• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2016 8:55 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
2881 posts
168 upvotes
I'm currently going here on a group deal as well, and I've been to three or four other places for laser hair removal in the past. I'd say Atlantis is somewhere in the middle, not the best by any means, but not the worst (I could tell you horror stories). I'm seeing results on some areas, and not as much on others, but from my experience at other clinics, I think this might have as much to do with the areas being treated as it does with the person doing the treatment. In my experience, bikini/brazillian is one of the least sucessful areas to get significant, lasting, hair reduction on. I've had my bikini line done at two other places and neither one showed good results, friends of mine say the same (and about a number of different machines as well, not just soprano). I've had the best success with areas around my scalp (my sideburns and hairline at the nape of my neck shed like crazy and were almost completely bare after 2-3 treatments), and the worst results on my bikini line and forearms for some reason.

I do agree with you that the service at atlantis can be hit and miss, depending on who's working at the time. The first time I was there, there was an older woman that ran the laser in a tiny little area of my underarm and then stopped. When I told her that my hairline went beyond the area she treated, she said that tiny area was all the underarm covered and that I'd have to pay to have my upper arms done if I wanted a larger area of my underarm lasered. Another $200 or whatever to extend the area by an inch or so? No thanks. :facepalm: The next time I was there was completely different, there was a younger woman working, and when I commented that the way she was treating my forearms (with one slow pass instead of several quick passes) was painful, she explained that that is how they were told to treat larger areas, but immediately changed to the repeated circular passes anyways and checked that that was less painful for me, and she didn't have "unique" definitions of where the boundries of treatment areas were either. ;) The last time I went there was a different middle aged woman (Sherry, I think?) that was friendly and professional, no issues there. I wish there was a way to know who would be working that day when you book your appointment.

So, anyways, while I am getting decent results from the treatments, there definitely are some unsettling things about Atlantis. It's really strange the way they seem to try to conserve the ultrasound gel, I've never before been to a place that scrapes it off one area of your body and then re-uses it on the next...gross, and sometimes they use so little of it the laser catches the skin and gives you an unpleasant jolt. Definitely not the most polished and professional outfit around.

So, while I am seeing shedding and hair reduction in most areas I'm having treated there, I wouldn't go back after the voucher unless these things improve. Their prices are pretty good for the results I'm getting so far, but I think I'd rather pay a bit more and go to one of the other places that I've tried that don't try to re-define treatment areas, don't skimp on the ultrasound gel, and give you enough towels to clean yourself up without you having to beg for every piece...what's with that anyways? :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5136 posts
49 upvotes
$99 for the year sounds really cheap!
I'm not sure I'd want to get this done at a salon.

I have only been to a cosmetic doctor's office that did laser and ended up getting a deal as I knew someone there (was charged $50 or $70 for 3 small body parts) per treatment.
But it was the actual doctor that did the laser treatment....

I have also seen some medical clinics, like the walk in ones that do laser now.....those seem like they would be ok?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
1720 posts
87 upvotes
Barrie
Thanks for your post jerrysiz! I just saw it now :) you're right, it definitely depends on who you get lol and yeah, the gel!!! I was wondering about the whole scrape and reuse thing LOL I've never seen that done before either.

I am seeing better results now surprisingly. Underarms is pretty good, I can go for like a week and not any hair, bikini area is improved, but patchy (tmi? Lol )

Its definitely not the most professional place, I agree with everything you said. Thanks for the informative post :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
1720 posts
87 upvotes
Barrie
Bookpreviews wrote:
Oct 12th, 2012 8:26 pm
$99 for the year sounds really cheap!
I'm not sure I'd want to get this done at a salon.

I have only been to a cosmetic doctor's office that did laser and ended up getting a deal as I knew someone there (was charged $50 or $70 for 3 small body parts) per treatment.
But it was the actual doctor that did the laser treatment....

I have also seen some medical clinics, like the walk in ones that do laser now.....those seem like they would be ok?
Wow thats a good deal! 3 small areas for $50-75/treatment is good, especially done by a doctor, where was this?

I think the walk in ones would be ok too
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5136 posts
49 upvotes
chickibum wrote:
Oct 25th, 2012 8:04 pm
Wow thats a good deal! 3 small areas for $50-75/treatment is good, especially done by a doctor, where was this?
I think the walk in ones would be ok too
This was in Ottawa I'd say 8+ years ago.
I had gone to a eye surgeon for a apt and he was starting a cosmetic kind of thing but just with lasers and eye surgery a few years ago.
I was prob one of the first clients there also.
But I'm pretty sure the doctor sold his clinic and is now only working as a eye surgeon in a hospital now -I don't live in that part of the city,it is 1.5 hours away,so not so easy to check out.
Dec 2, 2008
572 posts
98 upvotes
chickibum wrote:
Sep 21st, 2012 2:17 pm
Thanks for posting Nerak!

Yeah he is really rude, I don't like him either.

Did you tip after your sessions? It doesn't seem right to tip for this type of service
Wow.

Someone is performing a service in your private parts, frankly one that is pretty gross, and you feel weird tipping? Ugh.

There's a difference between being a deal addict and rude and cheap as most RFDers know.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
1720 posts
87 upvotes
Barrie
canadian gal wrote:
Nov 12th, 2012 8:38 pm
Wow.

Someone is performing a service in your private parts, frankly one that is pretty gross, and you feel weird tipping? Ugh.

There's a difference between being a deal addict and rude and cheap as most RFDers know.
I feel really bad for you if you think that area is gross. Grow up.

Secondly, they are technically trained and get paid as such. Do you tip a nurse?

In any event, I tip Mary because she is awesome. But when I get facials and laser done at toronto cosmetic clinic you don't tip there because its a medical environment, and this place is more of a spa environment which I guess is the difference.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2570 posts
257 upvotes
Vancouver
chickibum wrote:
Nov 13th, 2012 7:30 am
Secondly, they are technically trained and get paid as such. Do you tip a nurse?

In any event, I tip Mary because she is awesome. But when I get facials and laser done at toronto cosmetic clinic you don't tip there because its a medical environment, and this place is more of a spa environment which I guess is the difference.

+1. I agree. I never tipped any of my laser techs or microdermabrasion techs.
Dec 2, 2008
572 posts
98 upvotes
litebrite wrote:
Nov 13th, 2012 12:57 pm
+1. I agree. I never tipped any of my laser techs or microdermabrasion techs.
Well then.... You and the OP are both in a small minority and frankly rude. You both can kid yourself that these people are like nurses but clearly even the OP didn't take that too far as they claimed they do in fact tip, though grudgingly. I cannot believe that I have to post this, but hey its RFD. Maybe this will help the poor workers you both cross paths with in the future.

http://spas.about.com/od/spaetiquetteba ... ipping.htm
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2570 posts
257 upvotes
Vancouver
canadian gal wrote:
Nov 19th, 2012 10:33 am
Well then.... You and the OP are both in a small minority and frankly rude. You both can kid yourself that these people are like nurses but clearly even the OP didn't take that too far as they claimed they do in fact tip, though grudgingly. I cannot believe that I have to post this, but hey its RFD. Maybe this will help the poor workers you both cross paths with in the future.

http://spas.about.com/od/spaetiquetteba ... ipping.htm
Puhleeese. Don't sound all self-righteous. We're talking a MEDICAL environment here. NOT a spa. The medical estheticians are compensated adequately and don't rely on tips.
Oct 9, 2013
1 posts
litebrite wrote:
Nov 19th, 2012 12:38 pm
Puhleeese. Don't sound all self-righteous. We're talking a MEDICAL environment here. NOT a spa. The medical estheticians are compensated adequately and don't rely on tips.
The only way for medical estheticians to be compensated "adequately" is when you pay equally "adequately" for the services you want. Not $99 unlimited full-body hair removal for a year.... LOL
Feb 7, 2007
104 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
Very disappointed!!!

The location in Mississauga is dirty and it smells like a construction materials warehouse, not like a spa. The walls are dirty, the floors are dirty, the trims are all dusty. They did not cover the chair with paper. I refused to sit bare skin on the same chair that everybody else sits bare skin. And their name is "health beauty"??? Really?

I bought a voucher for lower and upper legs laser hair removal. After the session, the lady tried to sell other packages, I said no to all. The she asked me if I am interested in having the knees done.

The knees are not part of the full leg? They asked for another $100 for the knees. Who would would have lower and upper legs and not the knees? The voucher is a scam to get get more money out of customers. The package is made in such a way that you have no choice but spend more.

Why did she tell me after the session, after I was dressed? Very unprofessional!!

This is the worse "spa" I have ever been. This is the last time I am buying a coupon.
May 4, 2016
1 posts
Worst place ever. I started off with a purchase on Living Social for the $199 "Unlimited" laser deal. First of somehow the owner decides on what is "Unlimited" as it is 8 sessions and if you call and cancel they still count as no shows. The owner, in her 50's is a n extremely rude and unprofessional woman. When I went for my first session in June last year, I told her I want chin, upper lips, under arms and full brazilian and I would pay extra for one body part. So i paid extra for third body part. Then just like the last review, she didnt go all the way back so I asked her and she said oh thats another $100. So i paid another $100. Then she starts selling me the upper legs. In the next session I started my upper legs and she starts selling me lower legs which i bought. In the third session she starts my lower legs but this time it was a much nicer girl Sevine (I dont know how she can work for this woman but anyway), she sold me buttocks so the fourth session is when i started my buttocks. By the third session I had realized that they had ripped me off $100 as the back of the Brazilian should have been included in the original 7 body parts, so Sevine offered me the area around naval to compensate. Then on my 6th session I find out that somehow after paying over $800 they have me down for 2 no shows and I am furious as to why I would do something and how is that possible given the "Unlimited nature" of the coupon. Turns out the owner sets the rules and tells me to go pay $500 to investigate if i made a call to cancel as she didn't receive any cancellation and the fact that i got "promotional" pricing so i cant complain!!!! Not to mention on their wired chart she counted my sessions and said i only have 1 buttock session left while my face, underarms, full bikini and full legs were finished?? When I complained and showed her the coupon stating unlimited, she pulls out the disclosure that you sign on the first visit stating that you get 8 sessions in a year and her math is sessions 6 weeks apart (52 weeks divided by 6 is 8 sessions)????? So why is this information missing before you get robbed into paying at living social???
I would suggest all you guys to not get enticed by the initial $199 as you would be paying more than premium pricing for services that you wont even get!!
All in all i will doe than to go back to this place!
Jul 3, 2016
1 posts
Hello all,
Horrible service,rude and disrespectful personnel.We purchased on Living Social for the $199 "Unlimited" laser deal.Reading previous reviews,I believe it is done on purpose,they provided a wrong description of the service to LivingSocial so people buy their vouchers and get hit when they come in to redeem.When we came to redeem the voucher,the Clinic personnel refused to acknowledge this voucher and told us that it is only for limited (8) sessions with certain intervals.This wasn't indicated anywhere in the voucher.The clinic personnel was extremely rude,spoke in aggressive tone and blamed everything on living social.They have no clue what Brazilian wax is and trying to force you to purchase an extra services.Please,stay away from this scam and never go there.
Jul 12, 2016
331 posts
177 upvotes
Wow thank you very much for this information, I think it is always better to go and check out the place before making decision.