Careers

Ask a Recruiter Anything (interview tips, resume, recruiters in general)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2019 3:06 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2893 posts
646 upvotes
cowvun wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 2:33 pm
Is it true companies hire more during January and that it is easier to move positions in this month? When do we start seeing movement for hires for jobs posted in January?

Thanks.
People start looking and companies start looking in January.

People generally wait until their bonus from 2018 gets paid out, typically late Jan, early Feb. Some in spring time. People sometimes make it a new year's resolution to find something new, bigger and better.

Companies start to lay out their plans for the year, from promotions and moving people around, new budget and projects brings new headcount.
Dec 5, 2010
66 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
bhrm wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 9:50 pm
People start looking and companies start looking in January.

People generally wait until their bonus from 2018 gets paid out, typically late Jan, early Feb. Some in spring time. People sometimes make it a new year's resolution to find something new, bigger and better.

Companies start to lay out their plans for the year, from promotions and moving people around, new budget and projects brings new headcount.
So is it true it's better, and easier, to look for a move up in January?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2893 posts
646 upvotes
cowvun wrote:
Jan 21st, 2019 4:32 pm
So is it true it's better, and easier, to look for a move up in January?
Generally speaking, yes. I can't speak for every recruiter and company out there.
Jan 1, 2017
678 posts
507 upvotes
OP do you think any of the BIg 5 banks would give a signing bonus for a Director level job this early in the year. Almost a quarter has passed... if I go to one of them can I expect a signing bonus equal to a full year bonus?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2893 posts
646 upvotes
ProductGuy wrote:
Jan 21st, 2019 8:36 pm
OP do you think any of the BIg 5 banks would give a signing bonus for a Director level job this early in the year. Almost a quarter has passed... if I go to one of them can I expect a signing bonus equal to a full year bonus?
You cannot "expect" a signing bonus = full year bonus, you need to *justify* the signing bonus = full year bonus.

You need to phrase it as "This is what I'm going to be leaving from my current company". You phrase it as a "cost of leaving", not to expect the next company to pay you based on unknown performance.

I always ask candidates what they would leave and any gaps that need to be bridged. If you say you're a top performer consistently, your references better be glowing brighter than the sun to back that up to help justify a signing bonus.

If you phrase it as an "expectation", you're going to turn off people fast.
Jan 1, 2017
678 posts
507 upvotes
bhrm wrote:
Jan 21st, 2019 8:46 pm
You cannot "expect" a signing bonus = full year bonus, you need to *justify* the signing bonus = full year bonus.

You need to phrase it as "This is what I'm going to be leaving from my current company". You phrase it as a "cost of leaving", not to expect the next company to pay you based on unknown performance.

I always ask candidates what they would leave and any gaps that need to be bridged. If you say you're a top performer consistently, your references better be glowing brighter than the sun to back that up to help justify a signing bonus.

If you phrase it as an "expectation", you're going to turn off people fast.
Well said! Thanks!
Aug 7, 2005
815 posts
198 upvotes
Toronto
Do you have any suggestions on a good resume writer who can work with me in translating job experience onto a resume? My work experience is IT related (telecom).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2893 posts
646 upvotes
ReFuGeE wrote:
Apr 5th, 2019 2:16 pm
Do you have any suggestions on a good resume writer who can work with me in translating job experience onto a resume? My work experience is IT related (telecom).
I came from telecom so i know a little,

Easiest would be to find job postings that are similar to your experience and see how they word it and explain.

Also search up people on linkedin to see how they present themselves too.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
2542 posts
744 upvotes
bhrm wrote:
Jul 19th, 2018 10:46 pm
Bump! I just made a move, no longer in technology research but now....cannabis! Ask me anything about working in the cannabis industry!
Dear recruiter,

Two quick questions:

Are there any disadvantages to consider for an IT guy thinking about a job in the cannabis industry? (practical disadvantages like inability to travel ---- I'm not worry about moral judgement)

How are the salaries for IT professionals in the cannabis industry? Market rate... or higher?

Thanks!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2893 posts
646 upvotes
Travel Issues:
- to the states, zero
- to countries with extremely strict drug laws, proceed with caution!

Use obvious judgement, if you're decked out in cannabis culture swag, stickers all over your laptop, and eyes blood shot red in front of customs/border official.....probably not a good idea.

The media has blown this up quite a bit, and those who were detained for "cannabis employment", word on the street they also had something else in their past.

Salaries for IT Professionals? About the same-ish, I would not say higher (pardon the pun) but competitive. My word of caution is do your homework because cannabis industry is very similar to tech startups. Tons of investor money being burned to rapidly scale up to be competitive with little consideration for simple business model of profits. There was a lot of focus on building capabilities, now we're going to see a period of consolidation and companies running out of cash.

Perks of working in cannabis as IT? Just the fact that these are new organisations scaling up very very quickly, there's some concerns around data jurisdiction as some federally regulated companies will not do business with you, so lots of challenges and really building things out.
motomondo wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 12:38 pm
Dear recruiter,

Two quick questions:

Are there any disadvantages to consider for an IT guy thinking about a job in the cannabis industry? (practical disadvantages like inability to travel ---- I'm not worry about moral judgement)

How are the salaries for IT professionals in the cannabis industry? Market rate... or higher?

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
5490 posts
1136 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Any tips for people who want to be a recruiter themselves? Im currently studying HRM
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2893 posts
646 upvotes
yesstyle wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 10:51 pm
Any tips for people who want to be a recruiter themselves? Im currently studying HRM
Apply!

Lots of places are good starts to gain experience.

Agencies are great places to learn, they hammer best practices into you until you are a recruiting machine. Some say they look back at the agency experience and want to gag, but all will admit that's where they learned everything.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1309 posts
264 upvotes
Vancouver
I've had 3 jobs that were agency jobs, is it better to put the agency as my employer on the resume, rather than the actual company I worked for? or is it better to go like Jim Milton Ltd. (OldSpice Agency)

Asking because of background checks, I rather put the company I was assigned to, but background checks might think i'm frauding, so i'm thinking should I put the agency instead.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2893 posts
646 upvotes
SquirreI wrote:
Jun 14th, 2019 1:50 pm
I've had 3 jobs that were agency jobs, is it better to put the agency as my employer on the resume, rather than the actual company I worked for? or is it better to go like Jim Milton Ltd. (OldSpice Agency)

Asking because of background checks, I rather put the company I was assigned to, but background checks might think i'm frauding, so i'm thinking should I put the agency instead.
You should write like this:

Google Inc
Data Analyst ((On contract through Randstad)
)
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1309 posts
264 upvotes
Vancouver
bhrm wrote:
Jun 14th, 2019 2:51 pm
You should write like this:

Google Inc
Data Analyst ((On contract through Randstad)
)
Thanks, that helps make my resume look a lot better. It does add a lot of clutter though. I suppose there's no way around it.