Automotive

Ask Me Anything About Your Traffic Ticket.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2012 8:44 am
Tags:
None
Jan 27, 2010
238 posts
23 upvotes

Ask Me Anything About Your Traffic Ticket.

Hello everyone, I've read these boards quite a bit and have received a lot of help. I though I would give something back, so if anyone has any questions about a traffic ticket I will do my best to help.

The answers given are for information purposes only and do not constitute legal advice.
1007 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1777 upvotes
ticketfighter wrote:
Jan 28th, 2010 9:36 pm
Hello everyone, I've read these boards quite a bit and have received a lot of help. I though I would give something back, so if anyone has any questions about a traffic ticket I will do my best to help.

I am a licensed paralegal in the GTA and have been helping people for over 10 years, so ask away.
great! why do not you start from replying to posts in last few days?
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
2917 posts
2293 upvotes
Toronto
Hi,

I'm planning on representing my wife at trial. She would rather not appear in court and we have a baby she needs to feed regularly and I don't think the JP will appreciate having a crying baby in their court. Do I just need a signed letter saying that I'm acting as her agent? Does it need to be notarized?

Obviously, I can only ask questions of the cop and can't provide testimony/answer questions on her behalf, right?

Thanks!
[OP]
Jan 27, 2010
238 posts
23 upvotes
jm1 wrote:
Jan 29th, 2010 1:12 pm
Hi,

I'm planning on representing my wife at trial. She would rather not appear in court and we have a baby she needs to feed regularly and I don't think the JP will appreciate having a crying baby in their court. Do I just need a signed letter saying that I'm acting as her agent? Does it need to be notarized?

Obviously, I can only ask questions of the cop and can't provide testimony/answer questions on her behalf, right?

Thanks!
You can represent her with her instruction to do so. You cannot tell the court what she has told you about the incident. You can question the officer and make arguments.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1777 upvotes
1. can I use my 15 year old son as a witness? I doubt but wanted to make sure
2. I know I was speeding but not as much as the officer wrote on the ticket. if I manage to convince JP that the speed was exaggerated, will I win the case or I can still be convicted for speeding but with lower speed?
[OP]
Jan 27, 2010
238 posts
23 upvotes
vero95 wrote:
Jan 29th, 2010 1:32 pm
1. can I use my 15 year old son as a witness? I doubt but wanted to make sure
2. I know I was speeding but not as much as the officer wrote on the ticket. if I manage to convince JP that the speed was exaggerated, will I win the case or I can still be convicted for speeding but with lower speed?
You could use your son, but to what end? To give his 15 year old opinion of how fast you were going? Did he lean over to look at your speedo the moment the office got the reading? Even if he did, how reliable is your speedo vs. the radar or laser that was tested and working properly?

As for item 2: the offence is speeding. Once you admit to it, you will be found guilty. The remaining issue is quantum. Your best guess, supported by your speedometer vs the speed measuring device.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1777 upvotes
ticketfighter wrote:
Jan 29th, 2010 2:54 pm
You could use your son, but to what end? To give his 15 year old opinion of how fast you were going? Did he lean over to look at your speedo the moment the office got the reading? Even if he did, how reliable is your speedo vs. the radar or laser that was tested and working properly?

As for item 2: the offence is speeding. Once you admit to it, you will be found guilty. The remaining issue is quantum. Your best guess, supported by your speedometer vs the speed measuring device.
I do not have intention to use him in court. just curious. he was the first one to see cop's car in front of us when we reached the top of the hill though
there is lots of assumptions in your reply. a) a radar was used b) it was tested and working properly c) the speed was the real radar's reading

I will ask for disclosure to get more details on that

btw, is radar on all the time in cops cars? in both directions: forward and backward or it requires a switch?

regarding point c) I was once charged in Quebec with speeding X+10kmh after the cop showed me the radar gun with speed Xkmh. later when I asked why, he said he thought I was driving faster than the radar reading

I belive that happens quite often when you are out of town and a cop thinks you will not bother fighting the ticket
[OP]
Jan 27, 2010
238 posts
23 upvotes
vero95 wrote:
Jan 29th, 2010 3:37 pm
I do not have intention to use him in court. just curious. he was the first one to see cop's car in front of us when we reached the top of the hill though
there is lots of assumptions in your reply. a) a radar was used b) it was tested and working properly c) the speed was the real radar's reading

I will ask for disclosure to get more details on that

btw, is radar on all the time in cops cars? in both directions: forward and backward or it requires a switch?

regarding point c) I was once charged in Quebec with speeding X+10kmh after the cop showed me the radar gun with speed Xkmh. later when I asked why, he said he thought I was driving faster than the radar reading

I belive that happens quite often when you are out of town and a cop thinks you will not bother fighting the ticket
Given the limited info you provided on the circumstances, I assumed it was a speed measuring device. If he was stationary it was.
Mar 14, 2008
449 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
Hi, I just got 2 tickets this morning

1. My passenger headlight was out.
2. Driving with expired insurance (I have insurance but the new card wasn't in the glove box)

I didn't look at the amount that I have to pay. I just put the 2 tickets on my passenger seat and headed to the subway.

I was going to go see the JP and show him my insurance and service receipt for changing the bulb. Is it possible that I wont have to pay the fines?

What do you think i should do?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2005
5856 posts
100 upvotes
i got a ticket for something i didn't do... long story short, in the notes, the cops noted a RED car instead of BLUE.

Could I just use this point to win the case? or could he turn his story around and claim he wrote down the wrong colour of the car.

or could he say, I wrote down it was a blue car, but the typed notes provided was incorrectly typed as red?

Thanks
--
[OP]
Jan 27, 2010
238 posts
23 upvotes
moommen wrote:
Jan 29th, 2010 4:33 pm
Hi, I just got 2 tickets this morning

1. My passenger headlight was out.
2. Driving with expired insurance (I have insurance but the new card wasn't in the glove box)

I didn't look at the amount that I have to pay. I just put the 2 tickets on my passenger seat and headed to the subway.

I was going to go see the JP and show him my insurance and service receipt for changing the bulb. Is it possible that I wont have to pay the fines?

What do you think i should do?
Option 2 appears to be what you are talking about. The Justice of the Peace cannot provide any relief to you apart from a fine reduction. This is not guaranteed of course, although somewhat likely. You would end up with two convictions on your record if you went that route.
[OP]
Jan 27, 2010
238 posts
23 upvotes
Tomy wrote:
Jan 29th, 2010 4:43 pm
i got a ticket for something i didn't do... long story short, in the notes, the cops noted a RED car instead of BLUE.

Could I just use this point to win the case? or could he turn his story around and claim he wrote down the wrong colour of the car.

or could he say, I wrote down it was a blue car, but the typed notes provided was incorrectly typed as red?

Thanks
I think you shortened the story a little too much. Did you commit the offence but the allegation appears to be in the wrong colored car? Or were you driving innocently along and the officer has made the whole thing up?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1777 upvotes
ticketfighter wrote:
Jan 29th, 2010 8:36 pm
Option 2 appears to be what you are talking about. The Justice of the Peace cannot provide any relief to you apart from a fine reduction. This is not guaranteed of course, although somewhat likely. You would end up with two convictions on your record if you went that route.
I read on this forum that for offences like that the charges could be dropped when you show up in court and show the insurance
not sure about the bulb
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
ticketfighter wrote:
Jan 29th, 2010 8:38 pm
Or were you driving innocently along and the officer has made the whole thing up?
I'm sure it was that one. Yep. 100%. Did he mention his wife...Morgan Fairchild? Yeah, that's the ticket. Image
× < >