Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 19, 2013
716 posts
62 upvotes
Surrey

Asus routers vs tp link

Hey guys in need of a router here pretty soon. Looking for a high end one. Not sure if i should spend the extra money on asus, or cheap out on a tp link. I will also be buying a macbook pro in october, if theirs an upgrade to haswell. In saying that not sure if i should get "ac" wifi ( i dont even know what the difference is). I will have 2 iphones and a laptop or two connected everyday at least once in a three story house. I watch netflix and download movies once in a while....
56 replies
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
tplinks are on par with asus once you plop on ddwrt or any other third party firmware.
heck i would even say tplink stock firmware is better then that slow asus stock.
but i would definitely not brand tplink as a cheap brand. cheap in my eyes would be brands like netgear or belkin.

for 80 bucks this tplink router has every feature of a 200 dollar router.
http://www.hookbag.ca/product/H3C06TUPP ... 38-tp-link
http://www.computervalley.ca/tl-wdr4300 ... ter-retail

plop ddwrt here and you got yourself a smb grade solution.
from stock tplink. flash this first.
1.http://dd-wrt.com/routerdb/de/download/ ... t.bin/4132
after flashing above. flash this over it.
2.http://dd-wrt.com/routerdb/de/download/ ... h.bin/4133
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
5013 posts
730 upvotes
Maple
Never use ASUS, but my TP-LINK WR941NR is still kicking with stock for over 3 years now. Mine is very reliable.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
19924 posts
1710 upvotes
TP Link is a good brand but I almost always use aftermarket firmware :P

What features do you need?
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2012
4953 posts
560 upvotes
Mississauga
I have an ASUS AC66U(Merlin) [140$], a refurbished N-12(stock) [17$] and an ASUS PCE66[60$] wireless adapter, and they are amazing products.

AC technology is advancing pretty fast so I wouldn't recommend jumping on the AC boat just yet. Just buy a normal Macbook and upgrade the wifi card after it matures a bit
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
6500 posts
775 upvotes
Winnipeg
Dspends on the model and chipset
[OP]
Jan 19, 2013
716 posts
62 upvotes
Surrey
Thanks for the replies everyone.
How is the build quality, same parts?
Features, not really sure...just a regular router i guess...
As far as ac wifi, im pretty sure the new macbook pros will have it....
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2298 posts
441 upvotes
Toronto
tonysoprano wrote:... How is the build quality, same parts? ...
Fit, finish, quality... definitely would not categorize them with tier-one manufacturers.
As others already pointed out,
The saving grace of TP-Links is that they usually handle third party firmware well and inexpensive.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
that is not at all true. they use the same hardware like any other vendor.
where do you think all these routers are made? they all come from the same country as tplink products do.
the difference is tplink actually supports their hardware.
look at every other ISP in Canada and almost all of them carry tplink for their customers.
why? because they are reliable, simple and affordable.
i have used many linkys and asus routers and in the end i have switched to tplink and mikrotik routers.
why because they make good stuff and they support their products.
name one tplink router that is bad and does not do what is advertised?
name on tplink product that is overpriced.
there isn't one.
Warlock wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2013 10:54 pm
Fit, finish, quality... definitely would not categorize them with tier-one manufacturers.
As others already pointed out,
The saving grace of TP-Links is that they usually handle third party firmware well and inexpensive.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
depends on whether or not there is ppl supporting the hardware.
lead wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2013 9:27 pm
Dspends on the model and chipset
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
6500 posts
775 upvotes
Winnipeg
infamouskid wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2013 10:57 pm
depends on whether or not there is ppl supporting the hardware.
not necessarily true. atheros based router in particular newer chipsets have common drop outs and disconnects(factor in the oodles of clients new and legacy etc) or not achieving proper speed etc,yet its continued for quite some time with dd-wrt. Eg. how had tplink w1043nd ever be considered gigbit? it was dismal gigabit controller its wan/lan or lan to lan throughtput was like 150 for a while barely above 10/100 until years afters its release a stable controller driver emerged to give it some boost only to now have some feel wifi disconnects. Disconnects that aren't plaguing other routers with the latest firmwares and similar chipset. Openwrt closed the ticked on its issue but their forums have people saying help its still there. Perhaps its the mutiple amount of revisions found on the board who knows?

Is a tplink atheros based going to be as stable as an asus broadcom based of similar spec'ed routers. No its not unless somethings changed in the last little bit. The dd-wrt for broadcom will be more stable. Go gargoyle and maybe you got something but many want dd-wrt because its popular. I don't know I have tinkered with alot of atheros based routers their powerful but not as stable or maybe its better to word it "flexible" to all clients equally like broadcom have been or even the ralinks I have run 3rd party on.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14312 posts
1975 upvotes
Toronto
tonysoprano wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2013 10:36 pm
Thanks for the replies everyone.
How is the build quality, same parts?
Features, not really sure...just a regular router i guess...
As far as ac wifi, im pretty sure the new macbook pros will have it....
I think TP-Link is better in terms of quality. The design may be a little old but internally it's IMO better than Linksys. My current Linksys (E3200) has worse range than my TP-Link from 6 years ago which is a wireless G router.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
see that is where your wrong. that is not a tplink based issue but moe an atheros one.
openwrt did do the fix right and so did ddwrt.
also i have owned that very router youmentioned and i have not had any issues with it for 3 years.
that same router was replaced with the mentioned router above too.
each handling 20+ wired and wireless clients without a problem.

lead wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2013 12:08 am
not necessarily true. atheros based router in particular newer chipsets have common drop outs and disconnects(factor in the oodles of clients new and legacy etc) or not achieving proper speed etc,yet its continued for quite some time with dd-wrt. Eg. how had tplink w1043nd ever be considered gigbit? it was dismal gigabit controller its wan/lan or lan to lan throughtput was like 150 for a while barely above 10/100 until years afters its release a stable controller driver emerged to give it some boost only to now have some feel wifi disconnects. Disconnects that aren't plaguing other routers with the latest firmwares and similar chipset. Openwrt closed the ticked on its issue but their forums have people saying help its still there. Perhaps its the mutiple amount of revisions found on the board who knows?

Is a tplink atheros based going to be as stable as an asus broadcom based of similar spec'ed routers. No its not unless somethings changed in the last little bit. The dd-wrt for broadcom will be more stable. Go gargoyle and maybe you got something but many want dd-wrt because its popular. I don't know I have tinkered with alot of atheros based routers their powerful but not as stable or maybe its better to word it "flexible" to all clients equally like broadcom have been or even the ralinks I have run 3rd party on.
Nov 1, 2007
102 posts
10 upvotes
I bought an ASUS ac for a friend for $130 and a TP-Link N750 for myself for $70.....both dual bands.
When all was setup and tested, it was evident that that the wireless devices that we owned DID NOT SUPPORT anything near the new standard..they were all WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n NOT 802.11 a, ac, b, g, n (2.4 GHz)....very few items, tablets, phones, laptops) support the new "ac" standard. For example, the NEW Nexus 7 does not support ac...only 802.11 a/b/g/n ......some of the MAC high end products do support ac.
My friend was a bit disappointed but he was like you - he wanted high end yet got similar results that I did. and spent much more.
BTWI am usingTP-Link firmware and it is working fine.
× < >