Grimaldi's and Juliana's is fine.

One of my Toronto buds came down to visit once and invited me to lunch with him at Lombardi's. When they brought the pie out, my first reaction was "WTF is this?"
Jul 20, 2012
492 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
souledge wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 4:50 pm
Please do everything EXCEPT grab a Nathan's dog from Coney Island.

PROTIP - All Nathan's dogs around the city taste the same.

The Coney Island location is the only one that doesn't do meals / combos. You have to buy everything individually, and that location charges the "sort of the original location, but not really" premium.
We both had a chili dog then went on the wonder wheel. BIG MISTAKE. Granted the hot dog was meh but as tourists we did the touristy things.
Jun 7, 2009
228 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
Brian71 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 9:08 pm
We both had a chili dog then went on the wonder wheel. BIG MISTAKE. Granted the hot dog was meh but as tourists we did the touristy things.
LOL. Good man, you're a trooper for doing Nathan's + wheel.