Students

Is Athabasca University feasible?

[OP]
Jul 12, 2017
16 posts
5 upvotes

Is Athabasca University feasible?

Hi. I'm a student enrolled in Seneca's Bachelors of Technology in Software development. My goal for grad school is to do my masters at ColumbiaU in NY. Now, before anyone goes "LOL from Seneca to Ivy League", I did years of research before jumping in this pool. Trust me, Seneca is definitely not going to be the only thing in my grad-school application. If you're wondering why I didn't go to UofT. That's because I couldn't afford it and in some weird way, Seneca's schedule worked well with my work (I work full-time as an Uber driver) but it no longer does because the strike crammed everything together. I can no longer juggle work and school. For this, an online undergrad degree seems feasible. The schools in US like Penn State World Campus are hella expensive. I was thinking about Athabasca U but I have received very good and very bad reviews about it. My goal is still to go to Columbia to Master in Machine Learning. How feasible do you think this is? What would you suggest?
3 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3451 posts
290 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
omaroz92 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 9:22 pm
Hi. I'm a student enrolled in Seneca's Bachelors of Technology in Software development. My goal for grad school is to do my masters at ColumbiaU in NY. Now, before anyone goes "LOL from Seneca to Ivy League", I did years of research before jumping in this pool. Trust me, Seneca is definitely not going to be the only thing in my grad-school application. If you're wondering why I didn't go to UofT. That's because I couldn't afford it and in some weird way, Seneca's schedule worked well with my work (I work full-time as an Uber driver) but it no longer does because the strike crammed everything together. I can no longer juggle work and school. For this, an online undergrad degree seems feasible. The schools in US like Penn State World Campus are hella expensive. I was thinking about Athabasca U but I have received very good and very bad reviews about it. My goal is still to go to Columbia to Master in Machine Learning. How feasible do you think this is? What would you suggest?
One of the most important things in a grad school application are your academic references. If you're going from and online undergrad to a brick and mortar grad school program the admissions committee may see an issue with this considering you have no physical interaction with your previous professors. Just my two cents as someone in grad school.
Jul 31, 2017
50 posts
11 upvotes
th12mq wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 11:54 pm
From my understanding.. many people are holding back from Athabasca due to the uncertainty of their future.
My suggestion would go course by course and not strap yourself to paying for a full program on Athabasca..

https://globalnews.ca/news/3513941/repo ... r-concern/
Funny, Coates was Dean at UW after I graduated and I was in a PhD program with his son.