• May 14th, 2007 12:08 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2006
2208 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
sandy99 wrote: What a silly contractor. Something as simple as a 4ft level on a 2x4 would have saved him from doing that. Or even just a piece of string. I thought it was a hose not rain. You should not pave with a big rain in the forcast.
okay..i guess i wasn't being clear...sorry...

what happened was...he check for proper drainage/level with my water hose after he finished the job...it was good...but a few days later...a really big rain came and caused my driveway to sink on one side created a pretty big "hole"...so we called him up...and he did it again for us..
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9294 posts
415 upvotes
Funny thing, the contractor came by this morning asking if it was ok for them to pave it today.

Yay, no more waiting until the end of the month!

All done. Then use plenty of water when compacting the asphalt. The compactor machines with the big drum wheels were always kept constantly wet, while the guys compacting with the hand tool was also kept constantly wet.
Feb 25, 2006
36 posts
Rembrandt100 wrote: Yes there is a reason. When you park in your driveway the weight of your car helps to compact the base. Just by driving in and out of it your car is compacting the most used areas. I had mine done with MOT road grade. They wanted to put a finnish coat on it but I said no. There is a base there now of ashphalt and 3/4 clear stone. My truck and landscape trailer loaded with mowers and tools and me in the drivers seat has a gross wieght of 5090 kg. with 8 tires on the ground. It was done about 10 years ago ant there are no ruts or water pooling areas.

Dave

ps. Sorry you said digging up. I read that it was already dug up and the base was in but still waiting for the finnish coat. guess I was replying to Menace.

Not true. The 8 tires cannot possibly cover more than 20% of the driveway (assuming the tires are in different spots all the time) Besides, the paving companies have heavy duty plate compactors that will do the job (if they are a decent company) Some will use a weak cpmpactor and try to compact 8" of granular at once. Should be compacted in 4" layers.
The reason they are doing the prep work now is so they can bring the asphalt equipment and do all the asphalt work in a day, along with the 30 other houses that they have done the same thing for
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8718 posts
1069 upvotes
Scarborough
Our driveway was done yesterday. 3 days waiting wasn't that bad at all.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9294 posts
415 upvotes
Menace wrote: Our driveway was done yesterday. 3 days waiting wasn't that bad at all.
Nice, it's quite funny actually, when we got out Roofing done last year by Alpine, half the street got theirs done also lol. This year we got our driveway done by Apex, and 4 other houses on the street are getting theirs done too lol!

We paid an extra $200 for road grade asphalt.. Not bad for a driveway that can fit almost 6 cars
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8718 posts
1069 upvotes
Scarborough
lol, we were the only house on our street. $2,000 for both the drive and interlocking for the porch. We were pretty happy with the work done by Payless Paving.
B0000rt wrote: This year we got our driveway done by Apex, and 4 other houses on the street are getting theirs done too lol!

We paid an extra $200 for road grade asphalt.. Not bad for a driveway that can fit almost 6 cars
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9294 posts
415 upvotes
Menace wrote: lol, we were the only house on our street. $2,000 for both the drive and interlocking for the porch. We were pretty happy with the work done by Payless Paving.
Ours was something like $2100 or so. Are you going to wait the full 3 days before parking on it? We live in a court so it's kinda hard parking 4 cars on the roadway :(
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes
B0000rt wrote: Ours was something like $2100 or so. Are you going to wait the full 3 days before parking on it? We live in a court so it's kinda hard parking 4 cars on the roadway :(
How about talk to your neighbour and see if they can share you some spots in their driveway?
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8718 posts
1069 upvotes
Scarborough
I park my car inside the garage. Yes, you should wait for 3 full days. My brother came over on Sunday, he left the tire marks on the driveway. I am going to apply the driveway sealer later in the season, so I don't worry that much. But @#$% when I saw the marks this morning.
B0000rt wrote: Ours was something like $2100 or so. Are you going to wait the full 3 days before parking on it? We live in a court so it's kinda hard parking 4 cars on the roadway :(