Careers

Ask a Recruiter Anything (interview tips, resume, recruiters in general)

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2017 12:03 pm
Tags:
None
Sr. Member
Oct 9, 2011
548 posts
274 upvotes
EAST YORK
Hi bhrm,

I'm getting back into job hunt mode again as I'm looking for a change from my current position. I've been out of it for a while (~2 years) so I'm just wondering - are places like Indeed, Eluta and LinkedIn etc. still the best places to apply on? Or are there any other websites I can also look at?

Also, what is the consensus on an applicant cold-approaching a recruiter on LinkedIn and asking them details of a position and seeing if there's any availability instead of actually submitting an application? Or is that something that's better to do through an informational interview with someone from the department?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2475 posts
417 upvotes
Good recruiters are BFFs to hiring managers, they know exactly what they want, share same vision and have open communication/feedback. Recruiters know how to "sell" and present to hiring managers, telling them why the candidate is a good fit and worthy of their time to interview. When i say recruiters, I mean both agency and corporate recruiters.

Notes wise, for sure. My notes look like disgusting undecipherable and backwards chicken scratch, keeps things confidential :)
Sometimes I do notes in meetings but I find it distracting but sometimes i jot key things down or not write at all.

I haven't done too much creative recruiting, other than for my other other other side job searching for new talent (photogs and cinetogs) but if you have specific questions I can try my best to answer them!
uber_shnitz wrote:
Oct 18th, 2016 10:20 am
A bit more procedural a question and I assume depends on the organization, but what's the communication level between recruiters and hiring managers? Like, if you speak to a recruiter and they take notes, do all those notes go directly to the hiring manager (assuming they call you in for an interview) or do they get some kind of formatting/summarizing/re-structuring?

I assume it varies greatly per organization, but based on your experience.

Also, do you have any experience (or knowledge) of recruiting for creative positions (where work samples/portfolios tend to be involved)?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 6, 2010
7934 posts
777 upvotes
Ottawa
bhrm wrote:
Oct 18th, 2016 10:44 am
Good recruiters are BFFs to hiring managers, they know exactly what they want, share same vision and have open communication/feedback. Recruiters know how to "sell" and present to hiring managers, telling them why the candidate is a good fit and worthy of their time to interview. When i say recruiters, I mean both agency and corporate recruiters.

Notes wise, for sure. My notes look like disgusting undecipherable and backwards chicken scratch, keeps things confidential :)
Sometimes I do notes in meetings but I find it distracting but sometimes i jot key things down or not write at all.

I haven't done too much creative recruiting, other than for my other other other side job searching for new talent (photogs and cinetogs) but if you have specific questions I can try my best to answer them!
Thanks for the prompt reply! It makes sense, I guess I was just wondering how much of what one said when talking to the recruiter would get translated to the hiring manager directly, so if an interview followed whether to assume the hiring manager knew what one had told the recruiter. I'd assume at larger organizations that it might get a bit more messy unless specific recruiters are assigned to specific teams.

I asked for creative specifically, mostly because like I said, work samples and portfolios are often used to judge a candidate's skill/talent and how recruiters worked through sorting that if they don't come from that background. Would they be operating purely on credentials or be given some kind of basic background training as to what constitutes good/bad work? I mean, at smaller creative organizations, you don't even get to an interview if the work isn't up to the hiring manager's standards (which I guess is why most hiring managers will do the interviewing themselves) so I was wondering how it would work with creative recruiting.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2475 posts
417 upvotes
Those are the good places, and as for recruiters, send them an email and follow up with a call. If they have something for you they will reach out.
baddoctor wrote:
Oct 18th, 2016 10:38 am
Hi bhrm,

I'm getting back into job hunt mode again as I'm looking for a change from my current position. I've been out of it for a while (~2 years) so I'm just wondering - are places like Indeed, Eluta and LinkedIn etc. still the best places to apply on? Or are there any other websites I can also look at?

Also, what is the consensus on an applicant cold-approaching a recruiter on LinkedIn and asking them details of a position and seeing if there's any availability instead of actually submitting an application? Or is that something that's better to do through an informational interview with someone from the department?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2475 posts
417 upvotes
Typically recruiters are assigned to support specific businesses, at least the good recruiters are. Bad recruiters are ones that just try to plug people in and hope it works out, not really the most accountable way of doing things. That's why sometimes hiring managers like using agency recruiters, because they're actually motivated to do a good search and a thorough process.

Creative positions are portfolio heavy, showing off your range of abilities and skills, capabilities but also your potential.
uber_shnitz wrote:
Oct 18th, 2016 11:11 am
bhrm wrote:
Oct 18th, 2016 10:44 am
Good recruiters are BFFs to hiring managers, they know exactly what they want, share same vision and have open communication/feedback. Recruiters know how to "sell" and present to hiring managers, telling them why the candidate is a good fit and worthy of their time to interview. When i say recruiters, I mean both agency and corporate recruiters.

Notes wise, for sure. My notes look like disgusting undecipherable and backwards chicken scratch, keeps things confidential :)
Sometimes I do notes in meetings but I find it distracting but sometimes i jot key things down or not write at all.

I haven't done too much creative recruiting, other than for my other other other side job searching for new talent (photogs and cinetogs) but if you have specific questions I can try my best to answer them!
Thanks for the prompt reply! It makes sense, I guess I was just wondering how much of what one said when talking to the recruiter would get translated to the hiring manager directly, so if an interview followed whether to assume the hiring manager knew what one had told the recruiter. I'd assume at larger organizations that it might get a bit more messy unless specific recruiters are assigned to specific teams.

I asked for creative specifically, mostly because like I said, work samples and portfolios are often used to judge a candidate's skill/talent and how recruiters worked through sorting that if they don't come from that background. Would they be operating purely on credentials or be given some kind of basic background training as to what constitutes good/bad work? I mean, at smaller creative organizations, you don't even get to an interview if the work isn't up to the hiring manager's standards (which I guess is why most hiring managers will do the interviewing themselves) so I was wondering how it would work with creative recruiting.
Jr. Member
Feb 29, 2012
127 posts
17 upvotes
Trenton
bhrm wrote:
Oct 5th, 2016 12:30 pm
Don't worry about stating your ability to lead yet, you're still a student however by proving you have great co-op experience so far is good enough.

I'm assuming this resume is for your next co-op search?

The third person part doesn't bother me and I'm not sure how i feel about it yet. LOL. But it's not awful!

Honestly your resume is perfectly fine written as is, but take a look at fancy technical resumes like this: https://www.visualcv.com/www/examples/project-manager/


jark99 wrote:
Oct 5th, 2016 10:56 am
bhrm wrote:
Oct 5th, 2016 9:33 am
Not sure how I feel about the third person content, however I don't strongly feel for or against it. It's not awful but it's not something that impresses me however it doesn't ruin your resume.

I would shorten your TD content, make sure you label all your co-op positions. Don't call yourself a BA/IT leader, you're not there yet. Looks good otherwise!
Thank you for the quick reply! Ive labeled all my co-ops so far, one question I had is my descriptions for OPG and Sunlife too similar to a job description? I got strong feedback regarding this from another member, and he wanted me to reference more or what i did in the role, instead of a job description-esque type of bullets.

Secondly, how would I better word my ability to lead and develop projects without saying I'm a leader yet? As I do not have the experience just yet, but very ambitious to go that route

Lastly, would you recommend I change my third person format? Perhaps remove it, move core competencies up to top first page? Or change all to first person view?

Thank you for the critique, I truly do appreciate this :)
Bhrm, I made some changes and took quite a few people's advice from here. I re-arranged the resume quite a bit, removed the third person analogies, and condensed the resume. Whats your opinion on this revision vs. the old one in the page before? Thanks

Image
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 3, 2006
10252 posts
641 upvotes
Toronto
What does it say about a recruiter when they ignore the warning on my LinkedIn profile not to contact me or else they'll be ignored and contact me anyways?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2475 posts
417 upvotes
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
Oct 19th, 2016 9:07 pm
What does it say about a recruiter when they ignore the warning on my LinkedIn profile not to contact me or else they'll be ignored and contact me anyways?
Poor attention to detail, don't care, not reading your profile anyways, want to be your new BFF...

...hey was it me that tried to invite you???
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2475 posts
417 upvotes
Looks solid. Would hire 10/10
jark99 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2016 7:48 pm
bhrm wrote:
Oct 5th, 2016 12:30 pm
Don't worry about stating your ability to lead yet, you're still a student however by proving you have great co-op experience so far is good enough.

I'm assuming this resume is for your next co-op search?

The third person part doesn't bother me and I'm not sure how i feel about it yet. LOL. But it's not awful!

Honestly your resume is perfectly fine written as is, but take a look at fancy technical resumes like this: https://www.visualcv.com/www/examples/project-manager/


jark99 wrote:
Oct 5th, 2016 10:56 am


Thank you for the quick reply! Ive labeled all my co-ops so far, one question I had is my descriptions for OPG and Sunlife too similar to a job description? I got strong feedback regarding this from another member, and he wanted me to reference more or what i did in the role, instead of a job description-esque type of bullets.

Secondly, how would I better word my ability to lead and develop projects without saying I'm a leader yet? As I do not have the experience just yet, but very ambitious to go that route

Lastly, would you recommend I change my third person format? Perhaps remove it, move core competencies up to top first page? Or change all to first person view?

Thank you for the critique, I truly do appreciate this :)
Bhrm, I made some changes and took quite a few people's advice from here. I re-arranged the resume quite a bit, removed the third person analogies, and condensed the resume. Whats your opinion on this revision vs. the old one in the page before? Thanks

Image
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2475 posts
417 upvotes
Update to this thread!

As of next week I'll be a Corporate Recruiter! I won't have as much time to be on RFD but will check once in a while, and do my best to help out RFDers.

I will be recruiting for a major tech company seeking candidates with comp sci, engineering, physics/math-heads!

My new place knows about RFD...and probably looking at this right now. Hi!
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2091 posts
214 upvotes
Question about interview: I applied to the company website and got called by the recruiter. I got a phone interview. Two weeks later I got an inperson interview with 4 people. The interview was suppose to be 1 hour long, only lasted 25min (is this a bad sign)
Second Question: Should I send a "Thank you letter" to all 4 people?
Member
Aug 8, 2010
280 posts
30 upvotes
bhrm wrote:
Oct 20th, 2016 11:44 am
Update to this thread!

As of next week I'll be a Corporate Recruiter! I won't have as much time to be on RFD but will check once in a while, and do my best to help out RFDers.

I will be recruiting for a major tech company seeking candidates with comp sci, engineering, physics/math-heads!

My new place knows about RFD...and probably looking at this right now. Hi!
Congratulation!

ops...do you think the recruiter in my post will look at here too?
what-sudden-turn-event-salary-discussio ... w-2048124/

Please take a look of my post. What have I done wrong? do I really have an attitude problem? is my salary expectation too high?

Please don't take offence of what I said about that HR lady. no every recruiter is the same. I have been working with some very professional and nice recruiters.

Most of all, what do you suggest I can do to rescue the situation. Thanks in advance!
Member
May 9, 2012
460 posts
75 upvotes
SF Bay Area
out of curiosity, how is the recruiter compensated?

Rumor has at my company, recruiters gets 30% of the new hire's annual salary. If that's really the case I need to seriously consider about a change of career. My company hires about 200/week.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2475 posts
417 upvotes
Without reading all 5 pages and not knowing you personally, as a recruiter my first reaction is "oh gawd here we go again".

Compensation is a tricky topic however you honestly need to be realistic. Temp vs permanent comp vs US and Canada. Unless your skill is rare and you are a super star, don't expect to make it rain.

Keep in mind its not just you, or the recruiter, but one thing recruiters and HR want to keep in check is ensuring pay equity within an org.


1000islands wrote:
Oct 24th, 2016 4:05 pm
bhrm wrote:
Oct 20th, 2016 11:44 am
Update to this thread!

As of next week I'll be a Corporate Recruiter! I won't have as much time to be on RFD but will check once in a while, and do my best to help out RFDers.

I will be recruiting for a major tech company seeking candidates with comp sci, engineering, physics/math-heads!

My new place knows about RFD...and probably looking at this right now. Hi!
Congratulation!

ops...do you think the recruiter in my post will look at here too?
what-sudden-turn-event-salary-discussio ... w-2048124/

Please take a look of my post. What have I done wrong? do I really have an attitude problem? is my salary expectation too high?

Please don't take offence of what I said about that HR lady. no every recruiter is the same. I have been working with some very professional and nice recruiters.

Most of all, what do you suggest I can do to rescue the situation. Thanks in advance!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2475 posts
417 upvotes
Without reading all 5 pages and not knowing you personally, as a recruiter my first reaction is "oh gawd here we go again".

Compensation is a tricky topic however you honestly need to be realistic. Temp vs permanent comp vs US and Canada. Unless your skill is rare and you are a super star, don't expect to make it rain.

Keep in mind its not just you, or the recruiter, but one thing recruiters and HR want to keep in check is ensuring pay equity within an org.


1000islands wrote:
Oct 24th, 2016 4:05 pm
bhrm wrote:
Oct 20th, 2016 11:44 am
Update to this thread!

As of next week I'll be a Corporate Recruiter! I won't have as much time to be on RFD but will check once in a while, and do my best to help out RFDers.

I will be recruiting for a major tech company seeking candidates with comp sci, engineering, physics/math-heads!

My new place knows about RFD...and probably looking at this right now. Hi!
Congratulation!

ops...do you think the recruiter in my post will look at here too?
what-sudden-turn-event-salary-discussio ... w-2048124/

Please take a look of my post. What have I done wrong? do I really have an attitude problem? is my salary expectation too high?

Please don't take offence of what I said about that HR lady. no every recruiter is the same. I have been working with some very professional and nice recruiters.

Most of all, what do you suggest I can do to rescue the situation. Thanks in advance!

Top