Cell Phones

Asus ZenFone 4 Series Discussion Thread; ZenFone 4 Max is $300, ZenFone 4 is $550, ZenFone 4 Pro is $900

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2018 12:26 am
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
2308 posts
2726 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
why the hell do people even buy Zenfones?

Zenfone 4 max: Xiaomi Mi A1 does everything better. You can buy it for around $320 at canada computers or 250 shipping from china

Zenfone 4: LG G6. Similar price and the LG will do everything better. G6 is also bezeless.

Zenfone 4 Pro: iPhone 8, Samsung S8, S8+, Pixel 2, and maybe the V30 at a good deal. Oneplus 5 matches the specs and beats it at $200 less.

With every other phones, you get some kind of "feature"

Pixel/iPhone 8: best cameras, fast update, stock OS, fast and smooth, ip67
Samsung: great camera, wireless charging, sd card, fast charge, ip68, best AMOLED screen, bezeless design
LG: good camera with wide angle lens, sd card, wireless charging, ip68, bezeless design
Oneplus 5: super smooth, 8GB RAM, semi stock OS

Zenfone? I can't think of a single thing that stands out over the other manufacturers. I guess the Zenfone 4 does have 4k mAH battery but 3500 with the other phones are generally enough for most people.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
Darn, Zenfone 4 is out already? Just when I need to warranty my Zenfone 3 for a burnt out vibrator motor. Hope ASUS won't break it worse to push their Zenfone 4.
Feb 27, 2014
339 posts
84 upvotes
ASUS ZenFone 4 (ZE554KL)

Review ASUS ZenFone 4: A dual camera system on a mid-range smartphone!
Digital Citizen - 11/13/2017
https://www.digitalcitizen.life/review-asus-zenfone-4

The ASUS ZenFone 4 is a good smartphone for:

• People who want a mid-range Android smartphone that looks good
• Users who want a smartphone with a dual camera system that costs less than traditional flagships
• People who want a good Android smartphone but do not want to pay the money required for owning a flagship

Pros and cons

Here are the positive aspects of the ASUS ZenFone 4:

• This smartphone has a good build quality and feels well made
• The design is not innovative but the Gorilla Glass found on both of its sides makes it look elegant
• It has a dual camera system on its back that takes good-looking photos and has optical image stabilization
• The hardware inside ASUS ZenFone 4 is more than enough to help it perform any smartphone activity, fast and fluent
• It bundles less bloatware than previous ASUS smartphones

The less positive aspects that we identified are the following:

• Having glass on both sides means that the smartphone is prone to break more easily than other devices with bodies made of metal or polycarbonate
• Low-light photography is a weak point of ASUS ZenFone 4
• At launch, its price tag is a bit high. At similar prices, other smartphones have slightly better hardware. However, most of them don’t have a dual-camera system, so you need to pick what matters most to you

Verdict

The ASUS ZenFone 4 is a good Android smartphone. We like the way it looks, the way it works and multitasks, and we like the quality of the photos and videos it shoots. The dual rear cameras are interesting but, as far as we are concerned, the main camera of the two is the one that deserves your attention, as it offers the best results. The secondary dual camera is there for wide angle photos or videos, but its resolution is rather small and it is not usable in low light conditions. We must also point out the fact that the battery is good enough to keep you away from the power socket for a day or even more, if you use the smartphone lightly. Overall, the ASUS ZenFone 4 feels like a well made smartphone that does not disappoint its owners. It is one of the best mid-range Android smartphones we tested this year but, we feel that, at launch, it is a bit overpriced. The dual-camera system is a differentiator in the mid-range segment but some users will want slightly more hardware power for the same budget. In the end, the choice is yours and you decide what matters most to you: the processor you get or the dual-camera system.

Source
Feb 27, 2014
339 posts
84 upvotes
ASUS ZenFone 4 (ZE554KL)

ASUS ZenFone 4 - How it films a landscape (Source: Digital Citizen)
Feb 27, 2014
339 posts
84 upvotes
ASUS ZenFone 4 (ZE554KL)

ASUS ZenFone 4 - how it films videos with lots of movement involved (Source: Digital Citizen)
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
13194 posts
7650 upvotes
Kanata
Would be interested in the ZF4 if it was $400. At $550, it's too high, imo. Sad that mid-range pricing is considered that high now.
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
12603 posts
3028 upvotes
Richmond Hill
$550 for a Snapdragon 630 phone... Asus wants a piece of that high margin pie, but they're going to fall flat because nobody will actually buy their phone.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
Was looking again at a Zenfone 4 for BF...

What is this mess with Zenfones 4s at staples.ca?
https://www.staples.ca/en/ASUS-Unlocked ... &min=&max=

There are some labeled ZC520...(look more like older zenfone 3),
and then there are some ZC554... (look more powerful).

Difficult to judge which ones are better though...

Is there a clear layout of all available Zenfone 4s somewhere?
Mar 14, 2017
244 posts
162 upvotes
Zenfone 4 Pro should not be priced at CDN$899. In US it is priced at $599, which is approx. CDN$760. IMO CDN$760 is still too high for a Zenfone - let alone $899.

BHPhotoVideo did not discount ZF4P for Black Friday or else I may have considered it.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
4420 posts
313 upvotes
Toronto
Reviews about this phone seem bad. I was looking at them for an in law and not sure if I could recommend them.

Anyone say otherwise?
Nothing to see here...keep looking.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
Zero1 wrote: Reviews about this phone seem bad. I was looking at them for an in law and not sure if I could recommend them.

Anyone say otherwise?
Which phone model?
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
4420 posts
313 upvotes
Toronto
Zenphone 4 Max. Bad ui that experiences lag according to some reviews I have read.

If this has been fixed with recent updates then this I can ignore.
Nothing to see here...keep looking.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2007
1002 posts
251 upvotes
Ottawa
When I decided that I finally need to abandon Windows 10 Mobile, The Zenfone 4 (ZF 4) is the Android phone I became fixed on last month. And I am still fixated on it. It seems to have features I want, and other phones with similar features (like the dual camera), are more expensive than the ZF 4. Does anyone have suggestions as to what I could get that has the same specs for cheaper or better specs for the same price?