Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] ASUS router RT-N66U (PM ComputerPartsDrives @ Best Buy for $113.75)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2013 3:34 pm
Nov 17, 2004
746 posts
55 upvotes
Mississauga
Just called Best Buy and they already knew about the deal since apparently some other RFD'ers already called and they said they can't pricematch computerpartsdrive.com since they said they cant verify warranty, shipping etc from them. LOL
Nov 17, 2004
746 posts
55 upvotes
Mississauga
Wow this is definitely YMMV. First Best Buy denied it since apparently some other RFD'ers already tried and they knew exactly the details of the router. But then I tried with Futureshop. First I called in and the guy said they aren't doing PMs due to boxing day sale. Then I called back and tried again and now the lady is doing it LOL. So whoever wants to try this, try calling Futureshop after placing the order and hopefully see if you can speak to someone named Ashley as she said she just price matched the same router a couple of minutes before me!
Aug 15, 2003
437 posts
5 upvotes
Edmonton
Good deal. Just bough one a couple weeks ago for $150 and pretty happy with the performance/stability on stock firmware.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2002
1256 posts
242 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks OP.

Got it for $128.55 taxes in from Futureshop.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2002
1256 posts
242 upvotes
Mississauga
Pretty sure OP said ME doesn't PM this store.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
8314 posts
2965 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I also recommend Merlin's FW. He takes the stock ASUS FW, opens features, cleans up bugs, and you can setup OpenVPN Client on it (all your wired and wireless devices get VPN service eg; AppleTV, tablets, etc). I am running U.S. apps and getting U.S. content no problem.

Speedtests show it's fastest over Tomato and DDWRT.
Nov 30, 2005
642 posts
68 upvotes
Leduc
apparently these and the AC66 versions have problems streaming/downloading to the xbox360 slim causing very slow speeds. im tempted to try to price match locally at memory express so i can retire my wrt54gl but there still isnt word if asus can fix the problem or not.
Nov 17, 2004
746 posts
55 upvotes
Mississauga
Anyone have any luck PMing with ME?
Deal Addict
May 10, 2006
2588 posts
51 upvotes
Bishop8 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 10:31 pm
Just bought a n56 a few weeks ago and love it. Very solid, no dropouts. Reception wasn't a jaw-dropping improvement over my old Belkin wireless N (which had issues with Apple products), so I still have to use an extender. Only regret with this is that I didn't notice it doesn't have a 'guest mode' option before I bought it. So now I'm trying to figure out a way to restrict access to our printer and (more importantly) our NAS. I guess I can just put a password on the DNS-323, couldn't I?
Thx for the quick review, didnt know there was no guest mode.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
9120 posts
1224 upvotes
I wonder any one has experience with the n53? It looks similar to n56 but with a slower Broadcom 300Mhz processor.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2012
3333 posts
593 upvotes
Knaw wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 7:18 pm
Best router I've ever owned. Stock firmware is flawless so far. No reboots needed after 3 months.
Yes, I'm really happy I bought it too.

It's still working great, I setup my OpenVPN account on it quickly, and it's been running smoothly non-stop for a few weeks now. Very fast for my streaming of media between devices, whereas it would be extremely slow on my old Linksys. I'm using the Merlin firmware.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2007
4323 posts
589 upvotes
order one. I just miss tomato firmware on my current netgear =(

pm FS. got a very nice CSR. At first he was like I don't think we're price matching this week and he when to check with his manager. Came back saying it depends on the situation. Help me look up my order. Gave him site to PM. Said if there was shipping he would have to add that on the difference. I was like thinking oh no i'm screw. Then when he check it only show "Canada Post Expedited Parcel" So he said we would only charge Canada Post Ground so its free shipping. I was like "I LOVE THIS GUY" lol

Its good to be nice on the phone :P
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2002
1256 posts
242 upvotes
Mississauga
for those of you with this router, what are the benefits of the merlin firmware over the stock?
× < >