Careers

Ask a Recruiter Anything (interview tips, resume, recruiters in general)

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2017 12:03 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2429 posts
390 upvotes
Yes we make it look sexy and easy but in all honesty, it's a wild roller coaster to even close a job. I'm assuming you're referring to agency recruiters and yes rates can be 15-30%. 30% is on the high side and usually for difficult or near impossible searches....30% to me is "YIKES...this going to be a wild one". Also 30% or whatever the fee is, doesn't all fall into your pocket, a good chunk goes to 'house' cut. A good month of billing is awesome but you could also get 6-8 months of disasters or zeroes...

Do keep in mind job orders don't just show up to your desk like magic, recruitment is like 70% fail fail fail and maybe 30% close and make money. It's a tough industry and there's a reason why companies are willing to pay high fees to recruiters, because it's tough to begin with.
If it was that easy, everyone would be doing it!
pltz77 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2016 1:46 am
out of curiosity, how is the recruiter compensated?

Rumor has at my company, recruiters gets 30% of the new hire's annual salary. If that's really the case I need to seriously consider about a change of career. My company hires about 200/week.
Newbie
Mar 16, 2013
64 posts
15 upvotes
Hi bhrm,

My significant other is currently working as a Document Controller in Calgary with one of the major O&G companies. She is trying to find a similar position on the East Coast (any industry) as I have relocated here permanently. There are a couple positions that seem to be asking for exactly the experience that she has, not to mention the tens of thousands of dollars in training she has received from her current company, yet she cannot get an interview with any of them. We both feel that her resume is solid otherwise she wouldn't be in her current position. I'm wondering whether using her Calgary address on her CV, in an attempt to be honest about having to relocate, is the thing that's killing her chances?

Should she use my new address? If so, what would she say when a company asks her to come in for an interview. I'd imagine most would consider that deceptive.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2429 posts
390 upvotes
EEE2 wrote:
Oct 24th, 2016 3:28 pm
Question about interview: I applied to the company website and got called by the recruiter. I got a phone interview. Two weeks later I got an inperson interview with 4 people. The interview was suppose to be 1 hour long, only lasted 25min (is this a bad sign)
Second Question: Should I send a "Thank you letter" to all 4 people?
Sorry missed your question!

I would just send the thank you to the recruiter to pass along to the 4 people.

25 minutes can mean anything, usually they may say please budget for up to 1 hour. Some hiring managers make their decision already in the first 10 minutes.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2429 posts
390 upvotes
Not deceptive at all, especially she has reason and serious intent to relocate and can do so on her own abilities!

As long as she can make the interview on short notice, is totally okay in my books. In my previous role, I did not discount Calgarians but instead I email and ask "what's your plans and intent? Where are you? Can you make it in-person on your own?". If people reply "No I can only do skype and willing to fly in only upon offer" then i say no thx kbye. However if they say, "hey i'm just sending out feelers however I will be dropping by Toronto in a few months, please keep in touch". Definitely I keep in touch and have met/placed people that way!


CWillz wrote:
Oct 26th, 2016 7:11 am
Hi bhrm,

My significant other is currently working as a Document Controller in Calgary with one of the major O&G companies. She is trying to find a similar position on the East Coast (any industry) as I have relocated here permanently. There are a couple positions that seem to be asking for exactly the experience that she has, not to mention the tens of thousands of dollars in training she has received from her current company, yet she cannot get an interview with any of them. We both feel that her resume is solid otherwise she wouldn't be in her current position. I'm wondering whether using her Calgary address on her CV, in an attempt to be honest about having to relocate, is the thing that's killing her chances?

Should she use my new address? If so, what would she say when a company asks her to come in for an interview. I'd imagine most would consider that deceptive.
Member
Aug 8, 2010
280 posts
29 upvotes
bhrm wrote:
Oct 25th, 2016 7:12 pm
Without reading all 5 pages and not knowing you personally, as a recruiter my first reaction is "oh gawd here we go again".

Compensation is a tricky topic however you honestly need to be realistic. Temp vs permanent comp vs US and Canada. Unless your skill is rare and you are a super star, don't expect to make it rain.

Keep in mind its not just you, or the recruiter, but one thing recruiters and HR want to keep in check is ensuring pay equity within an org.


Thanks for responding.

so I called and was told they decided to fill it internally. Why is that? why they just played people like that? so unethical. they don't have the curtesy to tell me until I asked.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2055 posts
205 upvotes
I sent my thank you letter my only concern if I got their emails correct.
Newbie
Mar 16, 2013
64 posts
15 upvotes
Thanks!

I'll suggest that she begin using my current address in future applications. Unfortunately by East Coast I literally mean *coast* so last minute flights between YYC and YYT are ~$900 but I suppose it would be worth it if it results in securing a position.

bhrm wrote:
Oct 26th, 2016 12:31 pm
Not deceptive at all, especially she has reason and serious intent to relocate and can do so on her own abilities!

As long as she can make the interview on short notice, is totally okay in my books.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2055 posts
205 upvotes
I didn't get the job. So I guess sending different thank you letter to each one was a bad idea.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2429 posts
390 upvotes
To be honest, recruiters and HR are usually swamped and not all of us have a second to spare on RFD!

I usually tell my candidates to check in with me because I may forget to get back to them. I invite candidates to spam my email if necessary and I promise to reply within 24 hours, or LinkedIn Messenger.

Best is to just ask recruiter "what is the best way to follow up with you?"
1000islands wrote:
Oct 26th, 2016 1:59 pm
bhrm wrote:
Oct 25th, 2016 7:12 pm
Without reading all 5 pages and not knowing you personally, as a recruiter my first reaction is "oh gawd here we go again".

Compensation is a tricky topic however you honestly need to be realistic. Temp vs permanent comp vs US and Canada. Unless your skill is rare and you are a super star, don't expect to make it rain.

Keep in mind its not just you, or the recruiter, but one thing recruiters and HR want to keep in check is ensuring pay equity within an org.


Thanks for responding.

so I called and was told they decided to fill it internally. Why is that? why they just played people like that? so unethical. they don't have the curtesy to tell me until I asked.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2429 posts
390 upvotes
bump!

To further add to my last post, holy cow corporate recruiting is busy!

Ask me anything! Whether be by posting here or PMing, i'm doing my best to answer as soon as I can but things are crazy. It's crunch time for companies to get their headcount approvals filled!
Newbie
Sep 13, 2016
23 posts
Hi bhrm! Would you say interviews for contract positions are less intense than for regular full-time positions? Also, what specific questions can one expect interviewing for an entry level position in recruitment/talent aqcuisition?
Thanks!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2429 posts
390 upvotes
mla5253 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2016 9:25 am
Hi bhrm! Would you say interviews for contract positions are less intense than for regular full-time positions? Also, what specific questions can one expect interviewing for an entry level position in recruitment/talent aqcuisition?
Thanks!
I would say just the same intensity but questions may focus on different things, depending on the intention of the contract.

Entry level recruitment? Ability to multitask, communication skills, juggling priorities, fight fires, dealing with daily crazy situations, and on top of everything.....staying organized.
Newbie
Nov 8, 2016
30 posts
Hi Bhrm,

I'm in situation where I have to decide whether to leave my existing job ( 15 years) as I feel I will be well paid ( +20k) if I apply for similar position outside my company. I'm bit reluctant to leave my job as it is stable and don't see any sign of staff reduction etc ( also will get a good package if there is any lay off). I see some of my junior co workers left the company and now they are even paid more than what I'm currently earning.. What things should I have to consider to make such decisions ? ( I'm not contributing into any company pension plan etc except ccp)... any thoughts/comments would greatly be appreciated
Jr. Member
Jul 21, 2016
172 posts
7 upvotes
bhrm wrote:
Oct 26th, 2016 12:31 pm
"No I can only do skype and willing to fly in only upon offer" then i say no thx kbye.
Why you say no thanks bye? Why not just interview over skype? It is a face-to-face (as in you can see the candidates face) interview.

Top