Home & Garden

Ask me question about Kitchen&Bath counter top

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2017 7:23 pm
Dec 15, 2013
152 posts
29 upvotes
TORONTO
What do you think of IKEA's prices for quartz? Are they considered competitive?
Dec 15, 2013
152 posts
29 upvotes
TORONTO
If I have an L-shaped countertop (with a sink on one side of the L) and it is too big to be cut from one single slab, what is the way to hide the seam? Should I ask for a diagonal seam at the corner?
[OP]
Nov 26, 2014
488 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto, ON
davidwsw wrote:
Jan 12th, 2017 2:52 pm
What do you think of IKEA's prices for quartz? Are they considered competitive?
They actually "buy" from us fabricators, then resell to customers. And they take their commission to pay for their cost.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2014
488 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto, ON
davidwsw wrote:
Jan 12th, 2017 2:55 pm
If I have an L-shaped countertop (with a sink on one side of the L) and it is too big to be cut from one single slab, what is the way to hide the seam? Should I ask for a diagonal seam at the corner?
Straight seam is better usually. But I can not give you an answer without seeing it. (Layout and size)
[OP]
Nov 26, 2014
488 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kwasley wrote:
Jan 12th, 2017 3:31 pm
i installed 4023 and it looks great.
Congrats. You meant TCE 4023? Yeah it looks even closer to granite.
Banned
Feb 28, 2016
5 posts
Ludlow US
What will be the estimated cost for replacing tiles in my kitchen, which is approximately 72 sq. ft.? Can you give me a rough figure here?
[OP]
Nov 26, 2014
488 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto, ON
xavierlucas wrote:
Jan 13th, 2017 1:27 am
What will be the estimated cost for replacing tiles in my kitchen, which is approximately 72 sq. ft.? Can you give me a rough figure here?
You want to replace tiles for your countertop?
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1682 posts
332 upvotes
Windsor
Hope you might be able to provide some input: my bathroom is one of those typical "teal" bathrooms from the 70s; teal tub, tile edge, toilet, sink edges, and accent stuff like toilet roll holders, soap, etc.

I don't want to gut the bathroom, because I pretty much like the color, minus the fact that there is just too much of it.

Why doesn't anyone do wood countertops? They're silly cheap, and you can seal them so they'll never be touched by a drop of water, for peanuts. I see this pretty often in bar bathrooms (where they care how nice it looks), just wondering if you know why mere mortals don't do it. Or, maybe, it's just different styles? I love the look of "natural" wood, and this bathroom is almost devoid of exposed wood.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Jun 21, 2004
279 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
I'm looking for someone to tile my tub surround (my tub is undermount and I have the same tile running from the floor and the side of the tub)

The tiles are 12x24" honed marble and basically I would need someone to cut them to fit around the shape of my tub, finish the exposed edges and lay them on.

It is not a simple rectangle or oval tub (has a few turns and curves) but overall the perimeter is not very wide, ranging from 2" at the narrowest to 4-5" at the widest point. Very little actual material needed. I considered getting a full slab but it seems nobody wants to do marble with such a giant opening (too risky) -- plus I prefer the thinner tiles anyway.

Who should I be calling for someone like this? Pretty small / niche job.
Images
  • E7975969-1F8E-4687-9AE5-351064881AED.jpg
[OP]
Nov 26, 2014
488 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto, ON
You need 2 pieces on the top I think or even 4pieces. It seems you don't need a lot of mertatial, however since its curve you do need to cut from a big piece.