Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
1722 posts
90 upvotes
Barrie

Atlantis Health, Beauty and Laser Clinic Review, and Complaints

I wish I had listened to people on here when you guys said that you don't get the same service when you buy these deals. I have no one to blame but my own greed/cheapness :facepalm: So I hope this helps someone else not waste their money. Here is my story, it will be a bit long as I intend to be thorough.

I purchased this deal from Dealgetters.com for unlimited laser hair removal for one year on three body parts. Here is a link to the exact deal I purchased:

http://www.dealgetters.com/index.php?de ... gyNjc0YTQz

Prior to buying the deal, I tried calling numerous times just to talk to someone, they do not answer the phone, or return calls, ever. Bad sign number 1. But alas, my cheapness won out over my common sense, I buy the deal anyways :facepalm:

So I go in on my first appointment (it was early June, sorry I don't have the date on hand right now). First thing I notice, its really hard to find. This is because there is only a tiny sign on a door and they are located in the back part of a health food store. That was another red flag to me, however, it is very clean and well decorated, so that helped.

When I go in, I give the man (who is the owner and manages everything) my voucher and tell him what I want to use it on. I wanted to do underarms and brazilian. He argued with me that brazilan does not count as 2 body parts, its actually 3 body parts. I showed him my voucher and he said that dealgetters made a mistake. I informed that is not my fault and he needs to take it up with them. and he eventually agreed. He then tried to offer me deals on my legs etc. saying I could only get this deal this one time. I declined the offers. At this point I was a little bit worried, so I asked him what entails a brazilian in this clinic. He informed me its everything in the front. I've been getting waxed for years... a brazilian is actually everything... front and back... but whatever, I let it go as the wax has... done its job over the years (sorry for the TMI lol).

So going into the treatment, I was led into the room by the woman who would be administering the treatment. Her name I believe was Mery, she is very nice, although also tried to sell me things. The treatment was not painful, I didn't feel it at all, and I was in and out probably in about 10 minutes. The skin in the treated areas was very smooth, and did take a few days longer than usual to grow back. I did notice a difference in my underarms. However, there was no shedding, at any time at all during the 6 weeks in between the appointments. If you've done your LHR research, you know why this is important.

My second treatment was done 6 weeks later, by Parisa. She is nice enough, doesn't understand much English so it was a little uncomfortable. But she managed to also offer me more deals. She took more time, again it was painless. This session turned me off a little because after it was done, I was trying to clean up and get dressed and she just waited and watched me and asked me if I was going to give her a tip. I was a bit put off by how she went about it... I mean my privates are full of jelly, can I have a minute?!

Maybe I'm dumb, but I've LHR and some other treatments done at Toronto Cosmetic Clinic and you don't tip there. That's the only place I've done stuff like this at and I considered it kind of medical, where tipping isn't the norm. I dunno, I guess I was wrong lol

Anyways, although she took more time, the hair grew back quickly and once again no shedding.

I emailed them 4 days ago, and have not received a response.

I'm going to talk to them in person when I go in next, and I will update the thread.

Overall, I'm not happy with the service and whats going on so far. I just feel the owner doesn't care and I'm not expecting any good results, although I will use my full year of treatments.

I hope this helps someone else considering this clinic... you get what you pay for! I don't believe I'll even get my $99 worth lol oh well.
29 replies
Jan 8, 2008
491 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for sharing a story about your VA J J !!
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
1722 posts
90 upvotes
Barrie
LOL dammit I knew RFD couldn't handle the details
Jan 8, 2008
491 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
Hey i wouldve been happy that my private parts are still intact after going to these coupon buys
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
1722 posts
90 upvotes
Barrie
Good point. I hadn't even thought of that before I went. I'm an optimist I guess.

I just hope people read this and start believing that you really will not get the same service/quality etc with these treatments by being cheap and getting these coupons. Or at the very least, don't expect much from this Atlantis laser place...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9473 posts
2650 upvotes
I'm sure the dude had a hidden camera back there and you're probably on Brazilian weekly. So don't be surprised if your privates aren't so private anymore..
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
1722 posts
90 upvotes
Barrie
I'll be sure to look around next time I'm there lol

But lets take the focus off the privates aspect and stick to the issues please :)
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3948 posts
1380 upvotes
Vancouver
Do you know what laser hair removal machine they use? There are some that are more effective than others..
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
1722 posts
90 upvotes
Barrie
They have the Elos, and the Soprano XL. My voucher was for the Soprano.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3948 posts
1380 upvotes
Vancouver
^ Yea the forums at hairtell.com seem to be of the opinion that Soprano isn't that effective. Lightsheer and another one yields the best results. Keep an eye out for the places that have those machines..

So in all, how many sessions did you have and what % hair reduction would you say you have?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
1722 posts
90 upvotes
Barrie
I also heard that the soprano isn't the best laser, but I also read reviews from many people with similar hair/skin type as me who had good results. I thought I would at least see some difference.

So far I have had 2 treatments with 0% reduction in hair. It took a bit longer for underarm hair to grow in, but when it did there was no difference.

I'm hoping after the year there will be some difference. At my next appointment in about a month I intend to ask the guy why I'm not having any shedding and what settings they are using.

I emailed them and had no response and they don't answer the phone, so I'm not happy with their communication (or lack thereof).
Dec 11, 2004
202 posts
4 upvotes
I commented in another thread that I also bought a voucher with them and wish I had read more and skipped this purchase. Anyway, I also got the soprano deal.

I really hate that owner. So rude. He refused to let me do the bikini line at first, but eventually I talked one of the ladies with a bunch of printouts from the deal discussion, and she added it for me. I am doing full legs, forearm, underarm as well.

I've gone three times so far, and I'm seeing shedding on my legs and noticeable reduction, but none in the others. (Underarm I've done at another place already so it doesn't have a lot left) However, it hurt like hell whenever I did it...if not pain, then it was a lot of heat. Haha. For my forearm, I got a lot of white heads after my last visit...none so far this time. I *think* this is the hair shedding? Since I still have my hesitations on how effective it is, I just hope that it works enough so that I didn't screw up my forearm hairs. They've always been fine hairs and I didn't really need it. I'm doing it because my deal was for unlimited body parts and figured why not?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
1722 posts
90 upvotes
Barrie
Thanks for posting Nerak!

Yeah he is really rude, I don't like him either.

Did you tip after your sessions? It doesn't seem right to tip for this type of service
Dec 11, 2004
202 posts
4 upvotes
I gave the technician $20 after she was willing to add the bikini line for me without much hassle at all, and didn't force me to negotiate with the owner again. That's it. They're not worth any actual tip.

I hate that someone always freaking knocks on the door while I'm dressed down. As much as the lady blocks the crack while they talk and that I'm not showing skin that I wouldn't show at the beach, it's unprofessional. Seriously, now that I think about it, it's 3 for 3 so far.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
1722 posts
90 upvotes
Barrie
OK just to update, went for another treatment, asked about the lack of shedding, he said I just need more sessions.

When I got there this woman was upset and asking why his definition of Brazilian is different than the rest of the worlds. I lol'd :D
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
3228 posts
499 upvotes
I'm currently going here on a group deal as well, and I've been to three or four other places for laser hair removal in the past. I'd say Atlantis is somewhere in the middle, not the best by any means, but not the worst (I could tell you horror stories). I'm seeing results on some areas, and not as much on others, but from my experience at other clinics, I think this might have as much to do with the areas being treated as it does with the person doing the treatment. In my experience, bikini/brazillian is one of the least sucessful areas to get significant, lasting, hair reduction on. I've had my bikini line done at two other places and neither one showed good results, friends of mine say the same (and about a number of different machines as well, not just soprano). I've had the best success with areas around my scalp (my sideburns and hairline at the nape of my neck shed like crazy and were almost completely bare after 2-3 treatments), and the worst results on my bikini line and forearms for some reason.

I do agree with you that the service at atlantis can be hit and miss, depending on who's working at the time. The first time I was there, there was an older woman that ran the laser in a tiny little area of my underarm and then stopped. When I told her that my hairline went beyond the area she treated, she said that tiny area was all the underarm covered and that I'd have to pay to have my upper arms done if I wanted a larger area of my underarm lasered. Another $200 or whatever to extend the area by an inch or so? No thanks. :facepalm: The next time I was there was completely different, there was a younger woman working, and when I commented that the way she was treating my forearms (with one slow pass instead of several quick passes) was painful, she explained that that is how they were told to treat larger areas, but immediately changed to the repeated circular passes anyways and checked that that was less painful for me, and she didn't have "unique" definitions of where the boundries of treatment areas were either. ;) The last time I went there was a different middle aged woman (Sherry, I think?) that was friendly and professional, no issues there. I wish there was a way to know who would be working that day when you book your appointment.

So, anyways, while I am getting decent results from the treatments, there definitely are some unsettling things about Atlantis. It's really strange the way they seem to try to conserve the ultrasound gel, I've never before been to a place that scrapes it off one area of your body and then re-uses it on the next...gross, and sometimes they use so little of it the laser catches the skin and gives you an unpleasant jolt. Definitely not the most polished and professional outfit around.

So, while I am seeing shedding and hair reduction in most areas I'm having treated there, I wouldn't go back after the voucher unless these things improve. Their prices are pretty good for the results I'm getting so far, but I think I'd rather pay a bit more and go to one of the other places that I've tried that don't try to re-define treatment areas, don't skimp on the ultrasound gel, and give you enough towels to clean yourself up without you having to beg for every piece...what's with that anyways? :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
55 upvotes
$99 for the year sounds really cheap!
I'm not sure I'd want to get this done at a salon.

I have only been to a cosmetic doctor's office that did laser and ended up getting a deal as I knew someone there (was charged $50 or $70 for 3 small body parts) per treatment.
But it was the actual doctor that did the laser treatment....

I have also seen some medical clinics, like the walk in ones that do laser now.....those seem like they would be ok?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
1722 posts
90 upvotes
Barrie
Thanks for your post jerrysiz! I just saw it now :) you're right, it definitely depends on who you get lol and yeah, the gel!!! I was wondering about the whole scrape and reuse thing LOL I've never seen that done before either.

I am seeing better results now surprisingly. Underarms is pretty good, I can go for like a week and not any hair, bikini area is improved, but patchy (tmi? Lol )

Its definitely not the most professional place, I agree with everything you said. Thanks for the informative post :)
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
1722 posts
90 upvotes
Barrie
Bookpreviews wrote: $99 for the year sounds really cheap!
I'm not sure I'd want to get this done at a salon.

I have only been to a cosmetic doctor's office that did laser and ended up getting a deal as I knew someone there (was charged $50 or $70 for 3 small body parts) per treatment.
But it was the actual doctor that did the laser treatment....

I have also seen some medical clinics, like the walk in ones that do laser now.....those seem like they would be ok?
Wow thats a good deal! 3 small areas for $50-75/treatment is good, especially done by a doctor, where was this?

I think the walk in ones would be ok too
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
55 upvotes
chickibum wrote: Wow thats a good deal! 3 small areas for $50-75/treatment is good, especially done by a doctor, where was this?
I think the walk in ones would be ok too
This was in Ottawa I'd say 8+ years ago.
I had gone to a eye surgeon for a apt and he was starting a cosmetic kind of thing but just with lasers and eye surgery a few years ago.
I was prob one of the first clients there also.
But I'm pretty sure the doctor sold his clinic and is now only working as a eye surgeon in a hospital now -I don't live in that part of the city,it is 1.5 hours away,so not so easy to check out.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)