ASUS ZenFone 3 Laser Safety Alert

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2017 10:19 pm
[OP]
Dec 14, 2016
20 posts
5 upvotes

ASUS ZenFone 3 Laser Safety Alert

Just got this message from my cell provider... Absolutely not happy... The phone by itself is acting out, very slow, frequent overheating issues....

"Alert! - ASUS ZenFone 3 Laser phones may not be able to make 911 calls. Your safety may be at risk.
Please contact ASUS directly at 1-888-678-3688 for more information. Please do not dial 911 except to report an actual emergency."
23 replies
Aug 7, 2010
665 posts
114 upvotes
Yep, enquired about one yesterday at Staples and was told that they had a recall for the Laser and the Max!
[OP]
Dec 14, 2016
20 posts
5 upvotes
Pls stay away from this phone. I have nothing but problems - it's very slow with serious RAM problems, plus constant overheating...
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10552 posts
575 upvotes
Scarborough
My Zenfone 3 received the message but its not the Laser so I have ignored it.

No problems like the other users but again, different phone.
[OP]
Dec 14, 2016
20 posts
5 upvotes
Called ASUS yesterday, they are well aware about this problem... No solution so far... Just advised me to call local police/hospitals/etc directly... my phone is still under the warranty.... They are not going to replace the phone... What kind of phone is it??? You can't even call 911 :))) stay away from ASUS...
Jul 11, 2017
17 posts
9 upvotes
Faced the same problem, and can agree, the phone is a piece of garbage! Got mine from Staples with an accidental warranty, dropped it about a month ago and when it started to have a bunch more issues, combined with issues from before the drop AND now this, I decided to take it in and claim the warranty. Got back what I paid ($315.35), and before I claimed, bought another phone (Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge for $350). Much happier now, a heck of a lot better than the stupid Zenfone 3, the Zenfone 2 was incredible, but dropped mine back in January and replaced with the 3, biggest mistake I've ever made!
May 5, 2008
892 posts
205 upvotes
sorry double post
Last edited by Tichi on Jul 12th, 2017 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 5, 2008
892 posts
205 upvotes
All Asus phones have been removed from the staples.ca web site?
Wows. Seems like a serious problem?
[OP]
Dec 14, 2016
20 posts
5 upvotes
ASUS should return money to phone owners... just to save reputation... The only reason I bought this phone was my very good experience with their computers... It turned out that computers and cell phones are different animals... :(
Mar 11, 2011
565 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto
Tichi wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 2:15 pm
All Asus phones have been removed from the staples.ca web site?
Wows. Seems like a serious problem?
Gone from BestBuy too. (Zenfone 3's that is.)
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4166 posts
472 upvotes
NORTH YORK
kotelva wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 6:41 pm
Just got this message from my cell provider... Absolutely not happy... The phone by itself is acting out, very slow, frequent overheating issues....

"Alert! - ASUS ZenFone 3 Laser phones may not be able to make 911 calls. Your safety may be at risk.Please contact ASUS directly at 1-888-678-3688 for more information. Please do not dial 911 except to report an actual emergency."
I have no problem with the Laser version. I did not have chance to use 911 though
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS/MMS/incoming call
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4166 posts
472 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Hmm It seems that a Public Mobile Staff has warned in their forum, not formal notice, that the phone "may" be at risk and "may not" make 911 call.
Is that Yes or NO? Is that software or hardware related?
Now I remember. I called many times 611 though. I trust 911 works.
That must be software issue then I believed (if verified)
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
Apr 20, 2015
85 posts
21 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
From what I have read it was a software update they last did to Android 7.1 or something a couple months ago. Being said I have tried 2 Asus cells and had nothing but problems. Will never touch one again and this just solidifies my not touching them for cells!
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4166 posts
472 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Pisidan wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 5:00 pm
From what I have read it was a software update they last did to Android 7.1 or something a couple months ago. Being said I have tried 2 Asus cells and had nothing but problems. Will never touch one again and this just solidifies my not touching them for cells!
I look at the Laser version I have . It is 7.0. As usual , I do not normally update until a while or until I have issue.
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan