195 upvotes

Atari back in the console business!!

It's official.

12 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9722 posts
835 upvotes
Looks hideous. Looks like a fat PS3 with retro design (ridges and fake wood paneling).
Nov 28, 2011
635 posts
161 upvotes
Markham
yeah, good luck to the cash-strapped company to try and break into the console market. Hint: it won't look good.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7253 posts
698 upvotes
Victoria
It's all about the games now. The hardware is all similar (give or take a little power). The only reason to buy another console is if it has awesome games the other consoles don't have. It's why the last gen I had all 3 consoles, but this gen I've only got a ps4.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1677 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto
An irrelevant company trying to make some noise.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5079 posts
1559 upvotes
Toronto
the lack of interaction on that tweet and general lack of impact that announcement made is all the evidence they need to not move ahead with this
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
7935 posts
1216 upvotes
I really hope it's a cool blend of old and new meaning very high tech modern versions of Asteroids etc.

We shall see but I love that someone is putting some $$ into a new console.
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17578 posts
1259 upvotes
zod wrote:
Jun 21st, 2017 12:35 pm
It's all about the games now. The hardware is all similar (give or take a little power). The only reason to buy another console is if it has awesome games the other consoles don't have. It's why the last gen I had all 3 consoles, but this gen I've only got a ps4.
Atari CEO said it's PC based and they were inspired by the NES Mini so expect an Atari 2600 mini though they have done it before.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7253 posts
698 upvotes
Victoria
Haz wrote:
Jun 29th, 2017 2:12 am
Atari CEO said it's PC based and they were inspired by the NES Mini so expect an Atari 2600 mini though they have done it before.
Atari 2600 was my childhood console (that's why we got when everyone else had a nintendo :) ). That could be interesting. There's so many games though. When Nintendo does it, and restricts the devices to 20ish games it seems like underkill. You could probably include the entire known universe of atari titles for a few hundred mb's of memory :)

My favourite is still carnival which was the freebie game with my 2600 (which was the 2600 jr. I think... it was smaller ... not the bigger one with the wood paneling).

I might buy an atari 2600 mini :)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5852 posts
1229 upvotes
I think it was The Angry Videogame Nerd (James Rolfe) that did a retrospective showing even simple games that should be easy to convert from arcade to console
like Pong, and Pac-Man had terrible controls on the Atari's awful controller and barely functioned as intended at all.

The Atari was so bad that it almost crashed the video game industry before Nintendo came along and showed
everyone it was possible to make good home console games.

I don't think any Atari systems even have any good games at all to make a viable retro NES-mini style compilation system.

Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7253 posts
698 upvotes
Victoria
Space Invaders
Pac Man
Yars Revenge
Defender
Pitfall
Asteroids
Dig Dug
Frogger
Missile Command
Ms. Pac Man
Donkey Kong
Mario Brothers
Centipede
Tank
Chopper Command
Pole Position
Q-Bert
Super Breakout

The Atari 2600 had a great run. It's really old. I think it originally came out in '77, so by the time the famicom (Japenses NES) came out in '83 it was already pretty old. You can't really compare the two. The 2600 was a full generation before the NES. In 1977 all there was was pong....

Atari ended their great run by investing in vapour products and putting out a few crappy games. They stuttered then Nintendo took over. They couldn't compete with that.

What I did find funny was my childhood atari was a 2600 jr. which came out in '86 and was supercheap. After it had it's day, they were stilling them to less fortunately families who couldn't afford nintendo's :(

I think there's enough quality games to do a 2600 mini, but the people nostaligic for it are going to be my age or older. To everyone else the games look super basic because it's console generation #1.