Home & Garden

Ask me question about Kitchen&Bath counter top

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2017 4:06 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2004
4454 posts
455 upvotes
I'm in Winnipeg and looking for a piece 90"x18" to put on a half wall that separates my recroom so I can put barstools there. I first looked at Ikea and saw it was around $100/sqft, and thought since Ikea is cheap, this is about as cheap as it gets. THen I started looking at Kijiji to see what was available and I see multiple companies selling for $50ish/sqft. Is this a standard price? Should I have any concerns? Or granite/quartz find something you like and it should be good to go?
[OP]
Nov 26, 2014
448 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto, ON
baz5 wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2017 8:54 pm
I'm in Winnipeg and looking for a piece 90"x18" to put on a half wall that separates my recroom so I can put barstools there. I first looked at Ikea and saw it was around $100/sqft, and thought since Ikea is cheap, this is about as cheap as it gets. THen I started looking at Kijiji to see what was available and I see multiple companies selling for $50ish/sqft. Is this a standard price? Should I have any concerns? Or granite/quartz find something you like and it should be good to go?
Winnipeg market probably more expensive than GTA
[OP]
Nov 26, 2014
448 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto, ON
satin1410 wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2017 11:52 am
Hi,

Thanks for starting this thread...Looking to install Quartz countertop (caesorstone in light beige /off white) and back splash in our kitchen in a semi detached home in GTA area.
Please have a look at the drawing below and let me know my options either by PM or here. The grey area shows the back splash and white is the counter top

pmd
Jun 3, 2007
276 posts
118 upvotes
Toronto
Hey EZSAVE - thanks for the service you are providing!

I have a quick question - I have just had the kitchen pictured built and now am in the process of contracting out the countertop. So far, I'm thinking either a dark granite (Blue Pearl GT) or a whiter quartzite (Mont Blanc/Damasco White). I've been quoted 5300/6300 for the granite/quarzite. Is this a fair bid? The total area is roughly 58 sq ft (42 for the top and 16 for the bottom).

Also, has anyone sourced Fantasy Brown Quartzite? I just noticed it, but am wondering if I can afford it! Is it similar to the Mont Blanc? I've heard that it is has some amount of calcium carbonate, and thus will etch if not sealed properly. Anyone have it? Thoughts?

Thanks all!
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2004
1723 posts
67 upvotes
Do you mind sharing your opinion of these quartz brands?

Hanstone
Caesarstone
Kstone
TCE
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
5312 posts
798 upvotes
Maple
Hey EZSAVE,
Do you sell and install counter tops? I am looking for quartz counter tops in kitchen and bathroom.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13691 posts
4259 upvotes
What are your thoughts on using sheets of quartz for the walls around the bath tub? I'm wondering if this might be better than going with tile as it will be much more water tight. When I google it I find a lot of companies that claim to sell very thin pieces of it but not sure if this will crack easily or something.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2014
448 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Capt. wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 8:00 am
Do you mind sharing your opinion of these quartz brands?

Hanstone
Caesarstone
Kstone
TCE
Caesarstone is so-called best stone avaliable in the market, made in Israel. Beautiful but expenxive. It's like Hermes in stone industry.
Hanstone and Kstone are lower range than caesarston, still expensive but hey they are mid-grade
TCE is affordable, quanlity is good, a lot of selections. It's just like civic, still best-selling quartz in the mid-low quartz market.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2014
448 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto, ON
TrevorK wrote:
Mar 12th, 2017 2:46 pm
What are your thoughts on using sheets of quartz for the walls around the bath tub? I'm wondering if this might be better than going with tile as it will be much more water tight. When I google it I find a lot of companies that claim to sell very thin pieces of it but not sure if this will crack easily or something.
I'd just suggest go with tiles.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2014
448 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Yzord wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 10:45 am
Hey EZSAVE - thanks for the service you are providing!

I have a quick question - I have just had the kitchen pictured built and now am in the process of contracting out the countertop. So far, I'm thinking either a dark granite (Blue Pearl GT) or a whiter quartzite (Mont Blanc/Damasco White). I've been quoted 5300/6300 for the granite/quarzite. Is this a fair bid? The total area is roughly 58 sq ft (42 for the top and 16 for the bottom).

Also, has anyone sourced Fantasy Brown Quartzite? I just noticed it, but am wondering if I can afford it! Is it similar to the Mont Blanc? I've heard that it is has some amount of calcium carbonate, and thus will etch if not sealed properly. Anyone have it? Thoughts?

Thanks all!
I can definitly go for a better price Winking Face
Jun 3, 2007
276 posts
118 upvotes
Toronto
EZSAVE wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 7:34 pm
I can definitly go for a better price Winking Face
Thanks, EZSAVE. However, I found a much cheaper option from a remnant warehouse.
Feb 28, 2015
328 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto, ON
What is the cost difference between TCE 2cm, 3cm, and 2cm with the laminated edge, all with a standard routed edge?
Jan 2, 2007
913 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
In a bit of a pickle - the bathroom vanity has a granite top and the undermount sink has cracked due to the soap dispenser falling in. The sink is glued to the counter top with epoxy. Is there a way to remove it and install a new sink? Tried with a Dremel multi tool but couldn't cut the epoxy. Are there any solvents available to loosen it?

The width is slightly more than 38'' so can't even go to home depot and grab a replacement top. How much would a similar top with undermount sink cost?

Jan 2, 2012
84 posts
13 upvotes
Hi!

Thanks for the helpful thread!

My new build will be completed in November 2017. I'm currently wondering if I might be better off getting my counter tops done by an external contractor after the build is done or complete it with the builder.
I'm wondering what the cost of Atlantic Salt/Statuario Nuvo/White Attica would cost approximately outside of my builder. Or if there is any stone similar to the look of these at a lower price. I haven't looked at any other stone as I'm not sure what to be looking at for best durability/value. Looking at my floor plan I would need about 66 sq ft of counter top I think.

The problem biggest problem my builder is that they would force me to purchase one of their sinks & there is nothing that I like that they offer. (Not to mention they are SO EXPENSIVE!) They are already including granite counter tops as a base, but I hate the color, so an upgraded counter top is a must.

Thank you for your help!
Dec 15, 2013
136 posts
27 upvotes
TORONTO
I had a new quartz countertop installed in my kitchen today. The installer used glue to attach my undermount sink to the quartz and didn't use any mounting clips. Is that normal? Should I be worried?