Expired Hot Deals

[ATCOenergy] [Alberta Only] Free Google Home when switching to ATCOenergy

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2017 5:08 pm
Dec 2, 2013
52 posts
45 upvotes
Ad_Rock wrote: I don't think they are saying that you will get the 'green' energy delivered directly to your home, but rather they will ensure that your portion of their overall draw is sourced from 'green' energy sources. I am pretty sure everyone understands this concept, your power usage is measureable and they will ensure your portion of the total is 'green'. It doesn't really matter who uses the 'green' energy, as long as it is available in system.
If they are available and producing, they are supplying the grid somewhere, yes. Overall, its a marketing gimmick.
Apr 7, 2007
663 posts
182 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Hard or soft credit check?
Will asnwer my own question: Just called ATCO and started sign-up procedure.
The CSR asked if I was OK with a "hard" credit check (good for -25 points on your credit score). I said no thank you and ended the call.
But wait, there is some good news. I called Enmax first to ask if there would be a cancellation fee on my account which there was not since I was out of contract.
The Enmax CSR offered me $50 credit on my account to not switch. I'll be calling Enmax back now and taking that offer up. LOL
Update: called Enmax back and they gave me a $100 credit to "renew terms and conditions" and stay on the variable gas and electricity plan.
Thanks OP. The ATCO deal is a good one, but I didn't want that hard credit check.
Oct 12, 2017
2 posts
3 upvotes
Thanks for info. Have searched RFD a few times but just signed up, basically to update this.
Looked into Atco vs Enmax
Atco benefits: Basically $50/year bonus, 5$ less monthly admin if you get both gas/electricity, plus the Google Home promo (apparently retail $149), minimally cheaper for Gas ($.10 per GJ, dollars per year for average home)
I contacted Enmax tonight see what they could offer.
Offered up matching one year's worth of inital Atco promo: $50 + $149 = $200. Can change variable to fixed as I want.
Also they now take Credit Cards as prior posts have mentioned which is great, and I like all Calgary Water/Sewer charges etc on one bill.
Longer term Atco likely cheaper and I'm happy their competition has probably pushed Enmax on Credit Cards and making matching offers, at least in ballpark.
But I'm happy to stick with Enmax given benefits outlined for now. If you do too, at least get a promo though.
FYI, make sure you know the Atco offers if you contact, CSR will probably ask why you might change to get an idea of how knowledgeable you are on the options! Which you probably are if you're reading this.
Apr 7, 2007
663 posts
182 upvotes
Calgary, AB
quietriot wrote: Thanks for info. Have searched RFD a few times but just signed up, basically to update this.
Looked into Atco vs Enmax
Atco benefits: Basically $50/year bonus, 5$ less monthly admin if you get both gas/electricity, plus the Google Home promo (apparently retail $149), minimally cheaper for Gas ($.10 per GJ, dollars per year for average home)
Offered up matching one year's worth of inital Atco promo: $50 + $149 = $200. Can change variable to fixed as I want.
Also they now take Credit Cards as prior posts have mentioned which is great, and I like all Calgary Water/Sewer charges etc on one bill.
Longer term Atco likely cheaper and I'm happy their competition has probably pushed Enmax on Credit Cards and making matching offers, at least in ballpark.
But I'm happy to stick with Enmax given benefits outlined for now. If you do too, at least get a promo though.
FYI, make sure you know the Atco offers if you contact, CSR will probably ask why you might change to get an idea of how knowledgeable you are on the options! Which you probably are if you're reading this.
Nicely done, wish I had that info when I contacted Enmax.
Nov 18, 2014
493 posts
467 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Currently with Epcor and Direct Energy, both variable rates.
Epcor 12mo average was c$3.556 per kW/h
Direct Energy 12 mo average was $2.40 per GJ

ATCO for electricity 12mo average was c$3.23 per kW/h.
ATCO for gas 12mo average was $3.75 per GJ.

I would be $41.97 cheaper on electricity with ATCO and $221.56 more expensive with gas on ATCO.
Even with the $50/year credit not worth it for me as I would still be $130 more expensive overall...
May 5, 2012
352 posts
132 upvotes
CALGARY
quietriot wrote: Atco benefits: Basically $50/year bonus, 5$ less monthly admin if you get both gas/electricity, plus the Google Home promo (apparently retail $149), minimally cheaper for Gas ($.10 per GJ, dollars per year for average home)
Offered up matching one year's worth of inital Atco promo: $50 + $149 = $200.
Thank you. As I saw this thread I was like.. hey maybe Enmax will match it like last time. I will be having a chat with enmax soon :)
Aug 12, 2010
581 posts
145 upvotes
plznote wrote: Isn't anyone else mildly uncomfortable with an always listening device in your house like Google Home?
You mean like your cell phone?
May 5, 2012
352 posts
132 upvotes
CALGARY
Spoke to Enmax and was offered 150$ credit and they will no longer charge me the 1 cent/kWh for Transaction fee... Not sure if that expires though.

Thank you Atco (and OP for posting)!

Edit: I found out I was switched from my "indexed floating electricity rate" to the "regulated floating electricity rate" so I was slightly misinformed. But that't a difference of just 0.2 cents so I am not that annoyed. Though I wish the lady told me about putting me on a new plan ahead of time.
Last edited by starbelow on Oct 16th, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 19, 2012
59 posts
114 upvotes
CALGARY
Thanks OP! Phoned Enmax and they offered a $50 credit, but would not offer more. Phoned ATCO and it took 16 minutes start to finish and now I have auto pay on my credit card and a new Google Home.