• Last Updated:
  • Oct 1st, 2013 12:43 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2007
1478 posts
552 upvotes
Pros (like our sysadmin) seem to prefer TPlink over other brands for their personal use. In my experience, TPlink (1043) was more reliable than Asus.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
6498 posts
775 upvotes
Winnipeg
infamouskid wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2013 9:38 am
see that is where your wrong. that is not a tplink based issue but moe an atheros one.
openwrt did do the fix right and so did ddwrt.
also i have owned that very router youmentioned and i have not had any issues with it for 3 years.
that same router was replaced with the mentioned router above too.
each handling 20+ wired and wireless clients without a problem.
when did dd-wrt get it right with atheros? still plaguing the newer chipsets and some older ones like the g200nh and the wndr3700. Check your revision on your 1043 router and then go to openwrt and check others with different revisions posting their issues. 1043 is a pretty old router with a few revisions under its hat since it was released some good some not equal to others. In comparison the g300nh uses a similar chipset with newer revision and the issue is there. Compile the postes of logs with the variety of legacy devices aps vs gateways,dsl vs cable etc. For example many running cable didn't experience the same issues that dsl did. That didn't mean their wasn't an issue. Early models didn't feel the sting later ones experienced it more, and its common knowledge that dd-wrt doesn't run the latest atheros drivers like openwrt which is why openwrt was stable while dd-wrt was not for years. I tried a handful ofldd-wrt latest builds last month on a 300nh and wndr3700 still nada still disconnect issues still issues with wifi dropping back to gargoyle all working well again
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14312 posts
1975 upvotes
Toronto
lead wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2013 4:54 pm
when did dd-wrt get it right with atheros? still plaguing the newer chipsets and some older ones like the g200nh and the wndr3700. Check your revision on your 1043 router and then go to openwrt and check others with different revisions posting their issues. 1043 is a pretty old router with a few revisions under its hat since it was released some good some not equal to others. In comparison the g300nh uses a similar chipset with newer revision and the issue is there. Compile the postes of logs with the variety of legacy devices aps vs gateways,dsl vs cable etc. For example many running cable didn't experience the same issues that dsl did. That didn't mean their wasn't an issue. Early models didn't feel the sting later ones experienced it more, and its common knowledge that dd-wrt doesn't run the latest atheros drivers like openwrt which is why openwrt was stable while dd-wrt was not for years. I tried a handful ofldd-wrt latest builds last month on a 300nh and wndr3700 still nada still disconnect issues still issues with wifi dropping back to gargoyle all working well again
Is there Tomato support? Tomato is usually better than DDWRT and the issues with 3rd party software have nothing to do with the equipment manufacturer.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
6498 posts
775 upvotes
Winnipeg
wilsonlam97 wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2013 5:30 pm
Is there Tomato support? Tomato is usually better than DDWRT and the issues with 3rd party software have nothing to do with the equipment manufacturer.
maybe which newer tplink's are broadcom based today? Most of the newer ones that catch my eye are atheros based with some nice specs. There's nothing wrong with atheros based i run a couple but not on dd-wrt. I would if it were rock stable. DD-wrt of now is not like it was 2-3 years ago. Latest firmwares doesn't mean best for all routers anymore you have to cherry pick your builds and it can take up some of your time researching it your model to find the sweet one. Gargoyle/openwrt not so much.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
5480 posts
410 upvotes
Toronto
I generally like TP link more than asus, TP link is about delivering the best value, you can see that based on the price and features of it's entire product line. Every company has duds, the TPlink 740n is one such dud I have experienced, but I have had great experiences with the wr340 and the 720n. I had to call TP link once for support, a live person picked up on the 3rd ring and helped me with the problem, I was shocked at that for a router that only cost me $17.

I find that for tplink, the general consensus from web reviews is quite accurate, so if you do get a tplink you should study the reviews for the model you are interested in.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
[OP]
Jan 19, 2013
709 posts
61 upvotes
Surrey
Thanks everyone for your responses. Im leaning towards tp link, but some people are saying asus may be more reliable? I am ok with adding third party firmware to either of the routers. It will be one of the newer routers most likely possibly ac or not depending on youre recommendations.

Thanks again
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
the best for bang for buck right now. don't get AC just yet.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/asus-rou ... st17371310
tonysoprano wrote:
Sep 4th, 2013 12:56 am
Thanks everyone for your responses. Im leaning towards tp link, but some people are saying asus may be more reliable? I am ok with adding third party firmware to either of the routers. It will be one of the newer routers most likely possibly ac or not depending on youre recommendations.

Thanks again
tonysoprano wrote:
Sep 5th, 2013 11:29 am
Bump...
[OP]
Jan 19, 2013
709 posts
61 upvotes
Surrey
infamouskid wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2013 8:23 pm
tplinks are on par with asus once you plop on ddwrt or any other third party firmware.
heck i would even say tplink stock firmware is better then that slow asus stock.
but i would definitely not brand tplink as a cheap brand. cheap in my eyes would be brands like netgear or belkin.

for 80 bucks this tplink router has every feature of a 200 dollar router.
http://www.hookbag.ca/product/H3C06TUPP ... 38-tp-link
http://www.computervalley.ca/tl-wdr4300 ... ter-retail

plop ddwrt here and you got yourself a smb grade solution.
from stock tplink. flash this first.
1.http://dd-wrt.com/routerdb/de/download/ ... t.bin/4132
after flashing above. flash this over it.
2.http://dd-wrt.com/routerdb/de/download/ ... h.bin/4133
Alright im going to pull the plug on this router, does anyone recommend hookbag over computevalley? Or vise versa...

Thanks
[OP]
Jan 19, 2013
709 posts
61 upvotes
Surrey
Need to pull the plug, should i order from hookbag or computervalley? Pros or cons to either? Computervalley is closer to me...or should i buy it from futureshop for $7-$8 more?
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
buy from futureshop and just pricematch.

tonysoprano wrote:
Sep 10th, 2013 9:43 am
Need to pull the plug, should i order from hookbag or computervalley? Pros or cons to either? Computervalley is closer to me...or should i buy it from futureshop for $7-$8 more?
[OP]
Jan 19, 2013
709 posts
61 upvotes
Surrey
infamouskid wrote:
Sep 10th, 2013 8:56 pm
buy from futureshop and just pricematch.
I did just the thing about an hour before the post...thnaks for the help everyone, i will drop the aftermarket firmwire and see how it goes
× < >