Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
NCIX

ASUS Vivotab Note 8 2GB 64GB 8in 1280x800 278.98 w/office, wacom,

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2014 11:53 pm
Tags:
May 9, 2014
213 posts
248 upvotes
Embarras

[NCIX] ASUS Vivotab Note 8 2GB 64GB 8in 1280x800 278.98 w/office, wacom,

NCIX has this 8 inch tablet running FULL windows 8.1 on sale. Best competiton is Dell Venue 8 Pro, almost same specs, but has a wacom digitizer with built in stylus into the chasis. Fairly warm imo.
21 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
4370 posts
6936 upvotes
Price is okay. I got mine from NCIX at the beginning of September for $259.99 with the same powerbank.

The tablet is very good, I'm happy with it and use it mostly for taking notes in class with OneNote. I do suggest buying a better stylus if you do pick one up (and updating the wacom drivers), it makes the tablet so much better and negated pretty much all of the stylus response issues people have been complaining about. I can write all the way to the edges of the screen with no problems, while the built in pen has some difficulties when you get to the edges.
Dec 28, 2007
566 posts
259 upvotes
Ottawa
Caerus wrote: Price is okay. I got mine from NCIX at the beginning of September for $259.99 with the same powerbank.

The tablet is very good, I'm happy with it and use it mostly for taking notes in class with OneNote. I do suggest buying a better stylus if you do pick one up (and updating the wacom drivers), it makes the tablet so much better and negated pretty much all of the stylus response issues people have been complaining about. I can write all the way to the edges of the screen with no problems, while the built in pen has some difficulties when you get to the edges.
can you please let me know where u went to update the drivers, and which pen you purchased? Thank you.
Dec 8, 2012
95 posts
35 upvotes
Georgetown
get the 'feel' driver from wacom. it works well. before this, the pen input was waaaaaaaaaay off.

i notice the 'touch' input is not always great close to the edges. some worse than others. and believe me, you need the edges with win8.1. i have to recalibrate it and it gets a bit better but after a while, it gets worse again. if anyone has any recommendations, i'd love to hear them!

get a cheap matte screen protector from ebay. you'll be glad you did. i'm thinking about some kind of case for it now.

overall, i'm very happy with this tablet.
Nov 12, 2001
238 posts
4 upvotes
is there a place i can try this out before buying? all the stores that have it are showing a restocking fee if i need to return it (within 14 days or so)? staples had it but now out of stock....
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2009
3841 posts
2260 upvotes
'Shwallywood
tearglove wrote: is there a place i can try this out before buying? all the stores that have it are showing a restocking fee if i need to return it (within 14 days or so)? staples had it but now out of stock....
without knowing where you are, first markham place ncix has a pretty good demo table. Call and see if this is one of the tabs that are available?
I don't fail, I succeed at finding what doesn't work
Banned
Oct 19, 2010
7433 posts
1142 upvotes
Mississauga East
Too bad no FS locations near me have it in stock
would have been a nice PM
May 9, 2014
213 posts
248 upvotes
Embarras
I'm going to get the Dell Venue 8 Pro. I feel the Dell beats everything except for pen input in the Asus, and the pen is ok too.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2004
1116 posts
150 upvotes
is this the same model as the $259.99 one they had on sale a few weeks back? or it's a different model?
Nov 12, 2001
238 posts
4 upvotes
nellium wrote: without knowing where you are, first markham place ncix has a pretty good demo table. Call and see if this is one of the tabs that are available?
thanks i'll give it a try...

there seems to be pretty mixed reviews about this tablet....i've read a lot about screen build quality issues and functional stylus issues...although not sure if those have been worked out in manufacturing/QA now...can someone who has a recent datecode device shed some light on how they find their experience using this tablet?
Nov 12, 2001
238 posts
4 upvotes
piggchop wrote: I'm going to get the Dell Venue 8 Pro. I feel the Dell beats everything except for pen input in the Asus, and the pen is ok too.
I'm wavering between these two models too....I'm sure from what I've read the Dell will be a lot more of a stable experience but a few youtube videos show the stylus (which has to be bought separately AFAIK) is quite poor, not recognizing some of the input touches at all! if you know otherwise, please post here! :)
Nov 12, 2001
238 posts
4 upvotes
galantgtz99 wrote: is this the same model as the $259.99 one they had on sale a few weeks back? or it's a different model?
afaik, the same one!
Nov 12, 2001
238 posts
4 upvotes
gmdealz wrote: get the 'feel' driver from wacom. it works well. before this, the pen input was waaaaaaaaaay off.

i notice the 'touch' input is not always great close to the edges. some worse than others. and believe me, you need the edges with win8.1. i have to recalibrate it and it gets a bit better but after a while, it gets worse again. if anyone has any recommendations, i'd love to hear them!

get a cheap matte screen protector from ebay. you'll be glad you did. i'm thinking about some kind of case for it now.

overall, i'm very happy with this tablet.
did you buy a different wacom stylus pen altogether? if so, which one?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
4370 posts
6936 upvotes
cash_717 wrote: can you please let me know where u went to update the drivers, and which pen you purchased? Thank you.
This is where to go to get the wacom driver http://us.wacom.com/en/feeldriver/

The remaining drivers you can get from the asus live update that you activate when you get the tablet and register for the 1 year warranty. You'll setup a login and then you will have access to all of the drivers (bios, video, network, etc) either from their site, or they will forward you off to the intel page. You can get to the pages directly, but I don't remember the sites off hand.

The wacom pen I bought was this one http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B009DE4 ... UTF8&psc=1. The Fujitsu Digitizer Pen T5000. Has a bunch of good reviews, has 2 programmable buttons, 5 replacement tips, and an eraser end as well. You won't find another pen with dual programmable buttons and eraser for anywhere close to that price. You can also program it to be an eraser if you don't want to flip the pen over. The size is also nice as the included wacom pen feels too much like a little stick and gets uncomfortable after a while.
Dec 8, 2012
95 posts
35 upvotes
Georgetown
tearglove wrote: did you buy a different wacom stylus pen altogether? if so, which one?
no, for now i'm using the included one. i don't use it that often and it fits nicely into the device so no worries about misplacing it. i might ask for a new pen for christmas.

another tip: do a search on power saving tips. i found a site that shows how to edit the registry setting and it makes a huge difference. it sounds daunting at first but it is really simple. can't recall the site off-hand but google is your friend.
May 9, 2014
213 posts
248 upvotes
Embarras
tearglove wrote: I'm wavering between these two models too....I'm sure from what I've read the Dell will be a lot more of a stable experience but a few youtube videos show the stylus (which has to be bought separately AFAIK) is quite poor, not recognizing some of the input touches at all! if you know otherwise, please post here! :)
try to watch only videos with the a02 revision stylus or a01. Dell has released these to fix issues in the pen, but AFAIK its still not as perfect as a wacom digitizer.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
1950 posts
710 upvotes
Hey gmdealz, I tried googling this but couldn't find a site to improve battery life through the registry, can you post it if you get the chance and can find it again?
gmdealz wrote: no, for now i'm using the included one. i don't use it that often and it fits nicely into the device so no worries about misplacing it. i might ask for a new pen for christmas.

another tip: do a search on power saving tips. i found a site that shows how to edit the registry setting and it makes a huge difference. it sounds daunting at first but it is really simple. can't recall the site off-hand but google is your friend.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
4370 posts
6936 upvotes
Caerus wrote: The wacom pen I bought was this one http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B009DE4 ... UTF8&psc=1. The Fujitsu Digitizer Pen T5000. Has a bunch of good reviews, has 2 programmable buttons, 5 replacement tips, and an eraser end as well. You won't find another pen with dual programmable buttons and eraser for anywhere close to that price. You can also program it to be an eraser if you don't want to flip the pen over. The size is also nice as the included wacom pen feels too much like a little stick and gets uncomfortable after a while.
Just quoting myself but the price of the pen almost doubled in price! It was $35 for months and months up until this morning. I'm guessing it was the RFD effect.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)