• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2019 10:22 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 29, 2009
110 posts
55 upvotes
London
Is there a certain skin whitening cream or gel you would recommend for the face or neck area? TIA
[OP]
Nov 20, 2015
30 posts
17 upvotes
Surrey, BC
fortune500 wrote:
Mar 4th, 2016 4:59 pm
Is there a certain skin whitening cream or gel you would recommend for the face or neck area? TIA
Hydroquinone is the most common skin whitening cream used but it has been associated with things like cancer and a skin condition called ochronosis. Unfortunately for this, prevention is much more effective than treatment (preventing sun damage mainly). Dermatologists can also prescribe special compounded skin creams specific for your needs.
Deal Expert
Dec 22, 2006
39672 posts
33612 upvotes
Economy
AskARxist wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2015 2:17 am
The RFD community has helped me a lot and I just want to give back in some way. Not sure how this thread will evolve, if at all, but I will update this post as needed.

I am being treated for bacterial pneumonia and have to take/use a lot of meds.
I would like to know what each one is for.

First off I am on 2 puffers(why 2).

1. Salbutamol
2. FloVent HFA - fluticasone propionate

I am also taking Moxifloxacin, Prednisone, and Naproxen.
I am also taking Tylenol for a persistant headache.

It just seems excessive.
Jan 5, 2006
949 posts
77 upvotes
Mississauga
It's quite typical, but this is really a question that you should ask the pharmacist who dispensed it. Your dispensing fees paid for this service, so you should have received it. Counselling on dispensing is a basic standard of practice.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Winnings:
2008 - 591mL Coke drink
Deal Expert
Dec 22, 2006
39672 posts
33612 upvotes
Economy
SamInfinity wrote:
Mar 7th, 2016 7:04 pm
It's quite typical, but this is really a question that you should ask the pharmacist who dispensed it. Your dispensing fees paid for this service, so you should have received it. Counselling on dispensing is a basic standard of practice.
I was too sick to have a conversation with my pharmacist .
I was released from the hospital, went for my meds and then headed home to bed for a few days.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2004
1054 posts
63 upvotes
msb45 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2015 8:34 pm
I get it, but one health professional to another, I'd suggest being careful because if something goes wrong you may be held responsible.
I know it has been 3 months. but agree be careful giving health care advice. You can be responsible.
[OP]
Nov 20, 2015
30 posts
17 upvotes
Surrey, BC
valeriey wrote:
Mar 7th, 2016 6:43 pm
I am being treated for bacterial pneumonia and have to take/use a lot of meds.
I would like to know what each one is for.

First off I am on 2 puffers(why 2).

1. Salbutamol
2. FloVent HFA - fluticasone propionate

I am also taking Moxifloxacin, Prednisone, and Naproxen.
I am also taking Tylenol for a persistant headache.

It just seems excessive.
Hi Valeriey,

Sorry to hear! I hope you are slowly feeling better. Get lots of rest!

The two puffers you are on are for different purposes.

Salbutamol: opens up your airways to allow easier air flow to improve breathing, reduce shortness of breath and coughing. usually just used as needed.
Flovent: corticosteroid that reduces inflammation in the airways.

Moxifloxacin: Antibiotic for the pneumonia.
Prednisone: another (stronger) corticosteroid to reduce inflammation in the airways
Naproxen: an anti-inflammatory/pain medication...not sure if it was prescribed along with your pneumonia meds or if it's for other aches and pains you may have.

It may seem excessive but they are all for different purposes.

Hope that helps!
Deal Expert
Dec 22, 2006
39672 posts
33612 upvotes
Economy
Thank you!
At least I know what each med is supposed to do.
Deal Expert
Dec 22, 2006
39672 posts
33612 upvotes
Economy
AskARxist wrote:
Mar 7th, 2016 10:18 pm
Hi Valeriey,

Sorry to hear! I hope you are slowly feeling better. Get lots of rest!

The two puffers you are on are for different purposes.

Salbutamol: opens up your airways to allow easier air flow to improve breathing, reduce shortness of breath and coughing. usually just used as needed.
Flovent: corticosteroid that reduces inflammation in the airways.

Moxifloxacin: Antibiotic for the pneumonia.
Prednisone: another (stronger) corticosteroid to reduce inflammation in the airways
Naproxen: an anti-inflammatory/pain medication...not sure if it was prescribed along with your pneumonia meds or if it's for other aches and pains you may have.

It may seem excessive but they are all for different purposes.

Hope that helps!
Thank goodness I am not taking/using all these meds anymore.

I am now taking Detrol LA. Is there anything that I shouldn't eat/drink while taking this?
Sep 15, 2005
585 posts
96 upvotes
I'm in BC and my GP is going to be moving (and the hunt for another family doc begins). She's not retiring, but will be practicing in Ontario. I have a prescription for propranolol from her, but once she moves, does that mean the prescription is no longer valid?

I already know that prescriptions are valid for only one year, and I've filled my prescription already with three refills left. If my prescription does become invalid once she moves, I was thinking I should try getting all of my refills at once before she goes, because I don't know how long it might take to find another family doc. BTW, I don't have an extended health insurance plan.
Apr 1, 2004
335 posts
198 upvotes
vm_fan wrote:
Jul 21st, 2016 2:53 pm
I'm in BC and my GP is going to be moving (and the hunt for another family doc begins). She's not retiring, but will be practicing in Ontario. I have a prescription for propranolol from her, but once she moves, does that mean the prescription is no longer valid?

I already know that prescriptions are valid for only one year, and I've filled my prescription already with three refills left. If my prescription does become invalid once she moves, I was thinking I should try getting all of my refills at once before she goes, because I don't know how long it might take to find another family doc. BTW, I don't have an extended health insurance plan.
as long as she maintains her license then your prescription will still be valid, but there is no way for you to find out how long
if she doesn't, the prescription is no longer valid along with the refills (can't be processes at all by the pharmacy because no valid prescriber)

so explain the situation and ask your pharmacy if you could pick up the rest of the prescription at once (ie your 3 refills which is 9 months supply if you get 3 month at once)
no extended health coverage means less problems,
although if you have pharmacare coverage, any supply over 3 months (assuming you are due for refill) will be out of pocket, which means it won't go towards your pharmacare deductible either
Apr 18, 2008
334 posts
93 upvotes
I'd be very careful about giving medical advice on the internet as a health professional. Hopefully your insurance covers online consultation.
Apr 1, 2004
335 posts
198 upvotes
um, how is explaining how pharmacare works in BC is giving medical advice?

but yes i hear what you're saying, giving actual medical advice about prescription medications online is risky
Sep 15, 2005
585 posts
96 upvotes
^ Yeah, I'm not sure how asking about the validity of a prescription can be construed as asking for "medical advice."

I'm a relative newbie to prescription meds and I actually had no prior knowledge about Pharmacare, believe it or not :o , so your reply spurred me on to educate myself about it. I called to register for it, but was surprised to learn that I was registered already, even though I have no memory of doing so (maybe it was years ago or maybe it was automatic at one time?). Anyway, thanks again for the info.
Apr 18, 2008
334 posts
93 upvotes
jocyyu wrote:
Jul 26th, 2016 7:31 am
um, how is explaining how pharmacare works in BC is giving medical advice?

but yes i hear what you're saying, giving actual medical advice about prescription medications online is risky
I'm not talking about you. LOL. I'm talking about AskARxist.