Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Ask me your GST/HST (and maybe PST and QST) questions!

• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2017 3:39 pm
Tags:
Jan 1, 2009
769 posts
123 upvotes
Vancouver
BlueMorpho1 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2016 2:40 pm
Thanks.

now in the case of having not charged it on shipping (my error, I thought you didn't need to), do I just self assess?
Unless the uncollected tax on shipping is material, I would start charging the GST/HST on the freight going forward.

You can always file an amended GST/HST return to report the uncollected tax if the missed amount is however material. Section 224 of the Excise Tax Act allows you to go after the customer and even sue them to recover the missed tax once you do report the uncollected tax on an amended GST/HST return, and make the remittance. It is more common practice to remit the missed amount out of your own profit and be done with it.

Sources:
Right of supplier to sue for tax remitted
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts ... ml#docCont
Jul 28, 2012
25 posts
6 upvotes
EDMONTON
Im new to this and really need some basic tips on recording transactions.
If I run a business, and want to expense a client meal, how would I go about in doing this?

The meal was $100, tax was $10, and tip was $20, for simplicity.
Im trying to record it such that $5 tax is booked to "GST PAID ON PURCHASES" to remit to CRA at the end of my reporting period.

DR Meals & Entertainment, $125
DR GST Payable $5
CR Cash $130

Is this correct? How would I do this in QuickBooks?
Jun 6, 2008
297 posts
30 upvotes
Hi
I have a corporation in Ontario. I am a director and a shareholder.
Can I claim the premiums i pay for my life insurance as an expense?
Jan 1, 2009
769 posts
123 upvotes
Vancouver
mykoolspam wrote:
Jan 25th, 2016 1:42 am
Im new to this and really need some basic tips on recording transactions.
If I run a business, and want to expense a client meal, how would I go about in doing this?

The meal was $100, tax was $10, and tip was $20, for simplicity.
Im trying to record it such that $5 tax is booked to "GST PAID ON PURCHASES" to remit to CRA at the end of my reporting period.

DR Meals & Entertainment, $125
DR GST Payable $5
CR Cash $130

Is this correct? How would I do this in QuickBooks?
You would journalize the actual amounts (i.e Dr. $10 GST/HST, Dr. $120 for meal, Cr. Cash). You would only be able to claim 50% ITC for the GST or HST paid or payable on meals and entertainment. The CRA allows persons to claim 100% of the ITCs from meals and entertainment for the tax year, then do a catchup adjustment to their ITCs on the next quarterly period of the new year to take out 50% of their ITCs from meals.

You can choose one of the following two ways to calculate your ITCs for meals and entertainment expenses:

You can claim 100% ITCs for these expenses throughout your fiscal year. If you file monthly or quarterly GST/HST returns, add the 50% adjustment for the excess ITCs you claimed during the year to your net tax calculation for the first reporting period after the end of your fiscal year.

If you file annually, add the 50% adjustment to your net tax calculation for that fiscal year. Enter the adjustment on line 104 of your GST/HST return.
You can claim 50% of the actual GST/HST you pay on these expenses during each reporting period. By choosing this method, you do not have to make any adjustments at the end of your fiscal year.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/ ... s-eng.html
Jan 1, 2009
769 posts
123 upvotes
Vancouver
hello2adi wrote:
Feb 1st, 2016 4:31 pm
Hi
I have a corporation in Ontario. I am a director and a shareholder.
Can I claim the premiums i pay for my life insurance as an expense?
Depends on your policy. CRA has a lot of ITA interpretations with some policies deductible, not deductible, and others that trigger taxable benefits on your T4 slip prepared by your corporation to report your salaries and taxable beneits. This link actually has a nice summary of what type of policies are deductible, non-deductible, and may result in a taxable benefit. PDF page 11 has a great summary:

https://www.sunnet.sunlife.com/files/ad ... ctible.pdf

Also, insurance is GST/HST exempt (provinces generally charge a provincial sales tax however), so you can't claim any GST/HST ITCs on insurance (vehicle, professional, liability, or life insurance).
Jan 17, 2013
10 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
How long does it typically take to receive your GST/HST refund? Are there specific cheque run dates? It's been close to three weeks for my business now and we could really use the money to invest in prototypes!

I hope it's not undergoing an audit. I don't have the time or money to organize all my supporting documentation or hire an accountant to do all the work for me!!
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
2014 posts
602 upvotes
Toronto
Question on Ontario HST 8% on telecommunications.

Looking at my phone bill there is a line that says: "An Input Tax Credit (ITC) restriction may apply to the Ontario provincial component of the HST on Telecommunication Services."
When I try to look it up I found this: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/gi/gi-171/gi-171-e.html

I don't speak "tax speak". What I get from this is that the phasing out of ITC's only applies to large businesses with sales of >$10 million. As a small business with much lower sales do I have to worry about this or not? In other words can I just claim all my ITC's as they are or am I going to have to phase them in according to the chart "Phase-out of RITCs in Ontario" in the above link.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel