• Jul 14th, 2015 1:22 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
6517 posts
3798 upvotes
Thornhill
clax66 wrote: I was selling a condo at Harbourfront (33 Harbour Square). Bathroom was a bit dated but still crisp and clean. Was priced accordingly but before it was even listed Realtor was saying i should update bathroom with new tiles and toilet (2 - 3 K maybe?) to get my price. I said no unless he wanted to chip in half since all he was doing was putting the condo on the MLS and making as much as i was. He grimaced. Sold over asking without upgrades. Thanks for all your experience Mr. Realtor. Where was his value added? Nowhere. Back then I didn't know better.
Right, now this is a partial excerpt from an answer I gave to an RFD user who pm'd me awhile ago. It is one of many answered similarly and how this Realtor conducts business.

"- it is not worth it to spend X number of dollars on a full renovation of a kitchen or bath if at best that is all that will be recovered on sale and in the rare instance as noted above, and only worth it if the rest of the home is such that anything short of a full renovation will lessen its appeal or the competition in the area is completely modernized.

- homeowners can very often actually accomplish three things by making smaller, less expensive changes: 1) make the home more visually appealing to the extent that the buyers know they would need to update the kitchen or bath but that it is currently functional, liveable and acceptable; 2) targeted updating costs much less which usually can mean the difference in sales price of '000s and 3) return a profit on such an investment."

We are not all cut from the same cloth. Hire wisely!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6834 posts
7575 upvotes
Toronto
licenced wrote: Give me an example and why specifically did they want you to make them?
When selling my condo, my realtor told me to add a simple kitchen subway tile back splash (was painted before), replace all the kitchen cabinet hardware with a different motif, and to remove the bedroom ceiling fans and replace them with decent light fixtures. About $1100 total.

Aside from that the condo was already updated cosmetically and best unit in the (small) building.
Si Tacuisses, Philosophus Mansisses
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2006
1507 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
d5486 wrote: Thanks for all answers. I will just payfor it myself.
It honestly doesn't hurt to ask.

I'd say a lot might depend on your realtor, how much your house will be listed for, how desirable your area/house will be and how much you are expecting of them.

My realtor paid for a handyman to come paint and fix various things. He provided some paint, the rest was extra paint I still had.

This cost to him was probably somewhere around $250. In addition I'm only paying him 1.5% instead of 2.5% on the sale. But I also bought a home with him where he got his full commission.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)