Careers

Ask a Recruiter Anything (interview tips, resume, recruiters in general)

  • Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2017 11:20 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2390 posts
368 upvotes

Ask a Recruiter Anything (interview tips, resume, recruiters in general)

Ask me anything :)

I've done recruiting for corporate and agency/search firm.

Full Time and Contract.

Ask away!
447 replies
Banned
User avatar
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3161 upvotes
Calgary
Why do firms leave job advertisements up and active on their websites or various other recruiting platforms (ie: newspapers) when they are already in possession of hundreds of qualified resumes for such positions?
TodayHello wrote:
Oct 16th, 2012 9:06 pm
...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2390 posts
368 upvotes
Mark77 wrote:
Jan 25th, 2012 11:45 am
Why do firms leave job advertisements up and active on their websites or various other recruiting platforms (ie: newspapers) when they are already in possession of hundreds of qualified resumes for such positions?

Most job orders from client employers are filled by candidates recruiters have already met in the past.

For example:

Client calls us 3PM and says "I need a new accountant, mine just quit on me to travel the world!". We call up candidates we have already met in the past and see who's available. By 5PM we have 3-5 resumes to show to client.

A lot of times, recruiters leave up postings for common roles and profiles to bring in more resumes. Yes it is frustrating from a job seeker's point of view, knowing the job you're applying for doesn't exist....yet. However its important for job seekers to keep trying and keep meeting people and keep in touch with recruiters.

Employers use recruitment agencies typically for urgency and time constraints.

In the corporate recruitment world, sometimes companies post up jobs the moment they think they need someone....not because they have the management approval for it! I've done that before....but the moment I had approval I already had one person in my hand to hire, final interview and start within 5 days.
Banned
User avatar
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3161 upvotes
Calgary
Have you ever stopped working with an employer-client due to a lack of professionalism on the part of the employer (even if they pay your bill) towards the professionals that you have put forth for interviews?
TodayHello wrote:
Oct 16th, 2012 9:06 pm
...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2390 posts
368 upvotes
Mark77 wrote:
Jan 25th, 2012 1:13 pm
Have you ever stopped working with an employer-client due to a lack of professionalism on the part of the employer (even if they pay your bill) towards the professionals that you have put forth for interviews?

Me personally? I haven't encountered that because I don't deal with clients, I deal with candidates only.

Yes I have heard stories though. In the end, why should an agency waste their time with a crappy employer. If they're a crappy client/employer, they're not going to treat their employees well and most agencies have a 2-3 month guarantee period where if the candidate leaves the client within 2-3 months for whatever reason, the replacement is free. That would be an extreme waste of time for agency and candidate, and in the end candidate will be pissed at the agency. Reputable Agencies do keep a "blacklist" of bad clients to prevent bad stories from happening again and again.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 5, 2005
1566 posts
4 upvotes
R. Hill
I'm an accountant with 10 years experience in the property management industry. Recently, I have completed the courses to become a property manager. How do I make the transition from an accounting role to a property manager role?

I've interviewed recently with a small property management firm for the role of property manager, but they settled on someone with property manager experience.
Member
Sep 18, 2011
362 posts
40 upvotes
AURORA
Would you say you work on behalf of the potential candidate or the employer?

I find that many recruiters work on the employers half.
Is there any recruiters who would work on behalf of the employee and find him multiple contacts instead of finding him 1, while he has to compete with your other candidates?

I know its a general question, because in the end of the day you get paid by the company, but is there an exception?

Reason im asking is that I had a recruiter once. He called me up and says if I am interested and then he explains how im missing this and that in my experience (eventhough its the type of job I'd fit in) and apologizes for calling me. This recruiter did it a couple of times. He called me again while I was working about a job interest and i didnt respond so he sent my resume back in the mail (snail mail) with a sticky confirming that I am not interested in his service.

I just find recruiters fustrated to work with. He makes my experience+education meaningless........... :(
Newbie
Oct 19, 2010
45 posts
2 upvotes
bhrm wrote:
Jan 25th, 2012 11:37 am
Ask me anything :)

I've done recruiting for corporate and agency/search firm.

Full Time and Contract.

Ask away!

How long should a candidate wait after a second interview to know his faith? Basically, I am wondering what the typical time line is for the employer to get back to a candidate after a 2nd round interview ?

If you contact a shortlisted candidate by phone and he's not available (after 2 tries), do you (recruiters) normally take the extra effort and shoot them an email ? (Be honest :) )

Do employers consider relocation bonus in making a final choice; i.e., can it break the deal for a candidate who is farther away than other applicants to the job location?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2390 posts
368 upvotes
ynot wrote:
Jan 25th, 2012 2:09 pm
I'm an accountant with 10 years experience in the property management industry. Recently, I have completed the courses to become a property manager. How do I make the transition from an accounting role to a property manager role?

I've interviewed recently with a small property management firm for the role of property manager, but they settled on someone with property manager experience.

If they picked someone else, time to look elsewhere. If your current employer won't recognize your experience and qualifications, its time to find someone else who will.
Member
Sep 18, 2011
362 posts
40 upvotes
AURORA
Do you know any recruiters who are based in the GTA that work on relocating someone. Say from GTA/Ontario out west?

I always hear about the thriving markets in Alberta/Saskatchewan/Manitoba but there isnt any recruiters who deal with getting educated potentials to move out west.

Are you or do you know any that actually look into some East Coast meat for the hungry labour market out west?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2390 posts
368 upvotes
Kappa21 wrote:
Jan 25th, 2012 2:17 pm
Would you say you work on behalf of the potential candidate or the employer?

I find that many recruiters work on the employers half.
Is there any recruiters who would work on behalf of the employee and find him multiple contacts instead of finding him 1, while he has to compete with your other candidates?

I know its a general question, because in the end of the day you get paid by the company, but is there an exception?

Reason im asking is that I had a recruiter once. He called me up and says if I am interested and then he explains how im missing this and that in my experience (eventhough its the type of job I'd fit in) and apologizes for calling me. This recruiter did it a couple of times. He called me again while I was working about a job interest and i didnt respond so he sent my resume back in the mail (snail mail) with a sticky confirming that I am not interested in his service.

I just find recruiters fustrated to work with. He makes my experience+education meaningless........... :(

It's a matter of finding the right match and skills profile.

Yes it does seem like recruiters do work on the employers behalf.....but also don't forget recruiters don't get paid if there's no right match between employer and candidate. If you don't like the job they present to you, then its no go.

If the recruiter is being vague with reasons why you don't match....time to find a new one!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2390 posts
368 upvotes
Kappa21 wrote:
Jan 25th, 2012 2:33 pm
Do you know any recruiters who are based in the GTA that work on relocating someone. Say from GTA/Ontario out west?

I always hear about the thriving markets in Alberta/Saskatchewan/Manitoba but there isnt any recruiters who deal with getting educated potentials to move out west.

Are you or do you know any that actually look into some East Coast meat for the hungry labour market out west?
You need to talk to larger recruitment agencies like Hays, Randstad, Robert Half, Adecco. Or whichever agency specializes in your field.

In my previous life in corporate recruiting I've used Hays and Randstad for that.

What industry/field are you looking for?


A friend of mine almost moved to Vancouver for a position, interview process was through an agency (i forgot which), but pay was not high enough to move and MBA they weren't willing to subsidize.

His field of work is very very very specific though. Very few people which is why the agency had to look across Canada.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 16, 2007
2469 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
Are there actually any reputable recruiters who can recognize someone's skillset instead of trying to get as many candidates as possible to fill their pockets?
Jr. Member
Nov 24, 2008
123 posts
1 upvote
Mr.Recruiter, do you deal with recruiting for IT jobs? For most new grads entering the field I find even the junior IT jobs that are posted by recruiters almost impossible to apply for. And by the time I do learn everything on the list, one or two technology on that list becomes obsolete and I have to start from scratch.

If the OP is really a recruiter, I would like to know if the IT jobs being posted really exists and how can a new grad in computer science can get their foot in if the most entry of IT jobs requires the skill and experience of a senior IT position.

Are the IT jobs fake? i.e. make the job description and requirements near impossible to meet, so if no one replies, no one will suspect its fake and assume that they just didn't qualify.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2390 posts
368 upvotes
mgronqui wrote:
Jan 25th, 2012 3:56 pm
Are there actually any reputable recruiters who can recognize someone's skillset instead of trying to get as many candidates as possible to fill their pockets?

Getting candidates doesn't put any money in anyone's pockets.

Getting the right candidate in the right job does.

Different recruiters have different strategies. In one place I worked, they required me to do 40 interviews a week at least, if I had less I wasn't doing my job!

Also its important for job seekers to ensure they present their skills well on paper and in person.

Top