Home & Garden

Asphalt paving in the rain?

  • Last Updated:
  • May 14th, 2007 12:08 pm
Tags:
None
Member
Oct 28, 2005
329 posts
90 upvotes

Asphalt paving in the rain?

I am having the driveway re-paved with asphalt this week but it's going to rain the next two days. Is that going to be a problem? Can paving be done correctly if it's going to rain after or during for that matter?
28 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
24878 posts
2461 upvotes
Ottawa
I believe they pave roads in the rain. I think it depends how heavy the rain is. Asphalt is hot tar and gravel so it really would not be affected that much I would think.
Sr. Member
Jan 14, 2007
916 posts
69 upvotes
You don't want to lay asphalt on a muddy surface but the rain won't hurt the asphalt if it is being placed on a solid surface such as hard gravel or rock.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 19, 2006
2208 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
:arrowu:

as long as they are gravel or something similar...you are fine...the guy that paved our driveway actually took the water nozzle and spray it all over our driveway when he finished to make sure that the surface is prefect & there is no "holes" anywhere that will catch water...
Jr. Member
May 31, 2006
153 posts
Don't pave a driveway in the rain. Roads are never paved in the rain or even a drizzle. The granular base is fine if its damp but no puddles. The asphalt has to be hot (140C) and quickly cools in rain. Watering a finished job is silly. Rain on a finished job is fine. Outside temp should be above 3C.
Sr. Member
Jan 14, 2007
916 posts
69 upvotes
sandy99 wrote:
May 9th, 2007 11:07 am
Don't pave a driveway in the rain. Roads are never paved in the rain or even a drizzle. The granular base is fine if its damp but no puddles. The asphalt has to be hot (140C) and quickly cools in rain. Watering a finished job is silly. Rain on a finished job is fine. Outside temp should be above 3C.
Watering a finished job will not hurt the asphalt. The trick to working in wet or cold weather is to compact the asphalt as soon as possible after it is put down. Once it is compacted, it won't be affected by cold or rain.
Jr. Member
May 31, 2006
153 posts
Kanus wrote:
May 9th, 2007 12:03 pm
Watering a finished job will not hurt the asphalt. The trick to working in wet or cold weather is to compact the asphalt as soon as possible after it is put down. Once it is compacted, it won't be affected by cold or rain.
Watering the finished job won't hurt or help. Its just silly.
Yes you don't let the mix sit before rolling it. The only limits on precipitation and temps is during construction. Anything after that is fine. With a fine driveway mix you should keep kickstands off it on hot days for awhile till the surface oxidizes some.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
24878 posts
2461 upvotes
Ottawa
sandy99 wrote:
May 9th, 2007 1:13 pm
Watering the finished job won't hurt or help. Its just silly.
Yes you don't let the mix sit before rolling it. The only limits on precipitation and temps is during construction. Anything after that is fine. With a fine driveway mix you should keep kickstands off it on hot days for awhile till the surface oxidizes some.
I am interested in this thread also I am thinking of getting a new driveway soon. Please explain "till the surface oxidizes some". Is this something driveways and roadways do? We all know kickstands and sharp objects put holes in hot asphalt, even when it is old but I never heard of it "rusting" on a driveway or road. :cheesygri
Jr. Member
May 31, 2006
153 posts
Pete_Coach wrote:
May 9th, 2007 1:24 pm
I am interested in this thread also I am thinking of getting a new driveway soon. Please explain "till the surface oxidizes some". Is this something driveways and roadways do? We all know kickstands and sharp objects put holes in hot asphalt, even when it is old but I never heard of it "rusting" on a driveway or road. :cheesygri
Yes asphaltic concrete oxidizes. Its a bad thing as it makes it non-plastic so stuff is added to slow the chemical process. There are 2 stages of it basically. Nothing a homeowner needs to know but a contractor should be a bit versed in the processes. "Rusting" has nothing to do with it. First the asphalt cools, looses volitiles and oxidizes as it ages and becomes harder on the surface and more resistant to kickstands. Thats why they ask you not to park on it for a bit - its not because its still cooling.

A typical driveway mix is finely graded so its looks pretty. Roads use a different mix. Contruction practices are similar however and you should not let them do it in the rain. Hosing it serves no purpose.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 19, 2006
2208 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
sandy99 wrote:
May 9th, 2007 2:17 pm
Hosing it serves no purpose.
I noticed you repeatedly repeat this for every post...what is your point really? did I say it serve any purpose??? my paver did it AFTER the job to make sure my driveway is prefectly flat/level so that the water flows directly to the curb & gutter...just making sure that there is no surface mismatch (low/high) on my driveway to catches water there everytime it rains

All i am saying is...it will not harm the driveway if the rain is AFTER job..i never recommend doing it while it's raining! hell...i would never recommend doing ANYTHING outdoor while it's raining!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 25, 2003
8809 posts
112 upvotes
Is there any reasoning that they wait a month after digging up your old driveway to lay in the new one?

Apex Paving is redoing ours, and they're waiting about a month later to put the asphalt down.. (I can only assume they're waiting for more customers and doing everyone all at once)
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 8, 2003
7486 posts
385 upvotes
Scarborough
Payless Paving just dug out our driveway yesterday, they didn't say when they will be back to do the paving.
B0000rt wrote:
May 9th, 2007 6:11 pm
Is there any reasoning that they wait a month after digging up your old driveway to lay in the new one?

Apex Paving is redoing ours, and they're waiting about a month later to put the asphalt down.. (I can only assume they're waiting for more customers and doing everyone all at once)
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
3955 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
B0000rt wrote:
May 9th, 2007 6:11 pm
Is there any reasoning that they wait a month after digging up your old driveway to lay in the new one?

Apex Paving is redoing ours, and they're waiting about a month later to put the asphalt down.. (I can only assume they're waiting for more customers and doing everyone all at once)
Yes there is a reason. When you park in your driveway the weight of your car helps to compact the base. Just by driving in and out of it your car is compacting the most used areas. I had mine done with MOT road grade. They wanted to put a finnish coat on it but I said no. There is a base there now of ashphalt and 3/4 clear stone. My truck and landscape trailer loaded with mowers and tools and me in the drivers seat has a gross wieght of 5090 kg. with 8 tires on the ground. It was done about 10 years ago ant there are no ruts or water pooling areas.

Dave

ps. Sorry you said digging up. I read that it was already dug up and the base was in but still waiting for the finnish coat. guess I was replying to Menace.
You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something sometime in your life!
[OP]
Member
Oct 28, 2005
329 posts
90 upvotes
They came and dug up the old pavement 2 weeks ago. I was told the asphalt companies were not open yet. Does anyone know if this is true in the GTA? I just thought the chance of frost may be the reason why they don't do it that early.
Jr. Member
May 31, 2006
153 posts
virgoan wrote:
May 9th, 2007 5:52 pm
I noticed you repeatedly repeat this for every post...what is your point really? did I say it serve any purpose??? my paver did it AFTER the job to make sure my driveway is prefectly flat/level so that the water flows directly to the curb & gutter...just making sure that there is no surface mismatch (low/high) on my driveway to catches water there everytime it rains

All i am saying is...it will not harm the driveway if the rain is AFTER job..i never recommend doing it while it's raining! hell...i would never recommend doing ANYTHING outdoor while it's raining!
I picture this guy hosing down the driveway and lets say he finds a low spot. Nothing can be done at this point other than ripping it up and starting over. Grading is done at the gravel level, not the hot mix stage.
× < >

Top