Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

ATCO Energy Sign-up Incentive - $25 -$100 [AB only]

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2017 12:21 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 6, 2016
63 posts
10 upvotes
Airdrie, Alberta
You can monitor the daily spot price on http://ets.aeso.ca/

Just signed up with ATCO and left Easymax. I was on a variable rate with ENMAX and will continue the same with ATCO. The incentives and cheaper admin fee did it for me. I also did confirm the ability to switch from variable to fixed.
Aug 2, 2007
249 posts
418 upvotes
BCMTouring wrote: You can monitor the daily spot price on http://ets.aeso.ca/

Just signed up with ATCO and left Easymax. I was on a variable rate with ENMAX and will continue the same with ATCO. The incentives and cheaper admin fee did it for me. I also did confirm the ability to switch from variable to fixed.
Looks like Enmax is also trying to price match. Maybe some haggling can be done?
Jan 6, 2016
63 posts
10 upvotes
Airdrie, Alberta
HeinzKetchup wrote: Looks like Enmax is also trying to price match. Maybe some haggling can be done?
She offered me a $100 incentive to stay with Enmax, but mentioned nothing on the admin fees. She also mentioned I was supporting Alberta by staying with Enmax. If I'm not happy I can always switch back to Enmax with no penalty.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2007
2372 posts
469 upvotes
Edmonton
By the way, I read the terms and conditions. I don't believe you can cancel ANYTIME. You can cancel during the INITIAL term, and 15 days before renewal. Unless I read it wrong? Plus, what exactly does "initial term" mean? Does that mean 15 days after your first billing cycle? Or?
Jan 6, 2016
63 posts
10 upvotes
Airdrie, Alberta
refraxion wrote: By the way, I read the terms and conditions. I don't believe you can cancel ANYTIME. You can cancel during the INITIAL term, and 15 days before renewal. Unless I read it wrong? Plus, what exactly does "initial term" mean? Does that mean 15 days after your first billing cycle? Or?
That's sounds like standard verbiage for these type of contracts and "Initial Term" would be the length of the contract you originally signed up for.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10930 posts
3663 upvotes
be careful switching from enmax, a lot of folks are grandfathered into a natural gas + 49 cents price for gas, now its +99 cents. so make sure you check that and do the math before you switch.
Dec 14, 2006
417 posts
386 upvotes
BCMTouring wrote: She offered me a $100 incentive to stay with Enmax, but mentioned nothing on the admin fees. She also mentioned I was supporting Alberta by staying with Enmax. If I'm not happy I can always switch back to Enmax with no penalty.
Lol. ATCO is an alberta based company...
Dec 17, 2006
567 posts
330 upvotes
Calgary
BCMTouring wrote: She offered me a $100 incentive to stay with Enmax, but mentioned nothing on the admin fees. She also mentioned I was supporting Alberta by staying with Enmax. If I'm not happy I can always switch back to Enmax with no penalty.
I just contacted Enmax and they offered me a 100.00 credit on my next bill to stay. No signing any contracts or anything. Good deal!
Feb 2, 2005
976 posts
136 upvotes
Just got the $100 credit from Enmax to match the AtcoEnergy sign up incentive, apparently no strings attached. 10 minute phone call, with minimal on hold time. Had to ease into the request as they stress that I'm getting the $100 Easymax rewards annualy compared to the Atco $50 annual bonus credit.

Enmax charges 99 cents on top of the variable market gas rate, vs. Atco's 89 cents. 10 cent difference per GJ. My avg. usage is about 10 GJ, so that's about $1 savings difference per month. As I was not on the grandfathered price plan ~50 cents.
Power is the same at Enmax and Atco for variable market price plus 1 cent.

The fixed monthly admin fees are lower at Atco $3.50 for gas and $3.50 for power when bundled with Atco.
My Enmax bill has $6.53 for gas, $6.54 for power for admin fees. A savings of $6 per month with Atco.

Hopefully Enmax with close the gap anyway, as it's not by a huge amount.

They also mentioned that they don't take credit card BUT they are currently in the process setting up a credit card payment system, perhaps with some sort of bonus loyalty points, such as air miles. I get 2% cash back on recurring payments from my credit card, so that's about a $3-4 savings per month as well for Atco.

Great to see some real competition finally!
Aug 21, 2015
52 posts
61 upvotes
Does anyone know if the credit check ATCO does is a hard or soft check?

Also currently on the floating rate with EasyMax just have the electricity as I live in a condo. Think it would be worth the switch right now or wait and see what Enmax comes out with.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
3744 posts
1986 upvotes
Vancouver
Roger21 wrote: I'm with Enmax now, but I noticed that the kW/h and GJ price is so low, probably not worth switching.
This is my bill now
Just out of curiosity, what's the size of your house ? Also, what's the setup for heating, hot water and cooking ? TIA
Nov 14, 2012
495 posts
196 upvotes
CALGARY
cdogg26 wrote: I just contacted Enmax and they offered me a 100.00 credit on my next bill to stay. No signing any contracts or anything. Good deal!
Now go to Atco :D
Jul 21, 2013
979 posts
661 upvotes
Calgary
charlesd79 wrote: Just out of curiosity, what's the size of your house ? Also, what's the setup for heating, hot water and cooking ? TIA
1800 sqft town home in Cochrane, cooking and heating on gas and water is electrical.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2004
2144 posts
878 upvotes
Ottawa
Roger21 wrote: I'm with Enmax now, but I noticed that the kW/h and GJ price is so low, probably not worth switching.

This is my bill now:

ATCO keeps talking about market price, but where can I find the current historical prices?
If I am understanding this correctly, your electricity bill for 1056 kWh service consumption last month was $127.98 plus presumably 5% GST totaling $134.38. Last month here in Ottawa South on Hydro One, I also used 1053 kWh of electricity, but my bill totaled $217.99 even though my "on-peak" usage was only 195 kWh (less than 20% of total consumption). Is that correct??

You weren't clear about how much gas you used but after the 5% GST, it cost you $55.21. Last month I used 463 m3 at the meter before the artificial 'PEF adjustment' which cost me $158.63.

Please let us know how much gas you consumed relative to that bill and confirm my presumptions about your hydro consumption and taxes were correct?
yadda, yadda, yadda
Jul 21, 2013
979 posts
661 upvotes
Calgary
pauldryan wrote: If I am understanding this correctly, your electricity bill for 1056 kWh service consumption last month was $127.98 plus presumably 5% GST totaling $134.38. Last month here in Ottawa South on Hydro One, I also used 1053 kWh of electricity, but my bill totaled $217.99 even though my "on-peak" usage was only 195 kWh (less than 20% of total consumption). Is that correct??

You weren't clear about how much gas you used but after the 5% GST, it cost you $55.21. Last month I used 463 m3 at the meter before the artificial 'PEF adjustment' which cost me $158.63.

Please let us know how much gas you consumed relative to that bill and confirm my presumptions about your hydro consumption and taxes were correct?
Gas was 1.29GJ + 2.53GJ, they switch rates twice a month I guess. Don't know how many m3 that is though.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2004
2144 posts
878 upvotes
Ottawa
Roger21 wrote: Gas was 1.29GJ + 2.53GJ, they switch rates twice a month I guess. Don't know how many m3 that is though.
According to the NEB, the standard conversion rate is 1 m3 = 0.0373 GJ so my consumption last month was 17.27 GJ or 4.5 times as much as you used in Calgary. Our rate structure for natural gas delivery with Enbridge here in Ontario is completely different from yours so it is almost impossible to compare the final rate difference unless the consumption is pretty much the same. For the information of anyone else being charged by the cubic meter, you used 102.4 m3 last month for a total cost of $55.21

Unless you're a business that can pass on the throughput of GST, it's probably always wise to compare your energy costs with all taxes and fees in much like you pay for your gas at the pumps. Here in the higher tax regimes, the incremental cost/savings associated with the tax can be pretty significant.

The bottom line for me is that you're paying 12.7 cents per kWh in Calgary and we're paying 20.6 cents per kWh here in Ottawa. I wonder how long before Notley figures out that 'carbon pricing' can goose up your power rates by about 35% with the revenues going to the province as an offset to lost oil revenues.
yadda, yadda, yadda
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2391 posts
682 upvotes
Vancouver Island
Thanks OP. Will be giving ATCO a call on Monday to look into switching from EasyMax. Being able to pay with a CC for me is a good enough incentive.
Jan 21, 2003
346 posts
103 upvotes
Edmonton
Anyone have experience with how these variable rate plans compare to the regulated rate option (RRO)?

ATCO has their variable rate + $0.89 / GJ service fee while currently with Direct Energy Regulated we just pay the regulated rate with no additional service fee. Would the regulated rate be lower in this case?
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
2596 posts
1987 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
pauldryan wrote: According to the NEB, the standard conversion rate is 1 m3 = 0.0373 GJ so my consumption last month was 17.27 GJ or 4.5 times as much as you used in Calgary. Our rate structure for natural gas delivery with Enbridge here in Ontario is completely different from yours so it is almost impossible to compare the final rate difference unless the consumption is pretty much the same. For the information of anyone else being charged by the cubic meter, you used 102.4 m3 last month for a total cost of $55.21

Unless you're a business that can pass on the throughput of GST, it's probably always wise to compare your energy costs with all taxes and fees in much like you pay for your gas at the pumps. Here in the higher tax regimes, the incremental cost/savings associated with the tax can be pretty significant.

The bottom line for me is that you're paying 12.7 cents per kWh in Calgary and we're paying 20.6 cents per kWh here in Ottawa. I wonder how long before Notley figures out that 'carbon pricing' can goose up your power rates by about 35% with the revenues going to the province as an offset to lost oil revenues.
I pay a 8 cent/kWh fixed rate, so my electricity ends up being around 15 cents/kWh.

People don't understand the impact of the carbon tax. At the rate the NDP has proposed it will add 50% to the cost of natural gas. It should be something around 40% for electricity.
Oct 12, 2011
98 posts
93 upvotes
EDMONTON
I just signed up today for both services on variable rate.

Was looking at Terms and Conditions

6. CHANGES TO THIS AGREEMENT:

A. Can Atco make changes to this agreement?

Other than the Energy Charge, we may change, modify, add or remove portions of this Agreement (including, the Administration Charge and the Service Fee) at any time and at our sole discretion. Before doing so, however, we will provide you with at least thirty (30) days advance notice of the proposed change.

How I read this is they can change $3.50 Admin fee with 30 days notice. Also they can change service fee, i.e, the fee added on to the variable charges for services.

Just thought I would point that out to people that have or are thinking of signing up of future things that could effect contract prices.

For now I will try out service and if they jack Admin fee or Service Fee i will react accordingly.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)