Travel

Ask me anything about New York and Manhattan (NYC)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2017 4:27 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
1296 posts
248 upvotes
Toronto
I overheard people talking a lot about the various Tea Rooms in New York. I never really understood the concept or allure of the Russian Tea room. I understand it's quite posh and pricey, but isn't it just an expensive restaurant?
Jun 7, 2009
228 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
blindemboss wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 11:06 pm
I overheard people talking a lot about the various Tea Rooms in New York. I never really understood the concept or allure of the Russian Tea room. I understand it's quite posh and pricey, but isn't it just an expensive restaurant?
Pretty much, but it does have its allure.

I have never partaken, I suspect it's mainly a Manhattanite thing.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
4307 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
Hey guys, thanks for the tips and information.

My friends and I got back this morning and we all had a good time. Surprisingly I ended up doing almost everything on my list and then some.
I loved the energy of Times Square, I actually got a bit emotional at Ground Zero, was completely blown away by the 360 view from the One World Trade Center, even the pizza near my hotel was one of the best I've ever had in my life lol

Did tons of walking.

Looking forward to going back again. And when I do, I can now focus more on the hidden gems since I got majority of the touristy stuff out of the way.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2006
2135 posts
633 upvotes
Toronto
glover78 wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 10:14 pm
Hey guys, thanks for the tips and information.

My friends and I got back this morning and we all had a good time. Surprisingly I ended up doing almost everything on my list and then some.
I loved the energy of Times Square, I actually got a bit emotional at Ground Zero, was completely blown away by the 360 view from the One World Trade Center, even the pizza near my hotel was one of the best I've ever had in my life lol

Did tons of walking.

Looking forward to going back again. And when I do, I can now focus more on the hidden gems since I got majority of the touristy stuff out of the way.
How did you get down there?

Fly/drive/bus?

What's the cheapest return flight from YYZ go for nowadays?

Thinking of going in October.
Jan 4, 2007
256 posts
58 upvotes
Vancouver
souledge wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 6:13 pm

If you like ice cream with Asian flavours, Chinatown Ice Cream Factory is pretty good.
+2
Jan 4, 2007
256 posts
58 upvotes
Vancouver
mself084 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 1:13 pm
Any advice on tickets for Broadway shows? Looking online but think I may be SOL for Hamilton tickets... can't believe it's sold out for months, except the premium tickets ($800!). TKTS is an option but prefer to buy before getting there. Aiming for The Book of Mormon.
Forget Hamilton. Too overpriced. Even the play Dear Evan Hansen is pricey too due to it winning Tony award best Broadway play earlier this year.
I'll be doing Book of Mormon and John Leguizamo's Latin History for Morons.
Sep 30, 2001
26410 posts
5434 upvotes
Toronto
mself084 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 1:13 pm
Any advice on tickets for Broadway shows? Looking online but think I may be SOL for Hamilton tickets... can't believe it's sold out for months, except the premium tickets ($800!). TKTS is an option but prefer to buy before getting there. Aiming for The Book of Mormon.
Hamilton was fantastic! If you can get tickets get them (or just wait for the Toronto show to pop up sometime in 2019).

Book of Mormon was funny. Wasn't a fan of Wicked, and there's the old standbys - Phantom of the Opera and Les Mis. Come From Away also has great reviews (based on true story of flights being diverted to Atlantic Canada during 9/11)
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1285 posts
260 upvotes
Toronto
One way to get to Manhattan if you don't want to drive there:

1. Drive to Staten Island(15usd)
2. Park your car at the Ferry parking lot($8) or free on side streets nearby
3. Take the free ferry(free) which takes you to the lower Manhattan and the views of the city are very good too.
Dmitri Markine Wedding Photography: My 500pix||My Flickr||My Pinterest||My Instagram
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
4307 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
chadw01 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 10:23 pm
How did you get down there?

Fly/drive/bus?

What's the cheapest return flight from YYZ go for nowadays?

Thinking of going in October.
We took a bus.

I'm thinking driving would be cheaper especially if there's a bunch of you going to split gas, but driving around Manhattan will be a nightmare. Wanted to drive there, but just park the car somewhere and then walk/subway it to places.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2007
3662 posts
176 upvotes
I'm back! In-laws are taking our son and we're off to NYC Oct 20-22.

We're flying into EWR, so I have questions for the experts (I've been to NYC twice but am far from an expert/haven't flown into EWR before):

- What's the train like from EWR into Penn station? Any tips, or is it as easy as airport train to train station, train station to NYC Penn?
Proud member of SENS Army
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
2299 posts
1047 upvotes
Vancouver
My wife and I will be spending Christmas in New York this year, where are the best places to see Christmas decorations and recommendations for Christmas Day brunch (high-end)? Thanks!
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4588 posts
816 upvotes
Markham
mself084 wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 9:05 am
I'm back! In-laws are taking our son and we're off to NYC Oct 20-22.

We're flying into EWR, so I have questions for the experts (I've been to NYC twice but am far from an expert/haven't flown into EWR before):

- What's the train like from EWR into Penn station? Any tips, or is it as easy as airport train to train station, train station to NYC Penn?
Train into NYC Penn Station from EWR airport was painless and easy. Will never fly into LaGuardia again after this if I have a choice.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Jun 7, 2009
228 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2017 10:54 am
Train into NYC Penn Station from EWR airport was painless and easy. Will never fly into LaGuardia again after this if I have a choice.
Always recommend EWR or JFK for this reason alone.

LGA only if the deal is great. HPN / ISP only if someone is paying you to fly.
Mar 30, 2017
32 posts
4 upvotes
Looking to getting Lion King tickets for end of April/beginning of May. Where to look for best deals on tickets?
May look into Book of Mormon or wicked too.

Also, can one get Saturday Night Live tickets?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

vlad353