• Jun 28th, 2015 9:13 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 10, 2015
22 posts
7 upvotes
Can

Ask a medical student anything

Since starting med school, I've realised that there's a LOT of misinformation out there when it comes to medical school, admission into medical school, the education/training involved and practising medicine as a career after your training. Fortunately, Canadian medical schools recognise that diversification of physician backgrounds is vital moving forward and it's now (easier) for individuals of all socio-economic and cultural backgrounds to pursue a medical degree.

I've worked in a number of different jobs (both within and outside of science/research) before starting medical school (in Canada). It took me a few attempts at admission before eventually obtaining a seat, and I did a lot of research into the field itself as well as other options outside of medicine during this stretch. I also used RFD forums in the past - so thought I'd pay it forward and share what I have learned about the field and continue to learn going through the process.

Ask away if interested!
69 replies
Nov 23, 2014
54 posts
20 upvotes
NCR
Why do so many doctors think they are gods?
Nov 15, 2008
800 posts
227 upvotes
Why are so many medical students insufferable douchebags? Why do they stay that way as practitioners?
Dec 17, 2014
801 posts
386 upvotes
Why medicine and not any other field? Is it because of prestige and future earning potential?
Jun 10, 2015
22 posts
7 upvotes
Can
I'm almost thirty.

You start off grateful to be on a track towards what you perceive to be a noble and rewarding profession but I think that some students become jaded over time from the increasing amount of pressure that's put on you as you progress through your education and training. And while there are some amazing preceptors and staff physicians out there, you encounter some who view teaching trainees as a chore. While others are just clearly burntout.

That being said, at this point, I find that the majority of us are humble and respectful - from what I've seen anyway. But I'll have to admit that I'm a different person when I'm with a patient in the limited roles we currently take on compared to in public with my medical student hat off. Maybe some students are just asses in real life as an escape? And I can't deny that many will be drawn to this profession to mask certain insecurities - just like in other "respected" professions. We're all human.

Long answer short - I can think of four reasons why some students / residents may let it all get to their heads -

1) It's very competitive to get in - and getting more so. Majority of students in Canada have applied three times or more and often endure years of uncertainty and financial strain while applying.

2) The way applicants "godify" the profession to keep them motivated throughout the application process.

3) The system itself - in the first few months of med school you are constantly being congratulated by peers, mentors, administrators, family, those who want to become doctors, etc... I never understood this and as I get older it makes me more and more uncomfortable.

4) The way doctors are presented in the media, North American culture, popular culture, etc.

5) Although it's becoming more diversified, I would say that the majority of medical students either have parents or siblings who are doctors. I wouldn't really know, (my parents don't have University degrees), but maybe there's an element of how they grew up around their parents' professions that have influenced their take on themselves and the world.
Jul 6, 2008
675 posts
193 upvotes
Toronto
Curious on what the dating prospects are like in the medical field? I see most doctors are paired up together or with nurses since they spend majority of time together at the hospital. Do you lower or increase you're standards for potential mates, and does age or profession play a role as well?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
Do you have small man syndrome?
Sep 13, 2011
364 posts
64 upvotes
Congrats OP. I'm sure your application must have been absolutely flawless to get in. From what I've heard from a few people I know, it's apparently close to impossible to get in at any Canadian school. Not that there's anything wrong with that as most people naturally want their physicians to be among the academic elite, but surely this isn't misinformation?

Also, what caused you to leave a career of science and research for professional medicine? Medicine is very stressful and high paced work, while research and science is much more laid back and carries much less liability. I would assume the skills and knowledge in being a proficient scientist would not be very transferable in being a proficient physician (if at all).
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21133 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
Which school are you studying at and where did you do your undergrad?
Jun 10, 2015
280 posts
59 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
What is the difference between a Canadian medical graduate and a Canadian who graduated from the Caribbeans or the US?
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1088 posts
352 upvotes
howdydo wrote: What is the difference between a Canadian medical graduate and a Canadian who graduated from the Caribbeans or the US?

US citizen can get internship after attending coconut school. While in Canada you are considered international student, and will never get residency.
Jun 10, 2015
22 posts
7 upvotes
Can
Well, yes, currently you would be considered an IMG and there are growing seats depending on province that are designated for IMG's. But you are competing with all other intenational grads vying for for a Canadian residency. So it is more difficult but certainly not impossible.
ironbrah wrote: US citizen can get internship after attending coconut school. While in Canada you are considered international student, and will never get residency.
Jun 10, 2015
280 posts
59 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
ironbrah wrote: US citizen can get internship after attending coconut school. While in Canada you are considered international student, and will never get residency.
aesclepius wrote: Well, yes, currently you would be considered an IMG and there are growing seats depending on province that are designated for IMG's. But you are competing with all other intenational grads vying for for a Canadian residency. So it is more difficult but certainly not impossible.
Interesting...

So what about all the schools (such as Kittes) that say students *will* get residency in an American Hospital?

I have a friend (who hasn't really shared many details) going through the process now. He seems to think that the Caribbeans area sure shot to being a GP. If not in Canada, in the USA.
Jun 10, 2015
22 posts
7 upvotes
Can
Thanks, - so actually, my application wasn't perfect. My MCAT was average and my GPA was well below the average of matriculants (GPA requirements in general spiked exponentially in the few years I took to explore other options). I'm pretty sure I must've done quite well during my only round of MMI interviews (multiple-mini interviews) to overcome the deficits from other application components. (I also had research experience and a publication / poster presentations however).

It's competitive, but again - certainly not impossible. It also depends on the medical school and your home province of residence. If you're an Ontaritonian, you have a bit of a rougher time becuase UofT and Queens don't really consider in-province quotas. If hail from Winnipeg, then you should be fine for an interview with UofM if you're able to see a science degree to completion with no glaring deficiencies in your GPA (B+, A- and a good MCAT score should do it). Alberta, BC, Martime provinces I'd estimate a 1/5 chance of admission considering you've got a 3.75-3.80 / 4.0 and 32+ MCAT. It's getting harder every year, however. I'll talk a bit about my decision process RE: research-> science a little bit later.
Jun 10, 2015
22 posts
7 upvotes
Can
Like I said, lots of misinformation out there.

I don't know the hard stats (nobody does really; detailed info isn't out there for the public to view) - but the Canadian Medical Association keeps surface level stats on Carms (Canadian residency matching service) and you can see the number of residency spots allocated and given to IMG's each year.

I'm not familiar with Kittes but do know about SGU and Ross. Not sure about the US, but I hear SGU rotates their students through clerkships in the states (NY I think?). However, VISA issues for Canadians that have gone to the carribean present an issue / barriers to getting a US residency - I believe.

I've heard of success stories prior to starting med school, and through my own education, I've come across Canadians who have gone to Ireland, or SABA (carib) who ended up making it back home for residency - not just in Fam Pract either. Some of them are our mentors during clinical training sessions. That being said, it wouldn't be hard to imagine 4 failures for every sucess story though.
howdydo wrote: Interesting...

So what about all the schools (such as Kittes) that say students *will* get residency in an American Hospital?

I have a friend (who hasn't really shared many details) going through the process now. He seems to think that the Caribbeans area sure shot to being a GP. If not in Canada, in the USA.
Jun 10, 2015
22 posts
7 upvotes
Can
If VISA issues aren't really much of a barrier, and you don't care about an Academic centre for your GP training, you should be able to get an FP spot somwhere in the US. Rural / middle of nowhere, etc. Again I've got no real stats on this but just my general feel of the situation. Tonnes of new MD/ DO training spots schools are openning up in the US however, with not proportionate increase in residency training spots. So either way, it will become more competitive in the near future.
howdydo wrote: Interesting...

Nov 15, 2008
800 posts
227 upvotes
I don't know how doctors can stand their jobs. It's essentially just a very high paying front line customer service role. You have deal with a lot of irrational, demanding idiots and touch their gross bodies, while smiling all the way through it. You deserve the high salaries.

And OP, can you explain to me why men choose to go into gynecology? I mean, most patients are not going to be supermodels.
Jun 10, 2015
22 posts
7 upvotes
Can
Ya it's not at all as rosey as people make it out to be. It's great to have the sense that you're making a small difference in ppls lives. But really imo the higher salaries are only justified because of all the *****ing debt and amount of schooling you have to do to even get in... Only to face another 4 years os school plus 5 years job training after.

So I met someone in upper year who just matched to obs gen... Dude who was super *****ing attached to obs gen. Went all out to get it. Really the main draw is that it's really surgical and you get to deliver babies. It's a rush for some people.
anon666 wrote: I don't know how doctors can stand their jobs. It's essentially just a very high paying front line customer service role. You have deal with a lot of irrational, demanding idiots and touch their gross bodies, while smiling all the way through it. You deserve the high salaries.

And OP, can you explain to me why men choose to go into gynecology? I mean, most patients are not going to be supermodels.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)