Careers

Ask a Recruiter Anything (interview tips, resume, recruiters in general)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2017 12:03 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2454 posts
406 upvotes
Practice! Of course ideally not in live interviews. Look into something like Toastmasters or practice with friends.

First impressions have to be strong to make those 30 seconds count! Your first hello, handshake, and introduction sets the tone for the whole interview.

Parallel as in several interviewers for same stage? Or a panel interview? Not sure.
tester85 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2017 5:27 am
English is not my first language and noticed I tend to freeze or stumble sometimes during the interview.

Is it true recruiter will know within 30 seconds if you are good candidate? How do selections work?

What does parallel interview means? What if you are not sure about the question being asked?
Dec 28, 2009
714 posts
87 upvotes
bhrm wrote:
Feb 13th, 2017 7:44 am
What are your answers to those types of questions? Maybe they are looking to see how you would demonstrate those skills? Or examples from school? It's better than answering "i haven't had hands on analytical experience"

I'll PM you something later.
Thanks bhrm! I will look forward to your PM.
Sep 20, 2016
10 posts
Hi again,
I have one last question, that came up in discussion with some immigrant friends:

What's the base level of formality in a Canadian cover letter? As a European i feel a bit dirty when being told to write how deeply impressed i am by company X (which might make, albeit great, toilet rolls and tampons), is this an expected formality? What if I do not know what company it is? Would it be a good thing to just describe in general terms why you like to work with what you do (and applied for)?

Cheers
Aug 5, 2009
85 posts
Markham
if i set up a company and sign a independent contractor agreement with the consulting company,
and that company sub contract me to a client. Can I work for the client directly after the agreement ends?
Aug 5, 2009
85 posts
Markham
also,
i was hired full time with a consulting company.
I got terminated and there is a non competition clause on the contract I signed.
It says I cannot work for their associate clients for like 12 months post termination.
I just wonder if it applies even I got terminated?

Also, If I set up a company and my company signs a contract with another consulting company which subcontracts me to my previous employer's client as a consultant,
does that go against the non competition clause?

Thanks,
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2454 posts
406 upvotes
Cover letters i only read the good ones or the horrid ones. A good one is simple and to the point, a cover email is better I think. 3-4 sentences and complete contact info.

What I like to do, more so with agency world, was search inside my inbox. Sometimes i do forget names but i remember tidbits like "that accountant with experience at that place and he can do that stuff!", that stuff should be in the cover email.
bastakaskan wrote:
Feb 16th, 2017 4:52 pm
Hi again,
I have one last question, that came up in discussion with some immigrant friends:

What's the base level of formality in a Canadian cover letter? As a European i feel a bit dirty when being told to write how deeply impressed i am by company X (which might make, albeit great, toilet rolls and tampons), is this an expected formality? What if I do not know what company it is? Would it be a good thing to just describe in general terms why you like to work with what you do (and applied for)?

Cheers
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2454 posts
406 upvotes
Yes and really tread carefully. On one hand, it really depends if the original company wants to go after you...the other hand, you gotta eat and you gotta feed your family!

bombers408 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2017 7:50 pm
also,
i was hired full time with a consulting company.
I got terminated and there is a non competition clause on the contract I signed.
It says I cannot work for their associate clients for like 12 months post termination.
I just wonder if it applies even I got terminated?

Also, If I set up a company and my company signs a contract with another consulting company which subcontracts me to my previous employer's client as a consultant,
does that go against the non competition clause?

Thanks,
Oct 10, 2016
9 posts
3 upvotes
If Candidate A have a interview for example Monday at 9am, and Candidate B have the interview Thrusday at 11, that means that candidate A is favorite over the other candidates or the order doesn't have any relevance?

Is it good to ask in a Co-op position the following question... Is any opportunity of job offer after this co-op position?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2454 posts
406 upvotes
wendy00 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2017 5:10 pm
If Candidate A have a interview for example Monday at 9am, and Candidate B have the interview Thrusday at 11, that means that candidate A is favorite over the other candidates or the order doesn't have any relevance?

Is it good to ask in a Co-op position the following question... Is any opportunity of job offer after this co-op position?
1. Nope, means nothing. Favourites aren't decided until interviews are done.
2. No one can promise the future. It's not a really good question. Most of employers use co-op to hire the best students to secure the best new grads.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
39611 posts
8987 upvotes
Just read this thread in its entirety.

Although I have a lot of preparation to do for an interview in less than two weeks, the pointers here kinda helped me gain a little bit more confidence that interviewers usually don't waste the interviewees' time and there is really no way to know if they've already chosen an earlier candidate for the job and are just going through the motions.

I will prepare my best and after, just expect the worst.

Thanks Bhrm for all your time and help.
Last edited by alanbrenton on Mar 3rd, 2017 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 19, 2014
860 posts
237 upvotes
Your thoughts on this?
Reitz, who completed his undergraduate and graduate degrees in the United States and has conducted numerous studies comparing race relations in the two North American countries, says this kind of discrimination is prevalent in the U.S. as well. "It's a very intense belief that we're a multicultural country in the way that the U.S. is not. But it's not terribly different in the two countries," said Reitz.
he study found that job applicants in Canada with Asian names — names of Indian, Pakistani or Chinese origin — were 28 percent less likely to get called for an interview compared to applicants with Anglo names, even when all the qualifications were the same. Researchers used data from a previous study conducted in 2011 where they sent out 12,910 fictitious resumes in response to 3,225 job postings. The previous study, also in Canada, similarly found that applicants with Anglo first names and Asian last names didn't fare much better than applicants with Asian first and last names.
http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/ ... iews-still
I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."
Jan 17, 2017
11 posts
1 upvote
Recruiter emailed me regarding "Our Provincial Government client is looking for a detail oriented and focused File Clerk for a temporary 2+ month assignment in downtown Toronto." but doesn't list how much it is paid and would not tell me until I met with them in person. Should I expect minimum wage?
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3773 posts
1005 upvotes
jtramo wrote:
Mar 4th, 2017 3:52 pm
Recruiter emailed me regarding "Our Provincial Government client is looking for a detail oriented and focused File Clerk for a temporary 2+ month assignment in downtown Toronto." but doesn't list how much it is paid and would not tell me until I met with them in person. Should I expect minimum wage?
I know an agency that deals with a provincial government client in Toronto. Here is a posting from them:

http://www.quantum.ca/details.aspx?ln=e ... =1:4:52160

This suggests $16/hour and up.

If someone is offering you less, they are likely pocketing the difference. Of course, Quantum already makes money on $16/hour placements.
Oct 16, 2012
55 posts
2 upvotes
Ontario
Hi bhrm,

I am just wondering does it make a difference to a recruiter for designation of CFE (Certified Fraud Examiner - US) and CFI (Certified Forensic Investigator - Canada)? I just need some advice on this.

Thanks.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2454 posts
406 upvotes
I'm not 100% certain but it may be required for legal cases in Canada, to build a case by a certified person.