Careers

Ask a Recruiter Anything (interview tips, resume, recruiters in general)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2018 12:53 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2625 posts
467 upvotes
Etabol wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 12:27 am
HI bhrm

I am hoping for some advice and feedback on this. I am helping a family member get a job (basic minimum wage jobs). We applied for many jobs for a few weeks and got no response. Applied to an agency and then got something in a day or two.

Here is the situation:
-Went to agency for interview and was asked to fill out a bunch of forms. Turns out it was a bunch of registration forms to join them.
-The next day they said to come to the client job site for orientation. Job will begin the following monday.

1. That same next day, a bunch of job offers came in, 4 actually that were from NON-agency. So these jobs will be direct hire for full time. If we were to accept one of these and bail on the agency temp job, how does this work? We just email/call them and say bye?
2. The forms we signed with the agency and acceptance of the assignment, would we be in trouble should we bail 2 days before starting the temp job?
3. Talking about minimum wage jobs. What is the likely chance these employers would hire the temp within the 6 month contract period?

I hope you can give me insight on this. Also not trying to screw the agency over or anything. However we were searching more for something permanent, and closer to home then the one we were getting. FYI - we decided to stay with the temp offer and give it a chance, but I would still like to know what happens should we have taken the other path.

Thank you for your help
If it's ditching a temp job for a full time job, just explain and most recruiters would understand. Unless the temp job was something super special, full time position is better in every way. There would not be any legal risk, just the fact that the recruiter will probably not like you for a while. That's all. Just be honest and explain full time position came through.

However direct hire vs temp doesn't always mean better. Just because it's through an agency doesn't always mean agency jobs are worse. Do your homework and research on the employer. As for chance of going full time, there's no 'statistic' or probability and it could be as soon as 1 week or never.

Closer to home is a huge plus though, cuts down on costs and time.

Good luck to your family member!
Nov 26, 2015
742 posts
452 upvotes
Ontario
bhrm wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 8:02 am
If it's ditching a temp job for a full time job, just explain and most recruiters would understand. Unless the temp job was something super special, full time position is better in every way. There would not be any legal risk, just the fact that the recruiter will probably not like you for a while. That's all. Just be honest and explain full time position came through.

However direct hire vs temp doesn't always mean better. Just because it's through an agency doesn't always mean agency jobs are worse. Do your homework and research on the employer. As for chance of going full time, there's no 'statistic' or probability and it could be as soon as 1 week or never.

Closer to home is a huge plus though, cuts down on costs and time.

Good luck to your family member!
It appears we got baited and screwed over by 2 job agencies. The agency mislead us to thinking the job was assured. Who the heck does an orientation at the client site, says they will send you your schedule and then not give you the job with no reason at all.

Anyways so we took another job offer that came up the following week since the recruiting agency did not answer our inquiries and seem to not care. The job is not related to the agency. My question would be if you could help me with this.

1. We want to severe ties with this agency since they obviously screwed us over. Do we have to officially quit with them in writing?
2. Since joining with them, we have not had any work assignments at all; if in the future we got hire directly from one of their clients, will the client be affected at all? According to the employment standard act, it appears since we have not started any work with any client, the agency cannot do anything to us nor the client, correct.

Thanks again for your help
May 28, 2017
70 posts
25 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
bhrm wrote:
Jan 25th, 2012 11:37 am
Ask me anything :)

I've done recruiting for corporate and agency/search firm.

Full Time and Contract.

Ask away!
I need some advice for my specific situation but I don't want to share details publicly. Can you referred me to Career Coach/Management with resume writing services?
Jan 14, 2017
18 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
bhrm wrote:
Jan 25th, 2012 11:37 am
Ask me anything :)

I've done recruiting for corporate and agency/search firm.

Full Time and Contract.

Ask away!
After applying to a few positions from several recruiting agencies, I receive either a call-back or email asking me to discuss the position in more detail with them, and when I reply back, I don't receive any response at all. (I left a voicemail on the same day/ replied back to their email within an hour)

What are some of the reasons for this? If they weren't interested why contact me in the first place? Not sure if I should even apply to positions on their websites in the future. :/
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2625 posts
467 upvotes
Myselff wrote:
Nov 25th, 2018 6:22 pm
After applying to a few positions from several recruiting agencies, I receive either a call-back or email asking me to discuss the position in more detail with them, and when I reply back, I don't receive any response at all. (I left a voicemail on the same day/ replied back to their email within an hour)

What are some of the reasons for this? If they weren't interested why contact me in the first place? Not sure if I should even apply to positions on their websites in the future. :/
1. They forgot
2. They found someone better right after you
3. Job was filled by agency or another agency.

You can't control #2 & #3, agencies have to be fast for temp jobs. For #1, always be thorough with your follow up like "Hey it's Mysellff, we emailed for XYZ as I believe i have ABC skills/experience for it. Is it still available or other similar jobs open?" and then move on.
Mar 19, 2016
5 posts
8 upvotes
Is it true recruiters prefer people who are desperate? I'm looking to switch careers but I'm not going to take any job if it's not the right fit. I'm concerned they might not care about me if that's the case
May 3, 2015
50 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I'm curious about internal hiring especially campus recruiting for students. For things like internship programs with dozens of positions, do companies have a certain target amount/range for the target students? Ex. they want around 5-7 students from school x. So in this case, students are mainly competing with the students at their schools and not all applicants? And I'm curious to know a bit more about the resume selection as well.

I know my questions are a bit specific so I understand if you may not know all the details!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2625 posts
467 upvotes
ChillbroSwaggins wrote:
Nov 27th, 2018 9:55 am
Is it true recruiters prefer people who are desperate? I'm looking to switch careers but I'm not going to take any job if it's not the right fit. I'm concerned they might not care about me if that's the case
No, we prefer people who are running to something, not away from something as one of my former VPs says (and could be lurking this thread). Always present yourself as running towards something, not running away because XYZ reasons like work sucks, culture toxic, or pay low. Running towards opportunities because great challenges, heard amazing things with reputation, want to be in this space etc.

Positive Attitude > Negative attitude.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2625 posts
467 upvotes
dreamingstars wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 12:32 am
I'm curious about internal hiring especially campus recruiting for students. For things like internship programs with dozens of positions, do companies have a certain target amount/range for the target students? Ex. they want around 5-7 students from school x. So in this case, students are mainly competing with the students at their schools and not all applicants? And I'm curious to know a bit more about the resume selection as well.

I know my questions are a bit specific so I understand if you may not know all the details!
Think of it as sports draft picks from college football/basketball. "Scouts" have little to go by, like your transcript, grades, extracurriculars but they always want top of the top first or second round draft picks.

Some companies care, some don't care or because top talent may not fit into their culture.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2008
3123 posts
282 upvotes
Mississauga
great thread.

1. i'd like to know what are the unspoken (and spoken) rules about sharing compensation with recruiters. some will back off when i say 'depends on role/location/responsibilities', but some will press on for details about current compensation and what i'm looking to make.

2. what are some of the reasons recruiters don't share the employer during the initial screening call?