Ask A Virgin Mobile Employee Anything!

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2013 2:23 pm
Oct 22, 2011
90 posts
28 upvotes
Edmonton

Ask A Virgin Mobile Employee Anything!

Hey, worked for the company for two years now. Love it, and be more than happy to help you. If I feel it may risk my job in any way I may refuse a question, but I'll try my best to answer 'em all!

Any plan questions, prices, etc be more than happy to help.

BYOP Supertab, pricing, etc.

Just throwing this out there... If you are not aware; the HTC One S is available for $100 w/ a 150 tab on choice plans. It carries a 25 in-store credit as a closing tool at corporate stores. My personal favorite deal..

But shoot me any questions!

Also, any information that I may state / post here should be considered my own personal opinion and not the official position of Virgin Mobile (Bell Mobility), even if I make it sounds like as such. It is because of this that I will only discuss stuff available to the general public's knowledge.
218 replies
[OP]
Oct 22, 2011
90 posts
28 upvotes
Edmonton
Let's get the ball rolling..

Promos some people don't realize are around..

Again HTC One S for 75 w/ 150 tab (Ultimately only 225 for a great phone)
Corporate stores have $100 in-store credits on Gio, Galaxy 551, $75 on combo plans on Razr V, $50 on 9320.. and a couple closing tool ISCS which aren't displayed.. One of Which is on the Motolux; personal opinion... Stay as far away from this phone as possible. Least-Favorite, most returned phone in our current lineup.

We did get rid of 10% rate plan savings/$5 and $10 rate plan saving on BYOP, instead we have 10% BYOP supertab on choice plans. 10% of your rate plan builds a positive credit which can be used to upgrade in the future. Not as great as the others, but it's still there.

We have a few new phones coming soon, can't say what type, but you'll be surprised. (I was) . Just follow Mobilesyrup; I'm sure someone will post all soon.
[OP]
Oct 22, 2011
90 posts
28 upvotes
Edmonton
I also see people struggling with the new $30/$45/$57 plans.

Overage on data on the $30 is $10/100 mb
On the 45 is $10/250 MB
On the 60 $10/GB

I also wanna throw this out there, yes, many of our plans are 100% the same as Koodo, but on some check out our overage VS them. On our choice plans, you start right at $0, Koodo is a minimum $5, and if you want the heavyweight, starts at $15 month... and overage over 3 GB is 2c/MB for us, Koodo is $10 GB. So if you go slightly over, we charge you say, 20c/ 10 mb, where they would be a set $10. Only time it pays off is if you go 500mb over 3 GB.

On Koodos 30, overage over 100MB is 5c/mb, ours is $10/100 mb, Koodo wins.
On Koodos 45, overage over 250MB is 5c/mb, ours is $10/250 MB, I would say a tie, even though in theory $40/GB (us) is better than $50 (Koodo), a per-megabyte overage gives it the win
On Koodos 60, overage is over 1GB is 5c/mb, ours is $10/GB, we beat them.

Check the overages.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
3531 posts
412 upvotes
Regina
no way they can fix the BYOP $5 off offer a month on mine without me phoning in every month to get a credit? I started on it in March/April, it was on the bill at one point in time, now they cannot get it back on. It was the reason I went with Virgin over Koodo at the time. Ideally 200 minutes canada wide, unlimited text, CID/VM, eve/wkd after 5pm, 1 - 2 gb data. Thanks for the PM!
[OP]
Oct 22, 2011
90 posts
28 upvotes
Edmonton
That's strange. I've only seen the BYOP not show up because of rep error before, like not putting on a tracking code for it, or put you on a plan that was not applicable to the $5 off. Was your plan ever changed in between it working, and not? I'm not the most knowledge with billing, as I just see is seldom when somebody comes to my kiosk.

Just see if you can speak to someone and get it escalated... I mean your contract says $5 off.

Sorry not the best help.. Just not my field really.
Oct 23, 2007
155 posts
Is it wrong to say call you guys....

Virgin employees???

Like when I go see some of you guys in a mall, can I go like,

Yo, Virgin dude! How much is this phone??

:D
Jun 29, 2010
12 posts
Montreal
Hi! I have been a customer for 3+ years, currently have non-smartphone and no-contract monthly plan (the $35 or $40, i forget).
I recently received an almost new, unlocked galaxy note 1 (not the new one that just came out) as a gift from my Korean relative (the device is from Korea); I was thinking about bringing it in and upgrade for galaxy S3..
how much would it cost?
Should I go for the supertab option or no? I am still confused about the thing after 3+ years..
Is it worth it??

or should I just keep the galaxy note and get a SIM card (I don't even know if you guys would allow it seeing that it's not a phone carried by Virgin)

Thank you!
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
1536 posts
133 upvotes
Gents, this isn't Reddit.
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?
Jan 22, 2012
160 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
I was on the phone with Virgin a few months ago and the CSR said that if you wanted to change your plan to a cheaper plan that there would be a penalty.

Is this true? And if so how much is the penalty?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9172 posts
381 upvotes
Markham
I find their site hard to navigate, what are the data options they have on prepaid accounts?
:lol:
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
1904 posts
128 upvotes
Mississauga
VintagePhick wrote:
Nov 16th, 2012 12:41 pm
I was on the phone with Virgin a few months ago and the CSR said that if you wanted to change your plan to a cheaper plan that there would be a penalty.

i am not sure if this is similar....
i am on the $60 "phone plans COMBO". can i change my plan from $60 "phone plans COMBO" to $57 "phone plans CHOICE"?
after i change there is still data and its above $50....

or do i need to pay like $200 for the data cancel contact fee?
[OP]
Oct 22, 2011
90 posts
28 upvotes
Edmonton
tma888 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2012 2:55 am
Is it wrong to say call you guys....

Virgin employees???

Like when I go see some of you guys in a mall, can I go like,

Yo, Virgin dude! How much is this phone??

:D
That doesn't bug any of us here at this store.. Only thing that bugs me is the once a week some guy thinks he's funny by asking "Do you have to be a Virgin to work here?" LOL.
puretopaz wrote:
Nov 16th, 2012 6:01 am
Hi! I have been a customer for 3+ years, currently have non-smartphone and no-contract monthly plan (the $35 or $40, i forget).
I recently received an almost new, unlocked galaxy note 1 (not the new one that just came out) as a gift from my Korean relative (the device is from Korea); I was thinking about bringing it in and upgrade for galaxy S3..
how much would it cost?
Should I go for the supertab option or no? I am still confused about the thing after 3+ years..
Is it worth it??

or should I just keep the galaxy note and get a SIM card (I don't even know if you guys would allow it seeing that it's not a phone carried by Virgin)

Thank you!
First, come to a Virgin kiosk, and check if it's compatible with our network. If it is, and unlocked, I would personally go with that. As far as 3yr/ Supertab plan, a Supertab is NEVER worth it on a smartphone/smartphone plan. Here's why. Either was right now at corporate stores the S3 is 160 on a Smartphone Plan on a 3 yr/Tab. On a tab, the amount remaining is 440. Let's say your bills are 60/mn. Ten percent of your bills pay off the tab, it'll take over 6 years to pay off. Plus in most cases (unless you cancel within a year) it's cheaper to terminate a 3 year. Our current 3 year termination is the greater of $100 or $20/mn remaining in contract up to $400, plus a data credit if you got a smartphone/smartphone plan. The data credit is usually $200, and it is prorated to when you terminate.

Let's compare.

S3 on 3 year. 160 now..

Cancelling after 6 months 400 + 167 = 567
Cancelling after a year 400 + 133 = 533
18 months, 360 + 100 = 460
24 months 240 + 66 = 306
30 months 120 + 33 (latest eligibility for 3 year upgrade) 153
36 months 0

A tab at 60/mn bills.

Cancelling after 6 months = 404 (440-(10% of bills)
12 months = 368
18 months = 332
24 months = 296 (Break even point basically)
30 months = 260
36 months = Still cost 324 to terminate.

With the life of phones, I would say 2 years is not unreasonable, and anything past that you will be in much better shape of 3 year. Only get tab if you are only taking 300 or less off the phone (IMO)

VintagePhick wrote:
Nov 16th, 2012 12:41 pm

If you start on a smartphone plan, and get full subsidy on the phone, then if you switch to a choice plan, the charges would be the data credit (usually $200), prorated to when you terminate. So let's say you signed up for an iPhone 4 for 0 on a $55/mn plan, and you want to go to a plan like $20/mn, when you activated, you wouldn't get the phone for 0. So they charge that amount back.

Make sense?
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2010
2635 posts
161 upvotes
Nexus 4 through virgin. Nay or yay?
Owner of hunks of metal, silicon, glass, plastic with 1s and 0s and some electrons powering them.
[OP]
Oct 22, 2011
90 posts
28 upvotes
Edmonton
Hairball wrote:
Nov 16th, 2012 1:25 pm
I find their site hard to navigate, what are the data options they have on prepaid accounts?
For smartphones, 100 MB for $10
500 MB for $25
1 GB for $35,

Blackberries have Blackberry social or blackberry email for $20/mn
500 MB for $25
1 GB for $35

Or two plans include some data

$25/mn for 100 minutes, voicemail, call id, unlimited text and 100MB data (Not available on Blackberry)
$35/mn for unlimited incoming, unlimited evening and weekend, unlimited text, and 250MB data, or BB Social/Email

killer007 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2012 1:42 pm
i am not sure if this is similar....
i am on the $60 "phone plans COMBO". can i change my plan from $60 "phone plans COMBO" to $57 "phone plans CHOICE"?
after i change there is still data and its above $50....

or do i need to pay like $200 for the data cancel contact fee?

You will get charged your data termination. It's not a set 200 anymore, it's 200 prorated. I know it's silly, but even me as a rep cannot sell the $60 (now 57) and get a person a data subsidized phone.
[OP]
Oct 22, 2011
90 posts
28 upvotes
Edmonton
desidealer49 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2012 2:10 pm
Nexus 4 through virgin. Nay or yay?
I haven't heard a thing about us carrying it. If you bought it outright from Google (Good on you), Virgin is a very fair provider to hook it up with. At least do BYOP Supertab, so if you are happy with Virgin you have some credit for a new tab/3 year in the future.
× < >