Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Ask me anything about selling and shipping for your online business!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2019 12:55 pm
[OP]
Mar 23, 2010
75 posts
15 upvotes
Markham

Ask me anything about selling and shipping for your online business!

Hello!

I have 10+ years of experience selling online. ask me anything regarding selling and shipping! I will try my best to answer your question!
https://www.emarketplaceservices.com
Supports Amazon, eBay, Etsy, Shopify, BigCommerce, X-Cart, 3dcart, opencart, Magento, Prestashop, WooCommerce
Supports EShipper, CanadaPost, EasyPost, ChitChats, Stallion Express
Connect your channel and carrier, ship all your orders from one place!
48 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1888 posts
231 upvotes
Toronto
@diygadget
Thanks for the thread

1) What do you recommend for a first time website builder. WordPress or SquareSpace
2) What is the cheapest method of shipping within Canada which doesn't exceed a pound?
3) Carriers such as ChitChat express, require you to either drop off your packages, or get them picked up. Is there an option to drop them off at a mailbox similar to Canada Post?
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2001 posts
993 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I am looking to sell a product that weighs 25 gms, and 1.5x2x6 inches. The cheapest shipping option I could find was Canada Post, around $8.5 or so last I checked. For me, the business doesn't make sense if it's more than $5 so I never pursued it.

Is there anything cheaper? If not, let us say, I eat the losses during the first year, which I can easily do. But how many do I need to eventually sell/month to get the shipping down to $5/package, if that's possible with volume.
[OP]
Mar 23, 2010
75 posts
15 upvotes
Markham
@realg123:

1: depends your computer skills. If you are a first time website builder I would say go with SquareSpace, it has less options, so it is simpler than wordpress/woocommerce. My suggestion is, no matter how good or how bad your computer skills, focus on the business part, after all, building the site is not your goal, so if managing a site is taking you too much time, then you need to think about it and change your plan.

2: As I said in another thread, there is no single carrier has cheapest price for all destinations in Canada. You will have to shop around. For less than a pound, if you are in GTA, try Stallion Express (resells Canpar/Landmark) and Chitchats (resells Canada Post I think) , then eShipper (resells UPS/Fedex/DHL/Purolator/DHL etc) and Canada post, they may have good rate for some locations. Worst is directly go to UPS/Fedex/UPS/DHLs retail price.

3. For Chitchats, you will have to drop off at either own location or drop off location. Similar to Stallion Express. The reason is, the contract they have with the carriers (Canada Post/CanPar etc), do not allow them to resell, so they usually reprint the "real" label on your package after you drop them off. However, eshipper is different, let's see you printed a UPS label from eshipper, you can drop it off at any UPS drop off location.

realg123 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2019 10:25 am
@diygadget
Thanks for the thread

1) What do you recommend for a first time website builder. WordPress or SquareSpace
2) What is the cheapest method of shipping within Canada which doesn't exceed a pound?
3) Carriers such as ChitChat express, require you to either drop off your packages, or get them picked up. Is there an option to drop them off at a mailbox similar to Canada Post?
Supports Amazon, eBay, Etsy, Shopify, BigCommerce, X-Cart, 3dcart, opencart, Magento, Prestashop, WooCommerce
[OP]
Mar 23, 2010
75 posts
15 upvotes
Markham
Unfortunately, in Canada, it is almost impossible to get your shipping down to $5 per package. They don't care if it is 25 grams or 1lb, the package still need to go trough the whole process.
Do you think you will have customers in USA? if yes, then you have a better chance. for this size and weight, you can get it shipped to anywhere in USA for under $5 CAD and tracked. (first class envelope)
Remember, USA has 10 times more population than Canada. If you can sell to USA, I would say try it.
canoek wrote:
Jun 14th, 2019 12:26 pm
I am looking to sell a product that weighs 25 gms, and 1.5x2x6 inches. The cheapest shipping option I could find was Canada Post, around $8.5 or so last I checked. For me, the business doesn't make sense if it's more than $5 so I never pursued it.

Is there anything cheaper? If not, let us say, I eat the losses during the first year, which I can easily do. But how many do I need to eventually sell/month to get the shipping down to $5/package, if that's possible with volume.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2001 posts
993 upvotes
Toronto, ON
diygadget wrote:
Jun 14th, 2019 9:16 pm
Unfortunately, in Canada, it is almost impossible to get your shipping down to $5 per package. They don't care if it is 25 grams or 1lb, the package still need to go trough the whole process.
Do you think you will have customers in USA? if yes, then you have a better chance. for this size and weight, you can get it shipped to anywhere in USA for under $5 CAD and tracked. (first class envelope)
Remember, USA has 10 times more population than Canada. If you can sell to USA, I would say try it.
Thank you. What's lowest you think I can realistically get in Canada? I aim to sell it in the US too.
[OP]
Mar 23, 2010
75 posts
15 upvotes
Markham
canoek wrote:
Jun 16th, 2019 3:56 pm
Thank you. What's lowest you think I can realistically get in Canada? I aim to sell it in the US too.
Depends on where it goes, if you have 100+ pieces per day, cheapest to GTA from GTA can be obtained for ~7
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2001 posts
993 upvotes
Toronto, ON
diygadget wrote:
Jun 18th, 2019 2:33 pm
Depends on where it goes, if you have 100+ pieces per day, cheapest to GTA from GTA can be obtained for ~7
My most optimistic estimate puts GTA delivers at 100/month. So looks like my idea is already DOA!
[OP]
Mar 23, 2010
75 posts
15 upvotes
Markham
canoek wrote:
Jun 18th, 2019 3:22 pm
My most optimistic estimate puts GTA delivers at 100/month. So looks like my idea is already DOA!
Don't give up..... USA has a bigger market!
Sep 27, 2010
149 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
Do you have experience with the Print on Demand industry? I am wondering how taxes would work for something like that.
Dec 5, 2009
45 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Could you please recommend some resources or courses or even if I can pm you for guidance about online retailing and reseller of goods? I'm thinking of sites like wayfair and how to contact big brands to resell their products. Thanks ahead.
[OP]
Mar 23, 2010
75 posts
15 upvotes
Markham
ghuraba wrote:
Jun 19th, 2019 9:03 am
Do you have experience with the Print on Demand industry? I am wondering how taxes would work for something like that.
Sorry I don't have experience with this. :-)
[OP]
Mar 23, 2010
75 posts
15 upvotes
Markham
rolo512 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2019 10:00 am
Could you please recommend some resources or courses or even if I can pm you for guidance about online retailing and reseller of goods? I'm thinking of sites like wayfair and how to contact big brands to resell their products. Thanks ahead.
I am not aware of any resources or courses. It's hard to start now, as some of the manufactures are trying to sell on their own now. If you don't have volume, then you have no advantage at all. PM me if you'd like.
Nov 23, 2010
262 posts
53 upvotes
Montreal
diygadget wrote:
Jun 14th, 2019 9:16 pm

This is depend on your order size, if you can run a business with over 2500-3000 orders per day, then you are able to have negotiation power with Canada post ! So it's not impossible!
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2001 posts
993 upvotes
Toronto, ON
nobodylulukkkk wrote:
Jul 5th, 2019 4:21 pm
This is depend on your order size, if you can run a business with over 2500-3000 orders per day, then you are able to have negotiation power with Canada post ! So it's not impossible!
There can't be more than 10 businesses in whole of Canada with that sort of volume.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

jmbenning