• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2019 10:22 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Jan 13, 2016
26 posts
Toronto, ON
[QUOTE]If the proposal goes through certain medications would be delivered to patients through a vending machine.[/QUOTE]

"Certain medications"

Pharmacy Technician just became a regulated profession in Ontario (and they can make up to $28/hour) so that's a total waste if this job gets phased out soon.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24259 posts
1519 upvotes
Markham, ON
simple...if you think you were told to come back in an hour...it's likely he told a lot of ppl prior to come back in an hour...

administration, insurance verification, and conflicts of medicine on file etc...i guess it takes time.

i dont mind the wait...makes me think that they ensured accuracy.
Aug 8, 2004
290 posts
32 upvotes
GVRD
They most likely had other customers before you that they had to finish. Also depending on the time, their assistant could be going on a break , etc so they gave a comfortable time with some cushion. Its not enjoyable to work under a time crunch especially when we are dealing with something as important as medication.

That being said, there are pharmacists (and assistants) that lack a sense of urgency and work very slow. Some people are not great at multitasking or their knowledge base/confidence may hold them back.

I am a pharmacist.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
5463 posts
1126 upvotes
Richmond Hill
its the Canadian/Western culture me thinks. We work much slower then our Asian/Eastern counterparts.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24259 posts
1519 upvotes
Markham, ON
yesstyle wrote:
Feb 24th, 2016 10:55 am
its the Canadian/Western culture me thinks. We work much slower then our Asian/Eastern counterparts.
hehe...similar to hair cuts...omg...you go to asia...and damn they work quick.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
8302 posts
1316 upvotes
Toronto
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Feb 24th, 2016 10:57 am
The bowl hardly gets time to stay on your head as they cut around it. lol
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41094 posts
4880 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
aceaofivalia wrote:
Feb 24th, 2016 2:19 am
1) Was the store busy? Even if the store didn't look filled with people, they probably had many other patients before you, if they told you 1 hr wait time to start.
2) Some people can and will sue the pharmacy in case something went wrong with their drug, including manufacturer-made cream like that. Honestly I wonder what would happen if we were to test two lines: one that says "no liability" line that guarantees 5 min wait-time and the other one that properly checks for stuff. The stuff here being correct drug, dose, directions, interaction, et cetera.
3) No there's no real union in most community pharmacy chains. In fact, they might be the only pharmacist on shift for 8 hours straight without break time and probably wishes that they were unionized.
i'm sure whatever pharmacy regulatory bodies out there would probably revoke a license if the mess up was bad enough too. PRofessionals won't risk their career over someone who wants 2 seconds fast food take out like service.
Banned
Jan 13, 2016
26 posts
Toronto, ON
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Feb 24th, 2016 10:57 am
It depends on the area. I've experienced loooong wait times in both a drugstore and a salon in the Philippines. Many major establishments are not stingy on man power either. They hire more workers compared to Canada. People in the islands have a laidback, relaxed mentality and they don't feel like they're in a rush, and they would much rather gossip/fool around with their coworkers first instead of attending to customers.
Banned
Jan 13, 2016
26 posts
Toronto, ON
What's a good first entry program if you're looking to proceed to PharmD? How did you prepare for PharmD school application (paper requirements and interview)? Any tips/advice to prospective PharmD students?
Dec 20, 2013
422 posts
42 upvotes
Ontario
iEyeCaptain wrote:
Feb 24th, 2016 9:13 am
and if they're super fast, they're bound to make mistakes (they're humans), and then people will be complaining they rush too much.

there's a lot that goes on in the background when dispensing. it's not as simple and reading the prescription, counting pills, pop them into a bottle, and bam. they can pay any monkey (aka pharmacy technicians) to do that. there's a reason they pay pharmacists $40-$60/hour compared to $13-$18 for pharmatechs.
This
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7336 posts
1058 upvotes
Toronto
I have a real-life problem just now: I have prescription for Amoxicillin/Clavulanic 500's right now but the pills are difficult for me to follow. Can I crush them and swallow them in or with water/milk? I know they should be taken at mealtime etc.
Aug 8, 2004
290 posts
32 upvotes
GVRD
Amoxi clav can be crushed or broken. Also it should always be taken with food. Hope this helps.
Jimbobs wrote:
Feb 24th, 2016 11:08 pm
I have a real-life problem just now: I have prescription for Amoxicillin/Clavulanic 500's right now but the pills are difficult for me to follow. Can I crush them and swallow them in or with water/milk? I know they should be taken at mealtime etc.
[OP]
Nov 20, 2015
30 posts
17 upvotes
Surrey, BC
machura wrote:
Feb 24th, 2016 11:22 am
What's a good first entry program if you're looking to proceed to PharmD? How did you prepare for PharmD school application (paper requirements and interview)? Any tips/advice to prospective PharmD students?
Wow did not realize this thread was back in action since it was moved.

The entry level PharmD program just started here in BC so I graduated with the regular B.Sc program but AFAIK from talking to a couple students, the process wasn't that much different other than the pre-reqs so make sure you have those updated. You can google interview questions online, they are pretty similar to med MMI questions, and make sure you have your references in order. Some schools also have essay requirements.

Make sure you are going into the profession not for the money as people used to, as it isn't there right now. Do it because you want to help and care for patients. Get a part time job as an intern at a pharmacy as this helps tons with seeing the things you learn in action, and securing a job upon graduation.