Careers

Ask a Recruiter Anything (interview tips, resume, recruiters in general)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2017 7:53 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2252 posts
323 upvotes
vlxj45 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2016 11:50 pm
Hi OP,
Would like to hear your insight on my situation..
I recently went for an interview recruiter had set up for me and received an offer and accepted.
Only reason I went for the interview was because recruiter convinced me this organization is growing and there is potential to transition into role I wanted.
My recruiter is very aware I wasn't interested in moving to another company for the same role.

1) I had interview for the same position I am currently in.
2) Strongly revealed my interest in eventually transitioning into another role to HR manager.
3) Received offer via recruiter and he had mentioned HR manager understands my career goals and has "plans" to transition me to new role after 3-6 months.

I had chance to talk to HR manager again to thank her for the offer and to discuss start date. I mentioned about the "plans" just to make sure we are on the same page. HR manager said she can't promise me anything nor she made any promises to my recruiter.

At this point I'm out of options as I have already accepted the offer. Unfortunately, I'm not 100% certain I have made right decision.
Is it possible to turn down offer at this point?

Much appreciated
There is nothing certain in life but death and taxes!

I don't use the word "promise", ever in my discussions. I say "possibilities", or contingent on factors (budget, business strategy), or "when the stars align". HR Manager is not in a position to promise anything, let alone make something happen, nor should they agree to things they cannot guarantee. I point to facts and possibilities so people see the situation logically and objectively.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2252 posts
323 upvotes
Istillwanttodoit wrote:
Nov 29th, 2016 7:14 pm
Thank you for the reply.

Would you be able to tell me how long it generally takes to reach 300 applicants? a) one day? b) two days? c) three days?
Depends on the recruiter....these questions are getting a bit specific now....

It could take me an hour or a week, depends how busy I am and how important that job is.
Aug 27, 2015
14 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Hey OP, I have been applying to banks for entry level banking positions ever since I completed my CSC (2013). I graduated with decent grades from a community college (being the first one to attend college) and I recently ended up working for CIBC.

Every time I apply to jobs, I get the typical email, "we have gone with other candidates who closely meet our qualifications." I only apply to jobs when I meet all the requirements and I still get rejected. I've had my resume professionally written and I am still failing to land interviews to the jobs I want. During the past 3 years I landed a few interviews and always got eliminated in the 3rd round.

In the 3rd round the recruiter normally says, "we have gone with an internal candidate".

My question: What could I be doing possibly wrong that's preventing them to contact me?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2252 posts
323 upvotes
ShayanQ402 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2016 1:44 pm
Hey OP, I have been applying to banks for entry level banking positions ever since I completed my CSC (2013). I graduated with decent grades from a community college (being the first one to attend college) and I recently ended up working for CIBC.

Every time I apply to jobs, I get the typical email, "we have gone with other candidates who closely meet our qualifications." I only apply to jobs when I meet all the requirements and I still get rejected. I've had my resume professionally written and I am still failing to land interviews to the jobs I want. During the past 3 years I landed a few interviews and always got eliminated in the 3rd round.

In the 3rd round the recruiter normally says, "we have gone with an internal candidate".

My question: What could I be doing possibly wrong that's preventing them to contact me?
Sorry for the late reply!
Not sure! Could be a lot of factors or simply lots of other qualified candidates. At least you are getting to the 3rd round! That's very very close.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2252 posts
323 upvotes
Bump!

I've been hiding since December was an insane month for me here at work.

Bumping if you have any questions about corporate and agency recruiters. Currently I'm in a corporate environment with a large global company recruiting for technology and R&D, and in the past 10 years a lot of finance and accounting!
Nov 19, 2014
582 posts
120 upvotes
Why are most recruiters female? Especially recruiters for tech companies or agencies that contract to tech?

It seems the vast majority of tech recruiters at Amazon or Microsoft are
1) white or asian female
2) likely from a sorority
3) liberal arts or social science degree

At the sourcing or recruiting coordinator level, they also tend to be age 22-30. At agencies I might see 1 guy for every 10 females.

Is this done purposely at hiring?
I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2252 posts
323 upvotes
Corner3 wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 10:59 am
Why are most recruiters female? Especially recruiters for tech companies or agencies that contract to tech?

It seems the vast majority of tech recruiters at Amazon or Microsoft are
1) white or asian female
2) likely from a sorority
3) liberal arts or social science degree

At the sourcing or recruiting coordinator level, they also tend to be age 22-30. At agencies I might see 1 guy for every 10 females.

Is this done purposely at hiring?
Seriously bro? Don't know how to answer that. It just happens to be?

My team here just happens to be pretty even, it just happens to be. Just hire the best qualified candidate no matter if they're male, female, trans, bi, whatever.

Does it bother you that most are female?
Nov 19, 2014
582 posts
120 upvotes
bhrm wrote:
Feb 8th, 2017 10:47 am
Seriously bro? Don't know how to answer that. It just happens to be?

My team here just happens to be pretty even, it just happens to be. Just hire the best qualified candidate no matter if they're male, female, trans, bi, whatever.

Does it bother you that most are female?
It's a career with high pay at the high end. Recruiters also get top-notch benefits at the companies like Google or Microsoft.

Unlike other professions that pay similar, they have it a lot easier. Unlike the Engineers at Google or Microsoft, it's hard for them to "screw-up." They already work for a big-name company, recruiting is just the formality of "filling" correctly from their constantly available pool of applicants. Figure out who is qualified for an interview for the same jobs week after week is not "difficult" compared to other jobs with the same pay/benefits. Whereas, a bad Engineer in those same companies would be exposed in a couple of months (basically, once people see his code and mistakes).

They don't need malpractice insurance like Doctors or Lawyers. Doctors and lawyers are also liable to an ethics board. It's also very obvious when a Doctor or Lawyer screws up.

A doctor or lawyer or programmer could probably fill a recruiter's position if necessary with training. The reverse can't be said.

It's definitely a lucrative career. It's often times not mentioned when the argument comes to how a lot of lucrative professions go to men. I especially feel that tech recruiting industry blocks a lot of Asian males.
I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."
Sep 20, 2016
10 posts
Hi and thanks for taking the time answering our questions,

As a candidate, when interviewing how important is the delivery of my answers when you consider my marketability? Does different companies ask for different "personalities" or would I do best just to try to stick with one style?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2252 posts
323 upvotes
bastakaskan wrote:
Feb 9th, 2017 1:09 pm
Hi and thanks for taking the time answering our questions,

As a candidate, when interviewing how important is the delivery of my answers when you consider my marketability? Does different companies ask for different "personalities" or would I do best just to try to stick with one style?
Be yourself is easy to start. Delivery of answers should always be clear and concise. A lot of interviews like the STAR method but really treat the interview and your responses like telling a good story.

Know your audience, if they're not technical, don't flood them with technical terms. If they are corporate and quite formal, funny jokes may not be appropriate.
Sep 20, 2016
10 posts
I'll have to admit that I've been guilty of being to technical when giving answers in interviews sometimes. As someone in finance/accounting I find it's one of the few areas that you can make yourself stand out in (I don't work in the front office).

What 3 questions related to one's own character do you think are the most important to be able to answer elaborately in an interview?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2252 posts
323 upvotes
bastakaskan wrote:
Feb 9th, 2017 4:02 pm
I'll have to admit that I've been guilty of being to technical when giving answers in interviews sometimes. As someone in finance/accounting I find it's one of the few areas that you can make yourself stand out in (I don't work in the front office).

What 3 questions related to one's own character do you think are the most important to be able to answer elaborately in an interview?
1. Dealing with ambiguity: What are your strategies to figure out conflicting information, bad data, or instructions given by a manager that make zero sense
2. Dealing with priorities: Ability to realize not everything is top priority and you're not a magician and being able to clearly communicate expectations to stakeholders
3. What makes you happy? Telling interviewers what in the work makes you happy. Whether solving 36 months of AR, or reconciling 150 bank accounts, or discovering expense system never worked properly since the beginning of time.
Dec 28, 2009
709 posts
87 upvotes
Hey OP,
I am having trouble getting even an interview for Supply Chain/Procurement roles and it's getting frustrating for me. I admit that I don't have the exact experience that employers are looking for but if you break down the individual skills, I have them. For instance they mention analytical, project management or collaboration skills are what they look for in qualified candidates. I have them but in roles that aren't related to supply chain. Do you have any advice for me as to how I can get a job? I just finished my masters degree focusing on SCM but it seems like it's not doing much good right now.

Your help and wisdom would be greatly appreciated in this frustrating phase!
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2014
1374 posts
106 upvotes
Hamilton
English is not my first language and noticed I tend to freeze or stumble sometimes during the interview.

Is it true recruiter will know within 30 seconds if you are good candidate? How do selections work?

What does parallel interview means? What if you are not sure about the question being asked?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2252 posts
323 upvotes
omega11 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2017 2:33 am
Hey OP,
I am having trouble getting even an interview for Supply Chain/Procurement roles and it's getting frustrating for me. I admit that I don't have the exact experience that employers are looking for but if you break down the individual skills, I have them. For instance they mention analytical, project management or collaboration skills are what they look for in qualified candidates. I have them but in roles that aren't related to supply chain. Do you have any advice for me as to how I can get a job? I just finished my masters degree focusing on SCM but it seems like it's not doing much good right now.

Your help and wisdom would be greatly appreciated in this frustrating phase!
What are your answers to those types of questions? Maybe they are looking to see how you would demonstrate those skills? Or examples from school? It's better than answering "i haven't had hands on analytical experience"

I'll PM you something later.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel