• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2017 10:30 pm
Jun 3, 2007
276 posts
118 upvotes
Toronto
heiiress wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 3:17 pm
I'm currently wondering if I might be better off getting my counter tops done by an external contractor after the build is done or complete it with the builder.
Was just having a chat w/ my GC re: this topic (external vs builder) and he talked about how much of a scam "upgrades" are in terms of $$$ for this sort of thing. At the very least, I would urge you to do your homework re: pricing out a countertop. Keep in mind that external contractors have to compete for your $$$ and are frequently better w/ support after the fact.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2008
4854 posts
849 upvotes
Whitby
mohitk wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 2:16 pm
In a bit of a pickle - the bathroom vanity has a granite top and the undermount sink has cracked due to the soap dispenser falling in. The sink is glued to the counter top with epoxy. Is there a way to remove it and install a new sink? Tried with a Dremel multi tool but couldn't cut the epoxy. Are there any solvents available to loosen it?
The width is slightly more than 38'' so can't even go to home depot and grab a replacement top. How much would a similar top with undermount sink cost?
Research granite crack repairs and send pics to countertop shops. I saw a sink removed that was chipped beyond repair; I removed plumbing so watched/helped. Installer said if the top had a flaw it would crack...and chemical only touched the outside of epoxy, not btw the top and sink contact area. He used an osscilating tool on the epoxy....heated the sink all around at the epoxy inside and out...then popped it off with a wedge.
The whole time he was warning it might crack the top. Who know but that looks like PL holding your sink.
nomdesplumes:

"I wonder if adding extra electrical outlets is considered an electrical installation?"
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13095 posts
631 upvotes
We have Ceasarstone in our kitchen and bathroom. Was a considerable price, but then again we have a lot of counterspace.
May 11, 2010
3 posts
We are moving to Kitchener mid April and will be installing a new kitchen. Looking for quartz countertop. Could you pm me your website and info so I can look. So far have just checked the big bix stores today. Otherwise if you have any installers you can refer me to in Kitchener area it would be greatly appreciated. Not a big kitchen its L shaped
Aug 20, 2008
192 posts
35 upvotes
GTA
Hi OP.

Thanks for starting this thread.

I am about to replace my counters with quartz and am waiting for my last quote to come in today. Could you PM me your info and we could chat about my job ...

Would love to get showroom info as well. Looking to do the work in the next couple weeks.

Thanks!
[OP]
Nov 26, 2014
445 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto, ON
davidwsw wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 3:33 pm
I had a new quartz countertop installed in my kitchen today. The installer used glue to attach my undermount sink to the quartz and didn't use any mounting clips. Is that normal? Should I be worried?
silicon? you can stand on your sink, no problem
Dec 13, 2011
89 posts
15 upvotes
GMA
Hi EZSAVE!

How much would an average grade slab of quartz cost for an 120"x48" island kitchen with cutout for undermount sink?

Your price includes installation?
Sep 7, 2005
191 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Hi EZSAVE!
Thanks for helping the rfder's with your expertise here. I am also looking to change my Kitchen Countertop to Quartz. I have measured this to be around 52 Sq ft. in total.
One store I talked to mentioned there will be 2 Slabs required for my kitchen, and I may also be able to do two of my washroom vanities around 14 sq ft each from left over slab.
How much will be the price with a typical TCE stone, Installation and undermount standard sinks included. Thanks
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
1950 posts
547 upvotes
Mississauga
Hi ESZSAVE

What company do you work for? Do you have a website and contact info that can be shared via pm? Looking to upgrade my ktichen from laminate to quartz, along with undermounted dobule sink + faucet; approx 40 sq ft total.

Received some quotes already (between $2100 - $2650)

Any help you can provide would be appreciated
[OP]
Nov 26, 2014
445 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Phatjoe wrote:
Mar 27th, 2017 11:24 pm
Hi EZSAVE!

How much would an average grade slab of quartz cost for an 120"x48" island kitchen with cutout for undermount sink?

Your price includes installation?
1500-2000
[OP]
Nov 26, 2014
445 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto, ON
nasersid wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 2:37 pm
Hi EZSAVE!
Thanks for helping the rfder's with your expertise here. I am also looking to change my Kitchen Countertop to Quartz. I have measured this to be around 52 Sq ft. in total.
One store I talked to mentioned there will be 2 Slabs required for my kitchen, and I may also be able to do two of my washroom vanities around 14 sq ft each from left over slab.
How much will be the price with a typical TCE stone, Installation and undermount standard sinks included. Thanks
can you pm me your layout and color? Or your conatact info?
[OP]
Nov 26, 2014
445 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto, ON
mau_mau wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 9:15 pm
Hi ESZSAVE

What company do you work for? Do you have a website and contact info that can be shared via pm? Looking to upgrade my ktichen from laminate to quartz, along with undermounted dobule sink + faucet; approx 40 sq ft total.

Received some quotes already (between $2100 - $2650)

Any help you can provide would be appreciated
Can you pm the color you selected?
Dec 2, 2009
185 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto
I should have searched rfd before I bought my countertops. I'm paying $1550 for 21 sq/ft of grey quartz. And I'm proving the sink. Seems expensive. Typical small condo kitchen.
Jun 3, 2007
276 posts
118 upvotes
Toronto
Yzord wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 10:13 pm
Thanks, EZSAVE. However, I found a much cheaper option from a remnant warehouse.
Got a few requests to elaborate on my "cheaper option" so here it is.

I went to Latitude Countertops (@ 62 Le Page Ct., (416) 638 8586, http://www.latitudecountertops.com/) due to some favourable reviews by fellow RFDers (specifically Oakman, from place-choose-granite-slab-gta-area-626206/) and was talking to Jonathan Wheeler, their operations manager, about getting a quote for some slabs I'd already sourced out in Concord when I noticed that they had a remnant warehouse in the back. While not huge, the warehouse foreman Jimmy was extremely knowledgeable and generous with his time and helped me look through their collection where I found a few slabs which were perfect for my needs. After some back and forth, I purchased and installed my kitchen countertops (2 slabs of Fantasy Brown/Terra Bianca Quartzite, 3cm thick, ~60sqft + 3" backsplashes) for ~$3800 + hst. Jonathan and Jimmy were a pleasure to deal with and went to great pains to make sure everything was done to my specifications/requests. The finished product is stunning - I'm very happy about the whole process.

I've since noticed they have a specific website for the remnant warehouse (https://remnant.latitudecountertops.com/) which might help any of you looking at this alternative. Good luck all!
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
1950 posts
547 upvotes
Mississauga
EZSAVE wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 11:29 pm
Can you pm the color you selected?
thanks for responding; havent selected a colour yet, but leaning towards a light grey colour