Careers

AthabascaU VS YorkU For Computer Science

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2019 11:09 am
[OP]
May 27, 2019
4 posts

AthabascaU VS YorkU For Computer Science

I currently have a 2 year diploma in software engineering from Sheridan College. I think getting my degree would be the best option as I have no work experience and am struggling to find developer work. Which one should I go with?

Athabasca:
+ Will take around 2 years or less to complete
+ Can work and try to get developer experience while doing the program
- The degree is in Computer Information Science (CIS) and not Computer Science (CS), not sure if this makes a difference
- It is an online degree, not sure if employers care about this or not

York:
+ An actual university, might help when getting jobs
+ Has an internship portion if I decide to do an extra year
- Will take around 3 years to complete
- Cannot work while doing the program, or only limited times to do so (in the summer or during internship)

I eventually want to work for more well known companies in Canada (AMD, Shopify, etc) or move to USA and work for even bigger companies (Google, Amazon, etc) within 5 years of graduating hopefully.
7 replies
Sep 24, 2015
220 posts
85 upvotes
WeebRonin wrote:
May 29th, 2019 11:33 pm
I currently have a 2 year diploma in software engineering from Sheridan College. I think getting my degree would be the best option as I have no work experience and am struggling to find developer work. Which one should I go with?

Athabasca:
- The degree is in Computer Information Science (CIS) and not Computer Science (CS), not sure if this makes a difference

York:
- Cannot work while doing the program, or only limited times to do so (in the summer or during internship)

I eventually want to work for more well known companies in Canada (AMD, Shopify, etc) or move to USA and work for even bigger companies (Google, Amazon, etc) within 5 years of graduating hopefully.
Going to York and doing an internship would probably be the best option. Getting a job without any experience is pretty hard to do these days with the way the job market is now.
Jan 1, 2017
523 posts
345 upvotes
York or any other physical university. Employers will laugh and throw out your resume when they see Athabaska university on it.
Jan 18, 2017
496 posts
169 upvotes
From what I understand, the tech industry is generally school-/qualification-agnostic and heavily rely on what you've done. That's a good thing; because it saves you from spending time/money to get a piece of paper.

How's your portfolio? Build that up and get Sheridan to help you to find work.

Sheridan also has a Bachelor of Applied Computer Science in Mobile Computing: https://academics.sheridancollege.ca/pr ... -computing
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
6662 posts
1639 upvotes
Maple
With Athabasca, you still end up with no work experience, with just a piece of paper. York with co-op is much better deal.
[OP]
May 27, 2019
4 posts
KevCnew wrote:
May 30th, 2019 10:04 am
From what I understand, the tech industry is generally school-/qualification-agnostic and heavily rely on what you've done. That's a good thing; because it saves you from spending time/money to get a piece of paper.

How's your portfolio? Build that up and get Sheridan to help you to find work.

Sheridan also has a Bachelor of Applied Computer Science in Mobile Computing: https://academics.sheridancollege.ca/pr ... -computing
I have a few projects that i've made. One involving crypto gambling, a few bots for popular applications/websites, and android games. Not sure if these projects are any good, would like some advice on what to make. The Sheridan bachelors will take around the same amount of time as the one from York, I would rather go to a real University in that case.
teoconca wrote:
May 30th, 2019 1:22 pm
With Athabasca, you still end up with no work experience, with just a piece of paper. York with co-op is much better deal.
I heard it's only an internship in the 4th year for York CS.
Jun 8, 2019
67 posts
10 upvotes
GTA
WeebRonin wrote:
May 29th, 2019 11:33 pm

Athabasca:

York:

You didn't mention how old you are in your post. That does make a difference in your job search. CIS is not the same as a CS degree - CIS being a correspondence course is kind of iffy in my opinion. Your success depends on the hiring manager in the company, how she/he views the correspondence course. There are some HR people who will be impressed at how you are able to complete this course and work at the same time (like myself). Keep in mind you will be competing for a career with those who are fresh out of school with degrees from well regarded Universities ie. UofT, UofWestern Ontarion, Queen's etc.. It depends on how you sell yourself. Good Luck!!
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2797 posts
576 upvotes
York. Great profs, research labs, industry connections, and good program overall.