Careers

Ask a Recruiter Anything (interview tips, resume, recruiters in general)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2018 12:53 pm
Tags:
None
May 12, 2011
291 posts
48 upvotes
TORONTO
Question about resume-scanning software and job postings.

I work in a niche field. Most people have never heard of it and would need a 20-minute session to begin to understand it (but they are usually not that interested!).

With some of the job postings in my field, you can tell that they were written by someone who doesn't know about it. Probably by an HR person who fills all kinds of jobs and doesn't have time to learn about them all. The problem is, the postings don't make sense. E.g. They list redundant, contradictory or outdated requirements, or the requirements are missing something that should be there (such as current technologies). So, it's difficult to write a resume that gets enough "hits" for keywords, without cramming them in. Should I just cram them in? What about info that is relevant to the job, and an important part of my experience, but won't get picked up in a keyword match because it's not in the posting?

Thanks!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2625 posts
467 upvotes
pinkpearl wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 3:46 pm
Question about resume-scanning software and job postings.

I work in a niche field. Most people have never heard of it and would need a 20-minute session to begin to understand it (but they are usually not that interested!).

With some of the job postings in my field, you can tell that they were written by someone who doesn't know about it. Probably by an HR person who fills all kinds of jobs and doesn't have time to learn about them all. The problem is, the postings don't make sense. E.g. They list redundant, contradictory or outdated requirements, or the requirements are missing something that should be there (such as current technologies). So, it's difficult to write a resume that gets enough "hits" for keywords, without cramming them in. Should I just cram them in? What about info that is relevant to the job, and an important part of my experience, but won't get picked up in a keyword match because it's not in the posting?

Thanks!
What niche field is it? Wonder if it's the same as my field...which is very niche and extremely high in demand.

If it's super niche, they probably would not be using resume scanning software. I deal with all my applications by hand (story of my life...) because people throw keywords without real experience behind it.
May 12, 2011
291 posts
48 upvotes
TORONTO
Niche enough that it's a little doxxy to say what it is :)

But scanning software is definitely being used, along with a whole online application form. Often the job is in a large organization that has a big HR dept and rigid hiring processes. Some job postings are clearly copy-and-pasted from old ones or another company's. I compare notes with other jobseekers in my niche and we've all noticed it and have had similar problems trying to work around it.

Any ideas?
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
2472 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
Hey OP. So I got a verbal offer including a start date from a recruiter for a government position. Later on she backtracked saying the client went with another candidate. She did tell me that they were having problems getting around the "clearance" since I had worked in the US previously (the position required you had to be in Canada the last x years). I'm thinking the recruiter should have known that before submitting me. Do I have any recourse?
Oct 16, 2012
55 posts
2 upvotes
Ontario
bhrm wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 2:07 pm
I'm not 100% certain but it may be required for legal cases in Canada, to build a case by a certified person.
Thanks bhrm.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2625 posts
467 upvotes
1m2n3b4b6b wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 5:57 pm
Hey OP. So I got a verbal offer including a start date from a recruiter for a government position. Later on she backtracked saying the client went with another candidate. She did tell me that they were having problems getting around the "clearance" since I had worked in the US previously (the position required you had to be in Canada the last x years). I'm thinking the recruiter should have known that before submitting me. Do I have any recourse?
Nope sorry. Recruiter should've done their homework first. We tend to get overexcited when we find someone awesome and forget our due diligence. We're only human! #dontlettherobotsreplaceus
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2625 posts
467 upvotes
pinkpearl wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 5:22 pm
Niche enough that it's a little doxxy to say what it is :)

But scanning software is definitely being used, along with a whole online application form. Often the job is in a large organization that has a big HR dept and rigid hiring processes. Some job postings are clearly copy-and-pasted from old ones or another company's. I compare notes with other jobseekers in my niche and we've all noticed it and have had similar problems trying to work around it.

Any ideas?
I don't deal with that particular team at my company but let me know if you're interested and I can pass you along to my colleague who does! My company is full of niches :)

Also, sounds like their HR/recruiters suck.
Jul 21, 2016
172 posts
7 upvotes
Dear BHRM,

I doubt you deal with many insurance underwriter positions, but I am curious based on your experience:

Are there more applicants to 1) Financial Analyst (Internal Accounting not finance) positions or 2) Underwriter positions ( not personal lines).

Also is there a way I can tell how many people viewed/applied to Indeed postings?

Thanks.

ISWTDI
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2625 posts
467 upvotes
Why do you want to do Insurance Underwriting if you're an accountant? I have not recruited underwriters ever.

There's obviously more underwriting opportunities out there because it's a position that's dependent on the volume of business.

You still want to do it?
Istillwanttodoit wrote:
May 26th, 2017 1:03 pm
Dear BHRM,

I doubt you deal with many insurance underwriter positions, but I am curious based on your experience:

Are there more applicants to 1) Financial Analyst (Internal Accounting not finance) positions or 2) Underwriter positions ( not personal lines).

Also is there a way I can tell how many people viewed/applied to Indeed postings?

Thanks.

ISWTDI
Jul 21, 2016
172 posts
7 upvotes
bhrm wrote:
May 26th, 2017 1:28 pm
Why do you want to do Insurance Underwriting if you're an accountant? I have not recruited underwriters ever.

There's obviously more underwriting opportunities out there because it's a position that's dependent on the volume of business.

You still want to do it?
Thanks for the reply.

I was asking if there were more applicants to a 1) Financial Analyst versus 2) Insurance Underwriting role? ie. Which would be easier to attain, all other factors held constant?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2625 posts
467 upvotes
Istillwanttodoit wrote:
May 26th, 2017 1:41 pm
Thanks for the reply.

I was asking if there were more applicants to a 1) Financial Analyst versus 2) Insurance Underwriting role? ie. Which would be easier to attain, all other factors held constant?
Those are two very different jobs, and Insurance Underwriting i believe is easier to attain.
Jul 21, 2016
172 posts
7 upvotes
bhrm wrote:
May 26th, 2017 1:57 pm
Those are two very different jobs, and Insurance Underwriting i believe is easier to attain.
Thank you for taking the time to reply BHRM, I always savour reading your posts.

What lead you to believe Insurance Underwriting is easier to obtain?

Thanks,

ISWTDI
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2625 posts
467 upvotes
Istillwanttodoit wrote:
May 27th, 2017 9:15 pm
Thank you for taking the time to reply BHRM, I always savour reading your posts.

What lead you to believe Insurance Underwriting is easier to obtain?

Thanks,

ISWTDI
The jobs require just a degree in business, and the insurance certificate (whichever relevant, life/property/commercial).

However to be good at it comes with experience! Attention to detail is paramount, analytical skills, negotiation, and staying organized.

Seriously depends on your strengths and interests, the two jobs you asked for are quite different to be honest. I think you should find an Underwriter who just started out in their career to chat to see if it's right for you.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2625 posts
467 upvotes
Bump! It's been a while and it's a slightly less crazy week for me at work right now.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
4246 posts
1310 upvotes
What's your take on soft-landing candidates who are less than ideal.

I have heard the old "hiring manager is going on vacation" spiel many times.

Do you think it is underhanded to not tell a candidate who apparently isn't top of the top that they didn't get a position after an interview?

A friend heard that for the first time after a third interview three weeks ago and I didn't have the heart to tell him he didn't get it.